1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Morphine Expiry Date

Discussion in 'Morphine' started by tazz, May 1, 2006.

1. tazz

tazz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o Male
    Is expired morphine hazardous to consume?

say hypothetically someone had an ampoule of morphine sulfate with an expiry date about 20 years ago on it which had been found buried in the dirt. would it be dangerous to use this?

specifically, would it be possible to mptp to be encountered as a degredation product in such a (hypothetical) vial?

cheers

2. MrJim

MrJim Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    20 years is a long time. I don't know if I would want to risk something like that.

3. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    The morphine in it would have broken down ages ago. I doubt there would be an effect at all, othen than maybe that it's poisonous after such a long time.

4. Fantasian

Fantasian Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from U.K.
    I'd advise that hypothetically if one has decided to use the vial that one should definatly consume it(drink it) as oppose to inject it, injecting bypasses all the bodies defences and would leave you very vunerable.

However in SWIM's Oppinon he wouldnt use it, but then SWIM has access to opiates regardless so isnt as desperate as SWIY sounds.

5. Chemical Romance

Chemical Romance Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    SWIM had his first experience with liquid I.V. Morphine sulphate (15mg). Totally sterile and legitamite in glass vile. However, he noticed afterwards that the expiry date on the vile was (sept 05). SWIM read a post here on the effects of the above dosage and wondered why he wasn't on the floor in an oblivious state for 4 hours. SWIM is guessing at this point that Morphine has a limited shelf life and becomes inert after the date stamped. He believes one should be careful and be aware of such timelines. If someone can confirm this for him, it would be apreciated.:smoking:

6. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    98 y/o Male
  7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    SWIM has read reports on erowid of 60 year old morphine vials still being effective. SWIM probably would stay away from a drug THAT old, but a drug kept in a cool, dark, dry place would probably still be fine, even if it expired last year.

8. nigga2life

nigga2life Newbie

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o Male
    expired morphine pills

Hi, i recently found some 1-2 year old expired morphine pills in a medicine cabinet. These pills were given by a pharmacy with a doctor;s prescription.
    Is it still safe to consume them?
    Would a loss in potency be the only problem?
    Thanks

9. jerbles

jerbles Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Re: expired morphine pills

yep. they're fine.

10. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

Agreed. Though don't scripts expire after 1 year? If so you would need a new script to take these legally.

11. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from The Netherlands

^^^^That depends on where you live. In most countries the prescriptions won't expire, in some countries there isn't even an expiry date for filling a script.

12. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

^^Oh wow...I didn't know that. Ya I was unaware of the expiration for filling scripts until I found out the hard way and they wouldn't give me my prescribed xanax.

I was under the impression expiration dates on pharmacy bottles were saying when the script expired, not the drug. Even though we know these pills will last for decades.

13. Magni

Magni Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o Male
    Ancient Morphine-usable?

So, SWIM just bought a bit of liquid morphine from a friend. I don't know exactly how old the morphine is, but just tonight SWIM's friend shoved the needle so far into the bottle that the wax top of it broke, and fell into the bottle.

Also, when it was going into the needle, this morphine still had small bubbles in it, regardless of how much SWIM flicked the needle. SWIM is not very experienced with this sort of thing, so SWIM would like to know if SWIY thought this stuff was still good, and if so, how long it would keep if left opened (although perhaps with a piece of scotch tape over it).

Thanks for the help.

14. Archenemy

Archenemy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Re: Ancient Morphine-usable?

IIRC, Morphine is good for quite a while.... tho SWIM is not sure about IV/IM Morphine.
    Oral Morphine (MS Contin/Oramorph) is good for a very long time if you store it properly.

15. Magni

Magni Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o Male

Are there negative effects for using expired morphine intravenously?
    And did SWIY have any thoughts about those bubbles? They seem abnormal to SWIM...SWIM also would like to say that the liquid morphine seems thicker than usual and the bubbles seem to stay stuck in place longer than usual.

16. KillroyMindless

KillroyMindless Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male

dude not cool it would probably kill the animals. are the bubbles in the serringe?

17. JaWill88

JaWill88 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male

either way those bubbles really don't matter. 1cc full of air would probably do some damage but some bubbles ain't shit.

18. cra$h

cra$h Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from PA

going along the same lines, what happens to an oxycontin pill once expired?