Mushroom Hunting Dangers

Discussion in 'Magic Mushroom hunting' started by Psilocybe S., Jul 26, 2004.

1. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Okay, it's getting about that time for shrooms to be popping up around here. There hasent been any rain all summer, but it'll start to come in. I've been hunting once before, but at the wrong time. Not after a rain..etc. But I was wondering somethings before I set out this time..

I hear everywhere..Go in the early morning. Okay, why would this make a difference? If they come up, they're going to be there all day. Or all week. Month, etc..Whats the difference?

Also, dont shrooms take sometime to grow? Or is that just on the mycelium cakes? Is it possible to have shrooms ready to pick the DAY AFTER the rain?

And about some dangers..I'm worried about going into a cow pasture, and like say getting fucking bitten by a snake. Tall grass in cow pastures = snakes. No? I'm also wondering about touching fresh mushrooms that could be deadly. Any problems here? Anything else I should be carful about? Charging cows perhaps?

Now my plan is to go and just look for mushrooms a full day after the rain. Early morning, say 9am. What are my chances on success? I'll post some pics for you all to see after I get them.

Thanks.

2. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Watch out you don't get stuck on barbed wire or touch an electric fence.

Fire ants, gofer holes, watch out the farmer doesn't put rock salt in your britches,

Watch out for mad cows.

3. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Rock salt? huh? lol

4. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    You ever get chased by a old farmer that loaded his shotgun with rocksalt?

I don't think those old time farmers take to kindly to "mushroom hunters"

Don't snag yourself jumping over the barbwire fence.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  5. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Searcher, you're pretty funny... in a good way. (Those things are very legitimate concerns!!!)

To the inexperienced picker- Most snakes bites can be treated if in time- if you picked the wrong type of shrooms and ate them, it could be later kids for you, I wouldn't do it unless you were with some trained professionals- I ain't shittin' you here... OneDiaDem, a moderator here recently posted that misinformation was being posted about mushrooms- well, One, please see this and let folks know that blind picking isn't the safest pastime!!!!

6. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Your right Manda, Unless you know what you are looking for, I would advise against it.

If your hardheaded tho, and insist on doing it, make sure they are tan in color, have purple spores, and stain blue, meaning, they bruise when picked. Do not eat any unless they are growing in a pile either, lol. I really wish unless you know what your doing, you wouldnt do it tho. Trips to the ER happen all the time for this very thing.

7. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Okay, well I know what I'm looking for. I just dont want a snake bite. I hate fucking snakes.

Should the cap stain blueor the stem?

8. OneDiaDem

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Both should stain blue. You will notice it more on the stem tho, unless you pinch or bruise the cap. Good luck!

9. bgundy87

bgundy87 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Is it really that hard to tell the difference between good shrooms and poison ones? I mean what else do you need to know besides- they stain blue, there tan in color, have purple spores and grow in patches. I'm new to this stuff and truly never tried shooms but am thinking about it.

I'm wondering if you can find shrooms like around washington? I want to find some instead of paying for the shit.

10. OneDiaDem

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yes, you can find them in Washington. You can also find alot of lookalikes. Better to go the vendor route, or grow them yourself. Its best to go hunting with someone who knows what they are looking for, and teach you. Going solo is risky if you have never done or hunted them before.

11. m3thamphetamine

m3thamphetamine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    little risky?

i found some nice cowfields down the road and they have a good amount of cows on them but the only thing im worried about is the owners house is only like 200 yards from the fence, would anyone else worry about this?

12. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I would worry about this if these people were the type to press tresspassing charges or come out with a shotgun and blow you away. Best bet is to either watch their routine and find a time when they are out of the house to do the search or go out at night for the search.

13. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Or tell SWiM to present himself as an amateur mycologist, & ask permission to study their field...

By the way, please go & read The rules of drugs-forum before you post again. I know SWiY doesn't actually say what he's going to be doing in the field, but the first person just aint the way to go!

14. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    ohh and make sure theres no bulls in the field!!

15. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Damn those bulls!

I say You gets his nightvision goggles and go to the field during the dark of the night..

16. bksabbath

bksabbath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I wouldn't worry about the farmers too much. A lot of my relatives are farmers. They do chores three times a day and go to sleep early and are really tired. They have to wake up about 4 in the morning to do morning chores so chances are if you are out in their field with a flash light they are going to be dead asleep since they have to get up so early. This is the usual routine of many farmers. Also since their are many cow fields next to my house in VA I have gone shroom hunting with flashlights in them and had no problem. Just try to make sure the field you are going to be hunting in is not very well lighted.:D