Mushroom Hunting in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Magic Mushroom hunting' started by The_Pseudoshaman, Mar 3, 2007.

1. The_Pseudoshaman

The_Pseudoshaman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hello all, just wanted to ask a question for SWIM who's been wondering about mushroom hunting in Kentucky from anyone with experience in doing so, or who might have any information on Psilocybin Mushrooms that can be found in Kentucky that is not included in the "What Magic Mushrooms Grow in my Area?" . Any information pretaining to the general mushroom picking season in KY as well as what all types of mushrooms can be found here (especially in the western portion of the state).

Thanks!
    -The Pseudoshaman

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
  2. shro0mer

shro0mer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been researching this as well. from what I SWIM can find there are really only two types:

Kentucky

Psilocybe caerulipes
    Gymnopilus spectabilis

Blue-Foot Psilocybe
    Psilocybe caerulipes (Pk.) Sacc.
    Strophariaceae, Agaricales

Description Brownish, knobbed cap, fading to yellow, with brown gills; whitish stalk bluish at base; on decayed wood.
    Cap 3/8" - 1 3/8" (1-3.5 cm) wide; conical to convex with incurved margin, becoming flat or broadly knobbed; sticky, becoming dry, smooth; watery-cinnamon to yellowish; bruising greenish or bluish, sometimes slowly.
    Gills attached, close to crowded, narrow; brownish to rust-cinnamon.
    Stalk 1 1/4" - 2 3/8" (3-6 cm) long, 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5-3 mm) thick, enlarging to base; whitish, staining greenish-blue.

Veil partial veil evanescent.
    Spores 7-10 X 4-5.5 microns, (but 10-12 X 5.7 microns from 2-spored basidia); elliptical, smooth, with pore at tip. Spore print dark purple-brown.
    Edibility Hallucinogenic.
    Season August-October.
    Habitat Single or in small clusters, on deciduous wood and wood mulch, especially birch and maple.

Range Maine to North Carolina, west to Michigan, KY
    Comments Often overlooked or ignored as just another LBM, little brown mushroom, this hallucinogenic species turns blue on handling, usually after several minutes.

SWIM Can't wait for season, SWIM's been reading for quite some time here and elsewhere with little postings, but have exponentially expanded SWIM's knowledge since. I haven't had the fun of going on a *real* hunt yet. I have been scouting likely areas for the above types and hoping that when the time comes I will strike gold.

I also just found this...

Psilocybe caerulipes:
    Found in summer and occasionally autumn solitary or clustered on decomposing logs and debris of hardwood trees (especially birch and maple) in New York, New England states, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Tennessee and Ontario.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
  3. trevorctr

trevorctr Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    So I went to my friends farm today, and he was like doesn't shrooms grow in Horse crap. I said "hell yeah" and then he saw some white capped shrooms with white stems, big ones have black gills, and some can be slimy. Note this is in kentucky so can someonehelp me identify horse crap shrooms in kentucky....

also small ones are white all over and they dont have a knot in the stem, and when we pinched them no blueing effect idk if becuz not fresh they do have lava of some sort,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  4. Nacumen

Nacumen Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: Virgin in Kentucky

Lava? Is that somehow a mycological term?

Or do you mean larvae :confused:

I wish I could help more but I don't have much experience with the topic.

5. trevorctr

trevorctr Mercury Member

Reputation Points:

not to get of topic but lol yea i ment larvae, im leaning towards Psilocybe semilanceata aka liberty caps but idk i dont want to die but i wanna be a fatass with them

6. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

you want to be a fatass with larvae? please don't eat them, if you were in another place known for having easily identifiable mushrooms this might be semi-okay.. even an experienced mycologist might second guess and if you could post pictures you might be in better luck and possibly find someone on here that is a mycologist or knows the mushroom.

7. trevorctr

trevorctr Mercury Member

Reputation Points:

i want to stuff my face with shrommies not bugs silly, and i eat them already and sleepy, made some tea etra sleepy

8. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

sleepy after mushrooms? Someone Who Isn't You (you) feeling an irregular or slowed heart beat or respiratory depression? typically psilocybin mushrooms will not make one sleepy, is there anyone around if your friend needs them in the event of a health situation? use SWIM and You as to not self-incriminate. good luck to swiy, hope he's having a nice time

9. AntiAimer

AntiAimer Newbie

Reputation Points:

Post like these are scary, consumeing some random mushroom....then never posting again. R.I.P. but Smurf hopes that's not the case.

10. Mint boi

Mint boi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

just a thought, but you dont usually find mushrooms growing on actual shit do you? most of it would have decomposed no?

11. trevorctr

trevorctr Mercury Member

Reputation Points:

horse shit to be exact and u find them on the shit that is very well decomposed

12. Mint boi

Mint boi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

cow shit is better I think as cows stomachs have no acid so the mushroom spores arent destroyed after ingestion and come out in the shit

13. trevorctr

trevorctr Mercury Member

Reputation Points:

thats not the case here, lots of cows in the U.S get mineral block, or salt licks and that will make it to no mushrooms will grow, horse shit is good becuz people dont feed them stuff to make the horse ready for eating or milkin, i work on a race horse farm and they give them a high protien diet which makes them hyper and they eat and shit alothigh motabolishm and shit make it good to grow shit