Mixing opiods, opiates, etc.

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Desertfox, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Desertfox

Desertfox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was wondering if anyone knows if its a bad idea to mix opiates.
    Is it dangerous to take oxycotton and also pop some vicoden. or eat some fentanyl and snort a line of oxycotton. i know its always bad to mix drugs but is it dangerous to mix the same kind of drugs.

2. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I know that it's not particularly dangerous to mix vicoden and oxycotton. Doctors often times prescribe both painkillers to a patient, one for the regular pain, and the other for any "breakthrough pain".

3. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    You should be ok, as long as you watch your doses, as in dont overdose. I've never done or even seen fentanyl, but from what ive read here and elsewhere it is very powerful. I really dont see any major recreational benifit of mixing opies, unless you just ran out of one kind and are moving on to another.

4. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Mixing opiates/opioids

Mixing opiates/opioids is not a good idea. Although, as Sands of Time has mentioned, it is possible to use Vicodin and Oxycontin together in small amounts, the problem with mixing opioids is that:
    1. They work synergistically, often enhancing each other's effects in an exponential and unpredictable way,
    2. Each drug has a slightly different time of onset and washout. This can be used for therapeutic effect, as Sands of Time has mentioned; however, remember that when prescribed, it is done in a planned way and in small doses.

When using a mixture of opioids in larger amounts and in a recreational setting, the onset of drug action can be difficult to time, the efects are difficult to judge, the combined effects are unpredictable, and it is easy to overdose.

In the therapeutic setting, equivalence tables are used; for example, as a rough guide 1g street heroin is equated to approximately 50ml methadone mixture 1mg/ml; one 30mg tablet of dihydrocodeine is approximately equivalent to 3ml methadone mixture 1mg/ml. However, this is only a very very rough guide for Dr's to have a vague idea of what an individual's opiate tolerance might be, and approximately what dose of methadone to prescribe. Of course this depends on local variation in the purity of heroin, as well as the quality and authenticity of other street drugs that are available, as well as what other cocktail of drugs the individual may be taking.

I cannot stress enough the fact that street drugs are highly variable in their purity, cleanliness and strength, and how dangerous it can be to mix and match opiates, especially if injecting.

5. DoorsPerception

DoorsPerception Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yea i agree with silver fox,....but in the past i have mixed dope with oxy and they complimented eat other very nicely. The only thing to be sure of is that you watch the on set times/does especially if bumping becasue the onset can take awhile