1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Oral use - Mixing Kratom with other beverages

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by promnthevs, Mar 24, 2010.

1. promnthevs

promnthevs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Does You ever mix kratom tea with other drinks? I don't really mind the taste of kratom tea, but nevertheless experiments from time to time. Occasionally, SWIM mixes it with black tea and it is surprisingly palatable. Last night, SWIM actually mixed kratom tea with tonic water and it wasn't bad (I was hoping that the carbonation would settle his stomach; SWIM almost always drinks some cola after kratom anyhow).

I have read various reports of people mixing some type of alcohol or other with kratom, but as far as SWIM's experience goes, he has only mixed it with high proof vodka solely for the purpose of extraction.

2. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Grapefruit juice, obviously?:D

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I do not add anything to Kratom Tea usually, occasionally he has tried adding something extra just for taste but as he likes his tea strong and boiled down to the smallest amount its very difficult to mask the taste and besides he likes to down it in one rather than savour the taste.
    If using extracts he likes to make a cup of chamomile tea and add the powder to that before downing it all in one.

Swim can imagine if he was using small doses of Kratom and the tea was week enough than he would be able to get away with using additives, I would probably use Yerba Mate or Green Tea.

Unfortunately when I would make Kratom tea it would end up a very dark liquid, like Coffee and Cream almost, so tasting anything other than its own bitterness would be impossible. I have seen photos of other people Kratom Tea and it was a clear liquid, so it was either pretty week or it had been diluted down or made with a lot of water.

4. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've often wondered about the metabolism of mitragynine and friends. Thus far I have been unable to find anything on the specific isozymes involved. If it is metabolized by CYP 3A4, grapefruit juice would be expected to alter the metabolism due to it's inhibition of CYP 3A4. However, my sources also state that it is the 7-hydroxy form of mitragynine that is the more potent species. So whether or not grapefruit juice potentiates or inhibits the activity or does nothing at all, is completely open to debate.

I've asked this several times in different threads, but here's hoping: If anyone out there can shed some light on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

5. semaj

semaj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I dont make his in tea, if its plain powdered leaf he mixes in chocolate icecream microwaved to a milkshake like consistency, using as little icecream as possible.

if its UEI hes using, he puts a gram in a shot glass and mixes with hot water and downs in one gulp.

6. promnthevs

promnthevs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have tried concentrating his tea by heating it over a very low burner (around 50-60 C) for a long time. However, this poses a problem. As the liquid evaporates, and the water level goes down, it leaves behind a precipitate on the container that is extremely difficult to remove. SWIM considers this wasteful, so he doesn't boil down his tea usually. However, if I had alarger evaporating dish or something with a comparably smooth surface, he might consider doing it more often.

First of all, a definition in place. A potentiator is something that actually alters the response to an antigen or agonist. For example, some H_1 receptor antagonists, such as hydroxyzine and diphenhydramine, have been reported to be opioid potentiators. They actually alter the means by which opioid receptor agonists (probably, the only one of interest here is the mu) bind to their intended receptors, or what happens after something binds to those receptors. The pharmacological definition of "potentiation" is the synergistic activity of two drugs.

As far as I know, grapefruit juice (GFJ) does not potentiate anything (since it is not a drug), but rather, it merely inhibits a few enzymes of which many drugs and other xenobiotics happen to be substrates. This increases the oral bioavailability of some drugs by minimizing their "first-pass" hepatic metabolism. In essence, using GFJ with some drugs lets you take a smaller dose and get the effect of a larger dose.

If a person wants to find out whether GFJ effects kratom's metabolism, all that person would have to do is drink 300 or so mL of GFJ, wait 30-60 minutes, and take half a normal kratom dose. If the dose is effective, the GFJ is increasing the bioavailability of kratom. If the dose seems lackluster, then it probably didn't have any effect. "Normal dose" is important here; the experimenter couldn't abstain from kratom for 3 weeks, take a smaller dose with GFJ, and then claim that GFJ is effective. Obviously this outline of an experiment could be repeated with alteration of variables to yield more conclusive results. The biggest obstacle is that it's difficult or impossible to measure how effective a given dose is, i.e. "how high did You get from that dose?".

Ultimately, since You would be doing the experiment from a subjective point of view, it doesn't really matter how rigorous it is. Just try to answer the question, "does SWIM enjoy kratom more after drinking GFJ or not?"

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ You are confusing synergism and potentiation, each of which are distinct pharmacological concepts. But this is getting too off topic. We can continue the discussion elsewhere if you are so inclined.

8. shivakiva2112

shivakiva2112 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Jasim, elsewhere in the forum a poster once told my cat that DXM and grapefruit juice are effective potentiators of kratom (as well as opiates, but we all know that).

Unfortunately, kitty's recollection does not serve to provide their own experience potentiating kratom with DXM and/or GFJ, although they think they've tried it with noticeable results.

9. promnthevs

promnthevs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Where are you getting your definitions?

10. Sob4life

Sob4life Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.
    Grapefruit juice intensifies the affects of many drugs it's on labels xanax on labels of other benzos. I don't know how but the enzymes in the juice interact with the drugs and for like heart medications it can kill ya, but with benzos and Kratom it just intensifies the effects but you gotta be careful with that s*** I'm about to try Kratom 15 gram capsules for the first time and just as a precaution I'm just going to take one at a time they are 15g a piece. Give it at least an hour. I was a narcotic abuser, went on a heroin snorting bing for a bit, and got wrapped upin meth for about a month. Off meth for anout five days, then outta no where went into a rage filled mood. I dont need to feel that way around my kids....period, just trying to stabalize my mood so I can stay the hell away from that Ice shit..! Eff that!!!!! I ended up snorting about two lines of the clear to stave off the rage (only reason) and someone at NA suggested Kratom. Cause two of my triggers is anger, and no energy.... Hoping this works any feedback???

11. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I would recommend you start with no more than 5 grams.
    15 grams is a huge dose and possibly a waste.
    Higher doses often just mean more negative side effects, not more positives.
    Start with 5 grams on an empty stomach, make sure you buy from a reputable vendor and avoid head/smoke shops and legal high sites.

Tags: