Mulberry's

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by kumar, May 7, 2007.

1. kumar

kumar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Australia
    http://www.erowid.org/herbs/mulberry/mulberry.shtml

Anyone consumed a large quantity of unripe mulberry's. I am very interested in trying it for its hallucinogenic properties. If anyone has tried it please state your quntitie consumed and if there is any danger involved i would also like to know.

Thankyou

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from erowid

DOSE : 30 oral Mulberry

BODY WEIGHT : 150 lb

There have been many claims that the unripe berries and green shoots are hallucinogenic. I consumed 30 unripe mulberries with very little psychoactive effects. There was an edgy, speedy, irritated feeling. Also I felt minor stomach discomfort. I am uncertain what the chemical make up of this plant is and why only unripe berries are hallucinogenic. Possibly when the berry ripens the hallucinogenic chemicals metabolise into a non-psychoactive substance. It may also simply be a myth.

References and mentions
    of the hallucinogenic properties of Mulberry

1. Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Plants (1977, Houghton-Mifflin)

Mentions in its section on Red Mulberry "Warning: unripe frout and raw shoots contain hallucinogens."

2. Ohio Perennial & Biennial Weed Guide

"White Mulberry - All parts of white mulberry, except for the ripe fruit, contain a milky sap (latex) that is toxic to humans. Although humans may consume ripe mulberry fruit, ingestion of unripe fruit can result in stomach upset, stimulation of the nervous system and hallucinations."

3. Aromatic Essentials

"Mulberry roots have been used for tapeworm. Related species: Black Mulberry Red Mulberry. Both have similar properties. Warning: Juice and the unripe fruit may cause stomach problems and hallucinations!"

4. Herbvideos

"Mulberries - Red, Black & White - WARNING: Do not eat the unripe fruit and leaves because they may be mildly hallucinogenic. Ripened fruits are very edible."

"Native American Medicine: Alabama [indians] infused roots and drank as a stimulant for increased energy."

5. American Society of Plant Biologists

1-Deoxynojirimycin (DNJ), a polyhydroxylated piperidine, is a potent a-glycosidase inhibitor and is abundant in Morus spp. (mulberry trees) leaves and roots. Nowadays, M. alba leaves and dried Bombyx mori (silkworm) powder are taken as healthy foods in Korea. A simple method for the assay of DNJ was established and seasonal change of DNJ content in M. alba leaves was determined using the method. The method includes simple hot-water extraction, derivatization with 9-fluorenylmethyl chloroformate and reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Optimal conditions for extraction and derivatization are described. For the stability of FMOC-derivative of DNJ, it was essential to dilute derivatization mixture with 0.1% acetic acid and to operate at 4¡É. The seasonal change of DNJ content in M. alba leaves seemed considerately related to that of temperature.

6. Unihnasdedla Herbs (Cherokee)

Guwa = Mulberry = Morus rubra = Anthelmintic and cathartic. Axis of the leaf contains a milky juice used to cure ringworms on the scalp. * The milky juice of the unripe fruit can induce hallucinations, nervous stimulation, and upset stomach.

1. 5/5,
      nice set of references
      Jul 4, 2009
  3. kumar

kumar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Australia
    Swim will might testing it this week.

4. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    maybe some ginger cinnamon tea would help with the expected nasuea?

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hmmm, might be best to be a bit cautious with this. Not everything that causes you to hallucinate is benign or beneficial, sometimes poisoning is the mechanism at work.

If You is having nausea problems cannabis might be helpful, and could also add to effects, though the problem with using it would be that You wouldn't be able to gauge any potential mulberry derived effects. Still an option if You only experiences some effects or has some nausea issues.

But yeah, it might be a good idea to research this more before going ahead and trying it. I'll try and look some stuff up when I get a chance.

6. kumar

kumar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Australia
    Yep, Swim will have some cannabis close by. Im going to research a little more and will try to consume 50-60 unripe Mulbery's if it turns out to be at least half safe. At least i'll be abel to pass qny unwanted poison quickly ;)

7. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    might also be worthwhile having some activated charcoal handy.

b

8. TitusCrow

TitusCrow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Whats the verdict on the mullberries? Seems a few of ya said you would test it out, just want to know exactly what happend in your experience.