Experiences - Modafinil report

Discussion in 'Nootropics' started by seechao, Feb 20, 2007.

1. seechao

seechao Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    I have just received 100g of modafinil, he says he ordered it a very very long time ago, and had given up on it, but 5 months latter, he has a lifetime supply. yay.
    I had never tried it, and was thinking of using it as an alternative to caffeine, so he weighed out 100mg gelcaps on a mg scale, and tried one out, he informs me that it is more akin to wakefullness than stimulation, he took a second one an hour later, and is still free of gitteryness or tension normaly accompanying caffeine, he feels much more focused, and energised...no, envigorated, like he had a great sleep and whent for a swim. He reports an all arround good/happy feeling, and the urge to sleep he had a few hours ago is gone entirely, I will now go do some homework and see how well it works as a study aid. He is also thinking of takeing another 100mg as it's been well over 45 minutes since his last dose, and it has stopped comming on a while back now, he will wait 15 minutes to be safe, then try another 100mg dose.
    I will report later with further developments.
    Has anyone else tried it? What kind of dosages are normal, and what are the effects of takeing too much?

UPDATE: I took another 100mg, then another a few hours later, two was nice, three was pleasant but had a bit of a headache/muscle tension, but the fourth made SWIM very tense and jittery, with a headache that had to be treated with painkillers. SWIM's legs where shakey as well. I think 2 is good for energy, 3 for staying up all night, anything else seems to have too many unpleasant side effects. I thought for sure he would have trouble sleeping, but he layed down and rested for a few minutes, and slept quite well, woke up feeling refreshed, well, as refreshed as he's ever been after 3 hours of sleep.
    I will be giving up caffeine today, switching to 200mg of modafinil in the morning, and a 100mg booster if needed at school, should be easy with this stuff as it works better than caffeine, and he has a whole whack of the stuff :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. jro2112

jro2112 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have taken Modafinil intermittently over the past two months and have come across some troubling side effects. He seems to have some genitourinary dysfunction while affected by the drug: acrid, asparagus smelling urine, oliguria, and bilateral flank pain. The flank pain is especially troubling and has caused him to rethink using the drug all together; luckily, these symptoms abate within hours after last use. These symptoms were not present during SWIM's initial trial, but increased in severity after a few more sessions. Another side-effect experienced by me with Modafinil was hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). While SWIM's blood sugar normally ranges between 60-90, under the effects of Modafinil it increased to levels between 140-190! SWIM fears that constant exposure to this drug in the manner you've suggested may not be the best idea, but everyone's body responds differently, so just be alert for adverse reactions. There's a reason doctors aren't prescribing this substance to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, and why it hasn't replaced the caffeine in every can of Coke. Modafinil can be a useful tool, but don't abuse it; you'll end up getting hurt.

1. 3/5,
      thanks for the heads up
      Feb 27, 2007
  3. seechao

seechao Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    Actualy, I have noticed a few side effects, notably muscle tension at higher doses, I have been using 200mg in the morning about 2 days out of three. But I think it is probably best to keep this in his repertoir for days where he realy needs it, I have had little sleep latly and is in the last 3 weeks of college, so he's been using it quite a bit. I do not seem to feel the need for modafinil like he did caffein(I am now 100% caffein free, and feels much healthier now) he only remembers it if he's tired in the morning, SWIM dosnt think this will lead to constant use, but he has found a much better occasional stimulant for his needs. Thanks for the description of the symptoms you suffered, I will look out for them, I have a bit of diabetes in the family, so he'll check his blood sugar next time he speaks to someone with a tester, wouldnt want to have high blood sugar for long periods with his family history. I am also weary of adulterants or impurities, as he ordered his modafinil from a veterinary chemist in china for a very very low price, it has pappers to certify 99.18%, but he's still being carefull and looking for side effects.

4. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Agreed I have been thinking it smells like asparagus or sulphur type smell (no surprise as it has sulphur in the molecule). Good to finally hear it from another source.

SWIM also found at high doses (over 400mg) definately cause more problems and S/E over any beneficial effects. Over 600mg (especially over a couple of days) causes serious problems in SWIM.

The main problem is modafinil is a subtle drug, so the tendancy is to think increasing dosage is easily tolerated. This is certainly not true. Although it is talked about as a nootropic, at high doses I feel some cognitive functions are lost in exchange for being highly focused. Like focusing SO MUCH on the problem at hand that all other problems get ignored.

SWIM after many trials has found modafinil most usefull in low doses (100/200mg) on occasions such as long shifts / busy days etc. If it is taken on a regular basis I feel there is a definite benefit of taking - for example TWO days off modafinil in a seven day week. It somehow resets tolerance and makes days on modafinil more appreciated.

1. 5/5,
      Thank you for sharing your experiences with modafinil.
      May 21, 2007
    2. 3/5,
      I've found the same thing with high doses, not worth it, thanks
      Feb 27, 2007
  5. Darksanity

Darksanity Newbie

Reputation Points:
  6. seechao

seechao Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    one word, wow.
    It's like takeing the physical stimulation out, no tension, no jitters, no sweating, and instead of just giving you energy, it also stops the urge to sleep, you dont feel tired and energised at the same time, like caffein. Great alternative in SWIM's opinion

7. renegades

renegades Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have tried 400 mg over these last 3 months. No adverse effects to comment on. For recovering speed addicts, Modafinil, non-addictive, gives enough energy to get out of bed and do a few choirs for the day, without using meth. The Modafinil "buzz" feels targeted to certain sectors of the brain, unlike meth which is like pull the pin and swallow a grenade, devastates the whole body. Swim will stick with the modafinil even though crystal gives you 100x the energy. Plus swim misses the euphoria rushes. But those days are last year, not of this year. She stays away from users. Made new friends. Has no plans to use again. Modafinil will be a big help in swims recovery.

8. micuhr

micuhr Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    If your euphoria days or over, be careful not to take 1000+ MG. :)

9. seechao

seechao Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    I found that the negative effects start at about 300mg, he has tried up to 400mg, and found the tension and jitters to be too much, can You describe 1000mg doses? Do the jitters tapper off? Modafinil's 15 hour effects make SWIM a wee bit scared of trying more than 400mg....

10. micuhr

micuhr Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    TBH, I've never taken doses in the 400-900 range. I've always took the prescribed dosage until my friend said it causes euphoria at 1000+ and I jumped up to that. Maybe their is a bad, "caffene-overdose-feeling" middle dose that I jumped over, but once you get into quadruple dose range, its an all afternoon and all night party!
    :crazy:joint::crazy

11. seeingred

seeingred Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I has provigil which is basically the same but seems to have no efffect whatsoever on anything. Only thing is that if someone takes it late at night it will keep you awake all night...that's it. No stimulation or help with focus- which was what it was for in the first place.

12. poweredbyhate

poweredbyhate Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I have used modafinil a lot in the past and is thinking about using it again. As many have mentioned, the effects are subtle, but noticeable. When first using, Swim almost didn't think it was real, since there was no real difference in the way he felt. However, the urge to sleep wasn't as strong in the evenings, making modafinil useful for working or partying late without resorting to harder alternatives.

13. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    agreed, as adrenergics, both ada and moda stress and put a heavy load on the kidneys. and that smell, egads, its juss plain unnatural, hoss!

i also noted zero cognition enhancement from either variant.

14. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I tried modafinil for the first time today... it well exceeded her expectations.

The funny smelling urine is possibly due to the inactive metabolites excreted by the the urinary system. I havent experienced this problem yet, however she has needed to pee about every 45 minutes!

15. seechao

seechao Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    I have only noticed a slight tendancy to pee more, and has never gotten stinky pee from modafinil, and he's been using it at about 200-300mg per day, about 4-5 days per week. I have nothing bad to say about modafinil yet... he loves it.

Tags: