Experiences - Mirtazepine works wonders!!!

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by a4stringedwonder, Feb 1, 2006.

1. a4stringedwonder

a4stringedwonder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just a little something I discovered that has turned out to be very helpfull

anyone who has used coke heavily before knows that horrible feeling of coming down after a day(s) of heavy cocaine use. I personally find that most of the time the comedown after a full day or many days of coke isnt worth it. I have tried many things from lorazepam to xanax to ease the comedown, in hope of getting some sleep... Most all of them definately eased the comedown by LESSENING the paranoia. None of them were able to get me to sleep.

Recently i was prescribed Remeron (mirtrazapine) to help me sleep and lessen the irritability brought on by my 60mg dose of adderall daily. It worked well for exactly that.

So... i figured that if Remeron is effective at helping me sleep after the stimulating effects of a high dose of adderall and at the same time lessen the irratibility... then i wonder if it will work as well helping me sleep after another stimulant (cocaine).

So one night, after a full day of coke, i took 30mg of remeron about 30 minutes after my last line.

i lie down in bed, turn off the lights (this is right after i come down after my last line), and im asleep within 30 minutes!!!

I personally suggest using mirtrazapine (if you have a prescription) to aid in the come down of coke or another stimulant.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    And I strongly suggest that you read the rules and avoid sel-incrimination. No need to indict yourself. Use the search engine above and type SWIM.

3. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I used remeron as well to get to sleep, the nice thing about it is that it works fast and won't make SWIM tired and dull the next morning

4. thatsall

thatsall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    I was perscirbed remeron for depression and anxiety. It didnt work well for me because i was jsut zombified. BUt as far as for going to sleep it was queen majestic. It works awesome, and also i would like to add that at this point in my life i was having some sever insomnia. I no longer take it but when i did i also took 30mg of extended release adderall. Like he said it completely calms you down and also helps your appetite. Swim also knows it works well to use it for coke comedown/sleep aid. One thing i disagree with is that you dont feel dull the next day. I felt almost copmpletey drained and empty. Very sluggish and zombie like. But like they say it affetcs all differently.

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Why is this in the antipsychotic forum? Mirtazepine is an antidepressant...

1. 3/5,
      graet pic in your sig
      Dec 14, 2007
  6. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Whoops: frenzy of tidying late last night! Sorted.

She also realises it's a Noradrenergic/Specific Serotonergic Agent but thought it fitted OK in SSRI's

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
    1. 3/5,
      Old post, but it is not an SNRI, it's a NASSA, and doesn't do any RI
      Dec 3, 2008
  7. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, I was prescribed Remeron for insomnia as well whilst I was also on Paxil. I attribute most of the flattened affect during that time period to Paxil, but I believe Remeron played a role. It also made me gain about 20 pounds (I've heard from others about this side effect that my shrink neglected to mention, thanks doc), but I was on a rather large dosage (I can't recall now how much I was on, but I remember that it was high up on the scale, may have been the highest dosage...this was after I had worked my way up, of course). However, Remeron worked like a charm for insomnia. It knocked me right out although it usually left me feeling a bit drowsy in the morning, but that's just me. There's a bit of a tolerance factor, but it's not too bad especially in comparison to benzodiazipines.

8. astenu

astenu Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    remeron is great for sleep and anxiety but it strips away your cognitive abilities the following day. after a few weeks of continued use your body will likely adapt to the zombified effect at 15mg(bare minimum dose)

9. yamman13

yamman13 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Mirtazapine works wonders!!!

How does it take for the effects to kick in im 80 kilos, was 30
    mg?

10. bob_arctor

bob_arctor Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden

I was prescribed mertazepine for depression and sleep disorder after going through some SSRI's. Experience was that it was not effective against depression in this case. Initially it helped falling asleep, but after 5 days such effects faded out.

On a side note: this was my clearest experience of sideeffect of gaining weight (remeron apparently enabled "continously hungry"-mode") - 12 kg in a week! After cessation those extra kgs were gone within two weeks. Felt very strange.

11. Pino

Pino Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from The Netherlands

I haven't good experiences with remeron. They aren't really bad. I tried it a couple of times, they helped a lot with sleeping, but the next day he still felt sleepy. Not only the morning but the whole day. I didn't used it, when on a prescription. He got them from a friend to help him sleep well in a stressy period.

12. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:

mirtazapine antagonises presynaptic alpha 2 adrenergic receptors - indirectly increasing 5-HT and Noradrenaline (Norepinephrine).

It's blocking at the 5-HT and NA re-uptake site is probably very minimal in terms of it's mode of action.

It also has potent antagonism at histamine receptors which certainly adds to the sedation. +blocks 5HT2/3

Gives a wonderfull 12 hours of sleep, unfortunately daytime effects can be quite rough. I would agree "feeling like a zombie" is probably the best way to describe it the one time they ingested it.

13. bob_arctor

Reputation Points:
    from sweden

Interesting. I am not surprised that the sedative effects of mirtazepine wears of pretty quickly then, if it exerts antagonism at the histamine receptors. Fascinating.

14. Pino

Pino Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from The Netherlands

At higher dosages (around 90 mg), the sleepiness will leave. But I got there minor OEV and medium CEV for in the place during the day. He still has two left. But I don't see this as a fun drug. Great for sleeping half a day.

15. kareena

kareena Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have to agree with a number of the points made in this thread: SWIM once used mirtazapine for a while when depressed and anxious but specifically for insomnia. Although the anti-insomnia effects waned after a while it was always pretty effective for that, definately not so much for the former two. Completely zombified for a while after intiating use, this kind of waned too with time, although maybe SWIM just got used to it. SWIM expects it's a great come down drug as the OP stated, if used sparingly and when not contraindicated.

16. Geemonster

Geemonster Guest

Reputation Points:
    Mirtazapine works for a while,then some people build a tolerance to it and either increase their dose or try something else.

17. Solinari

Solinari Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I get mirtazapine prescribed as well, it has definitely made me gain weight which probably wasn't a bad thing since size 32 jeans were too big for me at the time. Now it is getting to be a little too much around the ol' waist area.

As for the sedative effects, they have pretty much worn off for me but it does help as well as some prescribed temazepam, but the short half life of the temazepam doesn't allow me to stay asleep. I also think the mirtazapine is causing my extremely vivid dreams and sleep paralysis as well as the odd "false awakenings". The so called false awakenings are the worst, well i suppose they are sort of false awakening i dream that i am awake and blackout in my dream only to wake up in another dream. It's hard to explain, the horrible thing is, when it happens it seems to be an almost sinister presence that is doing this to me on purpose. Then i can suddenly come out of it, very sudden, like sleep paralysis as well (which can also make you think there is a "sinister presence" in your room doing this to you on purpose).

Anyway, i would not be happy about an increase in dosage, so i will probably resist that, and i don't find them particularly useful as an anxiolytic.

18. bob_arctor

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
  19. Solinari

Solinari Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I hadn't considered Night Terrors before, some parts of the article seem to fit but as far as i know i always remember what happened. I think it might have an element of sleep paralysis, false awakenings/night terrors and lucid dreaming.

As i said my dreams are very vivid and i can recall my dreams very well. More often than not i work out i am dreaming using a 'reality test' where i hold my nose in my dream and if i can still breath through it, then i know i am dreaming. Despite being aware that i am dreaming i can rarely control the dreams and i have only had full lucidity a couple of times, even then the only thing i could do was fly, but the context and characters of my dreams is something i couldn't control. Or when i realise i am dreaming i begin to wake up, in fact i have told the characters in my dreams that i know this is a dream and that you're not real, then i can feel myself sort of blacking out in my dream and i wake up.

It's when i sort of black out and wake up in a dream that the horrible stuff happens. That's when the sinister element can start when it seems there is either some one in my room (can even be a big spider on my covers even although i probably have my eyes closed), or it's just some thing deliberately preventing me from waking up and toying with me to its amusement.

Hard not to type a lot about what happens because it can vary a lot and different things can happen.

20. MrMouse

MrMouse Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Anecdotally speaking I agree.
    My pet chimp took 7.5mg per night for 4 weeks which worked well initially for insomnia and weight gain. No discernable change in mood except a slight shortening of anger threshold. On continuation of the experiment at the same dose drifting off to sleep became far more difficult to achieve with waking vivid dreams an almost nightly occurance. It should be noted that even after extensive (work related) physical excercise (8 hrs p/d) sleep was far more difficult to achieve than prior to the experiment and average nightly sleep reduced to 3-5 hrs and this remains true. However curiously fatigue has not been noted.