Health - 'Mushrooms Can Be Deadly' (Amanita Poisoning)

Discussion in 'Amanita' started by BlueMystic, May 26, 2006.

1. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    http://www.komotv.com/stories/43617.htm

'Mushrooms Can Be Deadly'

May 25, 2006

By Keith Eldridge

BREMERTON - Bremerton parents have a warning about a deadly substance could be within reach of you and your children.

Their toddler nearly died when she took a bite of a poisonous mushroom. Little Joey survived, but the danger still lurks.

Today, she looks like any happy, healthy 2-year-old. But two weeks ago, an ambulance rushed her to one hospital and then doctors airlifted her to another.

In her backyard, Joey found a potentially deadly Pantherine mushroom and ate a piece.

The poison attacked her kidneys and liver.

"And when they said 'airlift' you immediately think the worst," said Joey's mother, Kelly Micone. "I wasn't thinking she was going to come out of it."

Kelly felt helpless as she watched her daughter at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital.

"Oh, gosh. Her on the ventilator. The machine breathing for her. I mean she's normally so active that seeing her down like that just killed me," Kelly said.

After three agonizing days, Joey beat the poison, and she pulled through. There's no lasting harm to her body.

Kelly says the recent sun mixed with more rain is spurring mushroom growth. That means more danger if you don't know what you're doing.

"I just want parents to realize that mushrooms can be deadly," Kelly said. "Just treat every mushroom like it's poisonous until you have an identification from an expert."

Joey survived, but Kelly fears the next child might not be so fortunate.

"There's no antidote for mushrooms," she said.

The Washington Poison Center says there have been three mushroom poisonings in the Puget Sound area recently. All survived.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Actually, the only currently acceptable treatment, aside from symptomatic, for amanitoxins is d,l-thioctic acid. And the only supply of this is at the Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland USA. Same place they develop and test chemical and biological weapons. Seems the US government was concerned that the Russians, and now al Qaida, were thinking of crop-dusting us with poisonous mushrooms.

3. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Pantherine mushroom? Attack Kidney and liver? On a ventilator? Three days? Im not saying you should let a 2 year old eat a Panther cap, nor am I saying that 2 year olds might not be more susceptible to any toxicity this mushroom may have, but something sounds really odd here.

Makes me wonder if it was not Amanita pantherina at all, but instead one the the actually deadly amanitas, like phaloidies, that does contain amanitoxins.

4. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is lots of muscimol (or is it ibotenic acid - i forget) in the raw mushroom, which is why you heat them. For a 2 year old, one bite of a fresh cap would be really really toxic. The fact that she was unscathed and awoke after a few days indicates that she was heavily sedated, but did not suffer the liver destruction other amanitas would cause. I believe that this was A. pantherina, and she was lucky it wasn't phalloides or she would surely have died!

Snapper