Health - Mushrooms While Sick?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by racholly, Nov 19, 2004.

1. racholly

racholly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My boyfriend got shrooms for us tonight, ive been wanting to try them for awhile but im a little apprehensive because im getting over a cold. My temperature is normal, i just have a scratchy throat and a cough. my question is, will this affect my experience at all in a negative way? my voice sounds pretty weird right now, and im thinking maybe, you know, that will freak me out a little when im trippin. The only drug i have experience with is weed, and my boyfriend has only done shrooms one other time. well be in a safe little house in beautiful nature, so it seems like a great opportunity.

Ill be with 2 other friends and my boyfriend, all of whom i trust and have a good time with usually. I am a thinker though and a bit of a worrier, so i just want to make sure that my experience doesn't get all fucked up because im sick.....should i just do shrooms another time when im 100% healthy? thanks to anyone who gives me feedback.!!

also im new with message boards, so my apologies if i'm doing stupid newbie things or posting incorrectly.......

2. serotonin

serotonin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    as a general answer to that question i would say no. however...

shrooms are extremely different for everyone, they affect people in so many different ways. as for the physical part of being sick, i really doubt that it would affect your trip in any way. the mental factor does come into play however, but in a weird way. i don't think that the fact that you are sick would make you any less mentally stable, worrying however about how being sick will affect your trip is another story. if you are extremely worried, then don't take them. you need to be 100% certain of yourself before you take mushrooms for your first time.

my advice would be to mentally prepare yourself, DONT WORRY! that's the worst thing you can do. i, personally, would do them. just enjoy, let it come, and try to forget about the sickness. just in case have some medicine ready though (gravol, tylenol, cough syrup, w/e you think you may need).

3. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Sorry to confuse things for you Racholly, but I'm going to have to disagree with Serotonin. NEVER trip unless you are physically well, especially if it's your first time.

I say this for a number of reasons, all borne from experience.

Firstly from a purely physiological point of view, all drugs lower your immune system, so taking shrooms may put back your recovery time, or open you up to re-infection. Plus shrooms raise the body temperature and heart rate, and can therefore make you feel like you're ill again, which makes you worry about being ill, which could then make you worry about other things, which could spoil not only your night but everybody else's if they have to babysit a bad trip whilst tripping themselves. Especially if their inexperienced.

Secondly, if you're not physically comfortable it is very hard to be psychologically comfortable. Shrooms can heighten physical awareness and sensation, so every ache, or tickle in the throat may be amplified and focussed upon, thus spoiling the experience.

Mushrooms are a very special and powerful thing, with a lot to teach. And something I learnt at a young age is that mind and body are inextricably linked.

You may be o.k., but imho it isn't worth the risk. I've been around the Shroom for nearly half my life, and the nearest It's come to turning on me is when I haven't been physically well.

My advice, sit this one out .

4. discobloodbath

discobloodbath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i agee with micklemouse.. wait till ur better..

5. Antidote

Antidote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    My first bad trip happened while I was slightly sick. Coincidence? Probably not [​IMG]

6. twiztidgrandpa

twiztidgrandpa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So i was set to trip today, planned a week ago. today i wake up and the back of my throught (sp?) is bothering me. it kind of tingles/burns when i swollow, but isn't a huge deal. should i trip tonight? i have an eigth of shrooms and its my second time (first was a bust-bad trip) and im excited to do it but i dont want to freak out about my throught. should i just hold on to them for a couple days or just say fuc]{ it and trip?

7. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    If you're sick, get better. A trip should not be taken to lightly. When you're better, enhance this with the mushrooms. Tripping while sick may enhance the feeling of sickness. Whenever I trip, I will make sure everything is optimal: friends, the place to trip in, music at hand, food & drinks, the state I am in, etc. Mushrooms are a powerfull drug, a psychedelic tool, if you use it as such or not. It is not just a visual party drug. There is more than meets the eye. If you treat the experience with respect and prepare it well, you'll have better effects.Edited by: Alfa

8. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I agree with Alfa. It's always funner to do these things while your body is in the best shape. If you were to do them while you were sick, your body will probably feel very taxed the next day.

9. pokeymcsmot420

pokeymcsmot420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    as much as i hate to disagree with alpha

(and fear not gaining gold membership lol)

I'd say your prollly alrite to trip unless your gunna let it become a psychological thing...but since u were worried enuff to post this, idk, its tuff and can onlybe your call.

If you think you can get over the mental aspect of the soar throat and trippin i'd say fuck it and munch em tonite, it certainly isnt dangerous or anything. and finding a day with enuff time to trip can be difficult!!

but than again im impatientand as much as i hate to admit it i prolly go more for the visual party drug part of shrooms than psychedelic tool part of them that alpha was talkin about.

haha wow ibet that didnt help you make your decision, sorry dude, i tried! Edited by: pokeymcsmot420

10. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I had ahorrible cough, aptly dubbed by me as death cough. We're talking coughing till you nearly black out. Mushrooms were eaten, good times were had dispite being in the clutches of death cough. In fact, coughing felt phenominal. It was the greatest feeling ever, for some reason it sempt to loosen everything up and coughing was VERY satisfying. I know it's not a sore throat, but I'm bored and have nothing better to do on a friday night than tell stories.

11. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yea it will make your sickness feel compeltely different, but i would agree with Alfa. Why have your mind on the back of your throat, when you could feel better and be looking at a picture of a bird and next thing you know they are flapping their wings?? Get better, a trip will wait, and feeling better will pass.

Muirner

12. RandomTheKidd

RandomTheKidd Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mushrooms With a Cold, Dosage ?'s... PLEASE HELP!

I have a few questions regarding the consumption of magic mushrooms. First, I need to know if they can be eaten with a cold/stuffy nose. Secondly, my "friend" bought an eighth and is planning on taking them within the nexxt few days, the bag looks rather small so my friend thought he'd take all of them, but since he's not exactly sure what an eighth is SUPPOSED to look like, he figured that was a bad idea, so he's gonna take about half at the beginning BUT he wants to know that if he doesn't get the desired effects, how long should he wait into the trip before eating more shrooms to enhance his experience?

Pleas ehelp, thank you

13. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Re: Important Questions. PLEASE HELP!

Depends on how serious your friend's cold is. If it's just a stuffy nose, fire away. I know of people who have eaten shrooms with symptoms of a cold and for whatever reason, they disappeared during the trip. I'm guessing it's because the effects of psychedelics, certainly LSD anyway, that causes mucus to loosen up and flow a little bit more smoothly, possibly due to some sort of physiological stimulus. Naturally, your friend should not proceed to ingest the shrooms if his cold is pretty bad.

Next, an eighth of dried shrooms generally looks pretty small but keep in mind that an eighth should be more than enough to get a first-timer tripping pretty intensely. Go with the half, wait maybe an hour, and go from there. Chances are they are of the cubensis variety - 2.5g, not 3.5g, being the standard full dose. Whatever happens, if your friend is satisfied with the effects obtained off the sixteenth, there's no need to eat anymore. Just save the rest for another day.

14. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Mushrooms have an antihistamine effect, often causing yawning, runny eyes, more productive coughs (aka loose), and runny nose.. This seems, in SWIM's opinion, to help get some of the sickness out.. However, if one has a fever or the flu, it could possibly cause at least mild discomfort at best..

SWIM's friend swears he died on a dose of mushrooms while sick with a fever, and people that were there said he fainted and they thought he even stopped breathing, but I think maybe they were exagerrating.. Either way, the experience wasn't pleasant, and when I have used them while being sick with more than the average sniffle/sore throat, he began to sweat profusely and have hot/cold flashes.. He didn't get much worse, but needless to say, the experience would have been better saved for a healthier day..

15. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

SWIM wonders if cold medications would cause strange results with shrooms.

SWIM loves 3+gram trips but most people take them in situations that don't calculate for set and setting so they just use half.

16. metalupyour455

metalupyour455 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    with a slight cold?

I am going to try shrooms for his first time this weekend with a bunch of his friends. I am starting to get a minor cold, just some congestion and a small case of soar throat/coughing. would it be a bad idea for him to do it under these conditions, even though its very minor?

17. ISHBRAINS

ISHBRAINS Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: with a slight cold?

nah, dont sweat it. I was hella sick last weekend and did some. he actually felt a lot better and found himself at a bar talking to hella ppl not seen days. only took about 1.5 grams though

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
    1. 3/5,
      self incrimination
      Aug 17, 2008
  18. LSD-25

LSD-25 Newbie

Reputation Points:

Don't worry about it. I would trip if he was sick, unless he was really really sick or something.

19. metalupyour455

metalupyour455 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

thanks for the feedback, although I didnt even get to do it that weekend although will this weekend, and his cold is mostly gone!

20. doppey

doppey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

For anyone lookin to this for reference My experience says it doesnt hurt and can acutally help. Shrooms always make his nose and lungs feel "clearer" and not having to cough as often can make the sore throat and other effects fade faster. Not to say it would have medical use but its true.