Health - Minimising AIDS in Heroin addicts

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by WrtngCocaineTutorial, Dec 15, 2006.

1. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    After watching the https://drugs-forum.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&id=1247&catid=39 Video in the files archive, I got an idea for minimising the "blood borne" decease’s associated with heroin addiction:
    I have installed one of these "special syringes" on his arm, and it's whether easier nor harder to install than using a needle straight to the arm..

Special syringe

You can use the same barrel as You uses as normally uses when shooting up with a needle+barrel. Because there's a valve on the top of it which don't allow any blood to come out, decease’s wouldn’t be spread so easily as the get today. The only thing it requires is that it's flushed with saltwater before and after the herion injection.

The only downfall with it, as I can see it is that it becomes easier for heroin addicts to maintain their addiction, because instead of 3-4 needles/day, they get away with one every 48-72hour, and that way they don't have to think about their veins being used up.. But if you want "street addicts" to use something, it's hard to make them start using it, if it meens more trouble than they usually go through. So I guess if it wasn't easier than it would be used...

But in my opinion that's a small price to pay, to minimise the spreading of HIV and hepatitis, after all the used up veins don't stop all the addicts from continuing shooting up. The biggest problem is probably getting the $$$ to contines the habit

I have heard estimates that over 10% of heroin addicts in London had HIV. Which is a LOT of people.

Such "special syringes" are availible at SWIM's local drugstore. And if they're not availble where You live, they're probably easy to purchase online

Any thoughts?

1. 1/5,
      for source discussion by PM
      Dec 15, 2006
  2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Minimising AIDS in Herion addicts

The "special syringes" are iv cannulae (Venflons, in the UK).

It's an interesting idea, but not one SWIJ is sure she agrees with.

The particulate matter injected when injecting street stuff means that a cannula is HIGHLY unlikely to last even 24 hours, let alone 48-72 (SWIJ knows this from experience working with IVDU's).

Cannulae are also more traumatic to veins than a 21G needle, and WILL screw up veins quickly.

There is also a much higher risk of bacteraemia +/- thrombosis, as the cannula remains in place, providing an in-dwelling line.

They're harder to insert than a standard needle, and attempts could well result in MORE punctures than just using a needle in the first place. SWIJ also can't imagine getting one in without using both hands (although a colleague of hers claimed to be able to do it with one hand)

3. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.

Swim wondered how would you go about with a venflon stuck in your arm, I think that its not a bad idea for someone not working but if you have to goto work it would be hard to hide and even harder trying not to knock it.

4. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

I has never used iv drugs, but SWIm has used it for medicine for mayn months.

Had the veneflon in his arm ca 5-6days at a time. This was too long. And eventually his veins got "used up". If he would have had it only 48-72hours the vein wouldn't have time to get really irritated. And it would not get "used up", because he would change before that happened. And than it requires much less time to heal. It was always flushed with 10ml saltwater beofre and after.

He installed it on himself ca 5 times, when there was no nurse to help, and he got it clogged. With a little practice, it's not hard at all.

"Swim wondered how would you go about with a venflon stuck in your arm, I think that its not a bad idea for someone not working but if you have to goto work it would be hard to hide and even harder trying not to knock it."

the veneflon can be attacted lots of places. SWIm used to have it on his overarm (not sure if it's called that - the space between the elbow and the hand)

SWIM cut a clean sock's top of, and put it on his arm. He never got problems with it. And used sterilised padding so that it wouldn't get in contact with something during the day.

The only big issue the way SWIM sees it is that the degree of pureness of the heroin varies, and some are more crude than others. Due to my own experiences, I think that they'll last at least 48hours. but i might be wrong.It's my estimation.

the crude herion will take it's toll on the veins, no matter if it comes through a plastic veneflon, or a steel needle. but if this would work, there would be much less likelyhood of spreading the most serious of diseases

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006