1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Injecting - Missed Swollen hand

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by redrivergorge, Sep 4, 2008.

1. redrivergorge

redrivergorge Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I started using his hands recently. SWIM happed to miss in his hand for the first time last night. my hand has been hurting and is pretty swollen. I have been researching and can't figure out if this happens sometimes or if I should be worried about it.

2. msmogadon

msmogadon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from scotland
    SWIM resorted to using her hands when dodgy gear messed up her arms to the point of no use. In the hand its difficult to get all the liquid in the vein theres always some escaping of the fluid around the vein for SWIM and I have a few nasty hard lumps left over. The hand swells up for about 3/4 days and will return to normal if left alone which can be hard if the arms cant be used.
    is there anyway You could go back to the arms?? The hands not nice and hard to hide too

3. jon-q

jon-q Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  4. msmogadon

msmogadon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from scotland
    Sorry Jon-q i meant for the original poster to try going back to their arms.
    It has been 6 days since SWIM put a needle in herself :)

5. NeverSober

NeverSober Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I wouldnt worry unless it doesnt go away by the next day. I have missed a few times and it always goes away eventually with no lasting problems.....

6. olduncle

olduncle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    While it's considered less 'safe' for various medical reasons, veins in many people's feet are just as easy to access as those in their hands. From a non-detection perspective, these are indeed much 'safer' than the hands, but you'll be a limpin' and otherwise miserable fool if you miss.

7. SamIam

SamIam Newbie

Reputation Points:
    In my cat's experience, a swollen hand was nothing to worry about. She always THOUGHT she had a vein, but apparently not because the hand swelled every time. Eventually my cat wised up and decided to go back to areas she could hit easily. Give it time. It might be a good idea to relocate your injection site. Hands a shitty thing to not be able to use.

8. redrivergorge

redrivergorge Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks everyone the swelling went down. SWIM can't go back to the arms especially after learning about vein collapse. I am going to make sure he hits for now on. Part of his problem is a rig so old he can't pull the plunger back one handed someone else has to do it. So feet might be my answer.

9. olduncle

olduncle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    While everyone's pets have the necessary bag of old rig tricks, ranging from sharpening them on a matchbook to oiling the plunger with things as nasty as earwax, in the internet age there is no reason for such drastic measures except in drastic circumstance. Your African Three-Banded Macaque can buy as many brand new syringes as it could ever need safely and securely and privately and inexpensively online, and should. My bird is real glad every time one of the many problems the doper experiences is solved, and has hundreds of new rigs on hand at all times, throwing them away after each use just like the HR folks have always advised. Big change from the 'reuse until it falls apart' days, and a welcome one.

Be careful the first time you try your bird's foot, and use an insulin pin.

10. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Needle Exchange Program!!! Obviously, they don't "Advertise" and often keep a low profile, but they are around. SwiS has one about 45min from his home, but he used deformed shitty old pins for a couple years before he discovered it.......

Look For It....Start w/ swiYour County Health Dept.(or whatever it's called where swiY live). Stay Anon, but go ahead and ask an advisor or HIV prevention counseler and they can help swiY.

Really....Take this Seriously! because it IS SERIOUS. The exchange programs usually have Alcohol swabs, anti-biotic ointment, gauze, etc. They will also have ways to properly dispose of swiYour pins. SwiS always takes his in (they get funding for more used ones brought in).

Anyway, swiS wasn't trying to run a commercial, but just say, make sure to research it....better than jamming some year old, dull, rusted, pipe into swiYour arm! If the swollen hand was bad (swiS has had it many times), a bunch or nasty abscess's will be a nightmare!

S

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    Please consider to post a picture. This will give people that consider injecting in hands and wrists a heads up on how tough it is when it goes wrong.

12. nick23

nick23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Chop it off........you'll still have another one.Maybe think about a hook.

Seriously,keep an eye on it,try a hot flannel and if it gets worse off to the er.

13. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    SwiS is really sorry about repeating himself, but wanted to make sure any Newb would understand to look around: "Needle Exchange Program" !!!

Free, Anonymous, could be a life saver...seriously.

S

14. ottzi

ottzi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    19 y/o from alabama
    About we hours or so ago I attempted to hit myself for the first time. I've been hit by close friends several times and decided it was time to stop depending on people. I used a rig that I'd only used once before earlier that day (I had a family member hit me) I had the family member just spoken of do the prep for me as I was busy with the hotel manager downstairs. When I got back I took a clean wash rag soaked it in hot water and held it on the spot I decided to iv... The back of my hand.. u now know this wasn't smart but they were the only veins that were well pronounced. I tied off with a charging cable in my mind I suppose I was doing it for "good measure" it being my first time hitting my self and all. I held the rig at what I'd day was a 100-110 degree angle with the point facing towards me I'm not sure if the eye of the point was up or not as I didn't know that you should at that time. When I pierced I pulled back on the plunger and nothing. I ease out just slightly and try again and it registers. I release the tie off (which was in my mouth) and proceeded to push the plunger all was well until about 3/4 of the way and my hand flinched slightly sending the rig just ever so deeper thinking nothing of it paying close attention I pulled the rig out to exactly where it was before (I was extremely focused) but didn't re register. Needless to say I ended up skin the popping or missing the rest by mistake. When it first happened it just stung. I took the towel re soaked it and while using it to put heat I also used it to rub the miss to increase surface area (I knew to do this as an ex of mine missed a shot on me before) after 15 or so minutes of rubbing and soaking the top of my hand was numb. Now at this moment it's slightly swollen and the muscle is sore along with a small area at the area of injection being numb. It hasn't gotten worse in fact it's gotten quite better. Any thoughts on not only what should do for this case but how I should change my routine for the future?

15. ottzi

ottzi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    19 y/o from alabama
    I'm sorry wrong thread as I was using ice as my doc also I had mentioned to say about 24 hours ago at the beginning

16. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

Few little things to consider and just keep in mind. It sounds like your being pretty diligent about knowing the proper procedure. When it comes to hands and smaller veins DO NOT push that plunger even remotely fast. NICE AND SLOW. I actually had changed to using 1/2 cc instead of 1 cc syringes so as I push slow it's even than much less going in. The pressure down there is less, watch when it starts to fill when it registers, watch how slowly the blood fills, you wanna go slower than this. One thing that I've always had issues with and typically done against what they say, I tie off, hit/register but usually I shoot before releasing. This can be very bad but if your careful and there is still enough flow you can be safe. The reason is so many times when I released the tie I guess the shrink in the vein and I was no longer in. The needle moved on me all the time, but sad to say after doing it 1000's of times you get a good feel for adjusting and keeping it in. You can tell from the pressure required to inject and sometimes some burning.

Honestly, not here to preach about it at all but if your just starting to inject either rethink it and just go back to a safer ROI. I know that is not going to happen for most, I wouldn't have listened so that said at least do these few things. You want your veins to last and heal and not have issues. By not following I've had good veins that should have lasted and lasted go bad in a week or two.

SO: 1st: Always new fit/rig. They are cheap if not free. Dull ones that hook will chew you up like crazy. 2nd: This is big and the one I never followed. When I would find a spot, I would use the shit out of it since it would hit so damn good every time. Also from using it's expanded a bit like a balloon so you can register even easier. BUT... Your just going to blow it out. Key is ROTATE ROTATE ROTATE. Find a few spots, go ahead and hit your good one a time or two then move on. Let that sucker heal. I injected w/o issue for many many years and when I was last doing it it would often take me 20 minutes just to come close to finding a spot and then end up missing. I couldn't believe it. For all those years I barely had to look, I would just stab, push, done.... once you get to those smaller veins and since the others were not treated properly and didn't heal right and will never work again you'll regret it.

BE SAFE......Oh one other little think I used to do. When it would register I would kind of hold the barrel of the syringe down against my hand/arm so it was steady. If your just holding it there, it slides in/out too easy. Even so, if your going SLOW feel for that pressure required and you'll know right away if there is a problem.

Like I mentioned long ago early in this thread. The needle exchanges nearly always have a nurse or health care professional that will discuss these things with you and make sure your being safe and keeping your body healthy...

ALL THE BEST... S

17. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Sorry to babble more, but had one more comment that is very important. If your using your hands, your only inches from your wrist and your bound to find those good veins that run along there. BE CAREFUL. There are lots of nerves thru there. I've hit/bumped a few times and had my wrist in so much pain. One time by touching the spot on my wrist I got a sharp pain up through the back of my hand, I guess since how the nerves ran. Keep shallow, try to avoid that area totally if possible.