Mirabilis multiflora

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Softrat, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with Mirabilis multiflora? It is impossible to find any specific information about this plant's effects. The only thing stated about it is that it is a hallucinogen. There is never further elaboration about what kind of hallucinogen, or if it is it's own unique thing.

2. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    all I know is that it was used by the native tribes in the midwest as a sacrament. Ive been very interested in thissubstance myself, but I dont know anyone whos actually tried it =/ Edited by: allyourbase

3. PenguinPhreak

PenguinPhreak Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It certainly sounds interesting. I have seen claims that is is
    "mescaline like" but that is by people selling the plant so you have to
    take that with a grain of salt. I am considering trying some out, Ill
    be sure to post a trip report if I do.

4. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have seena source for powder alkali extract of this, its not very expensive and supposedly 1/4th of a gram is a good quantity. Edited by: allyourbase

5. jaguarangel

jaguarangel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim's friend has an extract of it. Does anyone know its use in this form?

6. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    any new imput about this thread?

swim might have the opportunity to buy a mirabilis multiflora living plant this weekend, so he needs to know whether or not it is active as soon as possible...any trip report?

I think an alcaloidal extract is sold from a webshop somewhere, anyone tried it? Or anyone tried the root?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  7. hul gil

hul gil Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim bought seeds for this flower last year at the time I remember reading that mirabilis contained dmt and have recently only found minimal articles to back this up along with possible 5meodmt, believe the root was the source of alkaloids as any articles I has found recently say the root is used for divination.
    I has yet to find the alkaloid info read originally that encouraged swim to buy the seeds but I am going to continue to search for proper alkaloid identification and let me know.

8. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Mirabilis multiflora is a very interesting plant. I would appreciate it if someone would search the net for info about Mirabilis multiflora and post it in this thread.

9. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    There was a report in The Entheogen Review ["The marvels of Mirabilis multiflora" by Phillip Hambly, TER 9(2):100], but SWIS does not have it to hand. The following is a synopsis of the article (taken from a discussion on another forum):

Hambly says the fresh roots have a peppery tatse, and numb the mouth. He gives 1-2 ounces of finely powdered dried root as a dose, and says "Its effects are more of a 'happy-go-lucky' type of 'feel-good' inebriant, than a profound psychoptic like mescaline or LSD." and "30 to 90minutes after ingesting, one experiences merriment, light heartedness, and a tendency to laugh or giggle commence. After a couple of hours these effects are followed by muscular lethargy, slurred speech, blurred vision, and eventually it aids in restful sleep." However of one friend of his who also tried it, he said "20 minutes after eating it she became nauseous, threw up, and had no other effects at all".

Interesting.

10. Perception Addict

Perception Addict Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Another forum states this:

"tried the root of a plant grown from a patch containing multiflora,jalapa and dicotoma[?] ,according to the signs.what actually happened was i had grown some and was peeling the root ,intending to dry it prior to smoking.there was a lot of liquid from the root and my hands became covered in liquid.i noticed a stimulation that lasted an hour or so i think,then i had visitors and i became quite befudled,everything was dificult.the befudlement is what stopped me repeating the exp.have a vauge memory i may have moved my bowels a little eary on.later i read a similar discription in pharmacotheon."

Otherwise, it's rather hard to find information on this plant, at least as far as psychoactive properties. It's generally said to have been ingested by the Hopi as a divination tool, one website said that it was used ingested for use in divination to find ailments in others.

11. hul gil

hul gil Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was wandering the internet and stumbled across info on miribilis multiflora at
    [http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Mirabilis+multiflora ] not alot of info but definately more than I had before.I will keep searching
    By the way under medicinal uses it discusses native americans using root for hallucinogenic purposes not much more than that .cheers

12. hul gil

hul gil Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Here's alittle more info http://kosmicjourney.org/encyclopedia/m/mirabi.htm . also has a couple more links, I guess this plant info will trickle in slow and possible study ,
    swims seeds finally came up after 1 1/2 weeks so we will find out a little more experience info at harvest time which I will have to look up to see when it is best to harvest root whether after one season two ?

13. zapatista

zapatista Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From swim's experience, there is no recreational or entheogenic value to this plant as currently present by merchants. search some reports.
    All I ever got from this was a sleepy feeling.
    Z

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  14. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    probably best to harvest after 2+ but who knows? try some from a 1 year old crop then harvest another after 2 years.oh yea its best to copy the artical instead of the link.links tend to go down.

http://kosmicjourney.org/encyclopedia/m/mirabi.htm
    This herbaceous perennial grows to about three feet tall. It is native from southern California to northern Mexico. Mirabilis multiflora is a member of the Nyctaginaceae family. The grayish-green leaves are heart-shaped. The pinkish-purple flowers are about two inches long. The fruit contains one seed and forms at the base of each flower. The black seeds are about the size of a pea. So'ksi has a large tuberous root that bears blossom-studded clumps. These die back every winter and begin to grow again in early summer. Native American Indians have used the root of this plant for its medicinal properties. Hopi medicine men would use it for diagnostic divination. The tuber would be chewed and the juice swallowed. The Tewa would grind it and make infusions for swellings. The Zuni would mix the ground root with hot or cold water to counter overeating. Other uses for Desert Four O'clocks include: for children's ailments, as an entheogen, for gastritis, kidney ailments, mouth sores and skin ailments.
    Mirablis multiflora enjoys a fertile, well-drained soil in full sun to partial shade. Propagation is by seed and division. Sow seeds in April indoors and plant out after last frost. A twenty-four hour warm water soak may help increase germination rate. Divisions are done in the spring, after the plant begins to show new growth. This tender perennial is not cold hardy. The tubers should be harvested and overwintered in a cool frost-free location.

References

Growing the Hallucinogens, Hudson Gruber, published Twentieth Century Alchemist p. 62-63
    [​IMG] (Online edition)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  15. e_choco_o

e_choco_o Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from korea_south
    The root, which can grow to monumental sizes and may weigh 5 pounds or more, is the part used in native medicine. Basically, it is an appetite suppressant, which serves to numb the mouth and gastric mucosa while producing a kind of mild stimulation. The root may be chewed or made into tea or liquid extract. There is an ethnological report of the use of this root by the Hopi as a hallucinogen, but ingestion of sufficient quantities to cause trance would almost certainly produce extreme gastric discomfort as well (not recommended)

http://budget.net/~herbseed/Maravilla.htm

16. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    ''This tender perennial is not cold hardy''

well actually it is cold hardy , problem is that most of the seeds are not from a cold hardy provenance. you should overwinter it in a greenhouse first 2 winters , it can survive cold winters if you give it a good mulch - the above foliage dies but the roots and growth center will be ok. in zone 7 & 8 it will be more like a die-back perrenial. Mirabilis multiflora grows in utah - colorado however the winters are dry and there is sunny weather during the day. it will have more difficulty growing in scandinavia ( netherlands, united kingdom ) because of wet winters.

i've seen this plant in gardens for a fact most mirabilis naturalized in europe.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017