Cultivation - My first live Kratom plant! Advice and comments encouraged :)

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by selfdestruct85, Feb 3, 2012.

1. selfdestruct85

selfdestruct85 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello all,

This is a Kratom plant I have been growing for about three months now. I ordered it back in the end of August and it took the company almost until the middle of October to receive it. As you can see these plants are highly in demand. She is growing surely but surely, slow speed aside, she seems to be a healthy beauty. I mist her several times daily with a spray bottle and she has her flourescent lighting on from bed time to wake time. The only problems I have had is with stupid fungus gnats. supposively they dont really damage grown plants, only seedlings, but they are still annoying so I am going to try the trick of refraining from watering for some days. Suppsoively will not kill the plant but will kill the gnat larvae. If not then I guess I will have to stop being a cheap ass and buy some gnatrol ;) THe potting soil used is miracle grow which is a good soil but apparently notorious for springing gnats. I also use miracle gro plant food every 2 weeks. The lighting is a simple bendable clamp light with a 100w equivalent flourescent bulb. It would prob ably grow faster with better light but I haven't been in a huge rush as it seems healthy. I also have Klip Dagga growing in the pot right next to it which seems to be doing good as well. I am considering cloning the kratom but have no experience with this at all. Has anyone tried it with Kratom yet? I'd love to know the details! Especially since seedlings are such a pain to get and I am sure could be easily made for sale through ones own collection. I am growing this because I have tried it in tea several times and figured it was time to make my own. I love the effects because they are in my opinion untouched by any other legal herb that I know of. Thanks for looking guys and everyone hvae a great day/night! Will post pictures right after this!

selfdestruct85 added 5 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Okay, so the photos are pending approval. Me being a newbie I figured I could just upload them directly from my computer to the thread but it doesn't look like it. They will be up as soon as approval clears, sorry for the delay!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    1. 4/5,
      giant blocks of text are hard to follow, please edit some line breaks in this highly informative text. Great job, neat info
      Nov 13, 2014
    2. 3/5,
      Easy to follow instructions, thanks.
      Feb 28, 2012
  2. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have no experience with growing Kratom but I do know fungus gnats...they are one of the most common greenhouse pests around. They can generally be eliminated by reducing watering or eliminating standing water or excessively moist areas in your growing environment.

If you don't have any problem areas with standing water or otherwise very damp conditions, just try cutting back on the water. These things breed in moisture - if you eliminate the breeding ground they should disappear eventually, once the existing population dies off and can't reproduce.

Do you plan to move these outside or are they going to be strictly indoor plants? I love this plant and would love to grow my own - alas I don't think they'd survive in my zone.

Good luck!

3. selfdestruct85

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ok I am kind of a tard with the forums so I just now uploaded the pics...here they are!

Attached Files:

1. 4/5,
      Beautiful plants
      Feb 28, 2012
  4. selfdestruct85

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What is your climate? I am actually in the midwest-north so it is pretty damn cold here in the winter. The plant has been grown completely indoors but I do plan on letting her grow outdoors in the pot during summers because the light will be much better. I am pretty positive they would survive for you indoors. And the gnats are all dead I believe! I am pretty happy about that, it looks like the water regulation did the trick.

5. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm also in the midwest - Missouri. If thought about what you suggested, that is keeping the plant indoors in colder months and putting it outside in the summer (actually the way our winter is going around here a tropical plant would be fine outside most days...).

I guess if you pruned it right you could keep a pretty compact, bushy form on the tree. Anyway keep us updated about how this goes. I'd love to know how a kratom plant fares in the midwest.

6. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Be careful putting it out in the summer, from what I've researched it looks like Kratom is tropical and can't handle much below 50 °F without feeling strain. So keep an eye on the weather forecast, since it gets below that temperature plenty in this part of the country during summer.

7. selfdestruct85

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the headsup seaturtle. If I move mine outside in the summer I will probwbly just place its pot outside in the day and move back inside at night. Although summers here are usually pretty warm at night.

8. Morrigan_la_Fey

Morrigan_la_Fey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've been dying to grow a kratom plant since I found out I could, but I've been leery mainly because I have a black thumb (I once killed an air fern, I shit you not). What variety of plant are you growing? And for the indoor lighting, how would I set it up? We have a wee tiny apartment and I don't have a whole lot of space.

9. selfdestruct85

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Supposively the strain I'm growing is "red vein thai" but I'm sure it has hundreds of other names that cater to marketing schemes haha. You would be fine growin in an apartment that's what I am doing now. I keep it in the furnace room/laundry room because it is always warmer in this area. Right now I just have two flourescent clamp lights that I leave 12 on and 12 off. I mist the leaves daily and add miracle gro plant food every 2 weeks. The potting soil is also miracle gro. It probably grows slower than normal because flourescent lights dont provide a high amount of lumens but it grows healthy and surely. It is a cheap and effective way to do it.

10. Morrigan_la_Fey

Morrigan_la_Fey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's awesome! I'm thinking that will be my next "home decor" purchase - a house plant. More useful than a rubber tree! Can you post more pics as yours progresses?

11. blondemoment

blondemoment Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    Just wanted to post and say that's really cool. Didn't even know that it was legal to grow Kratom plants here. You're doing a great job. I would forget to water it and kill it probably. After its full grown, what do you plan to do with it? Can you make tea with it like some people do?

12. selfdestruct85

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes I will post more pics as it progresses. It is definitely legal, if it's legal to possess then it is also legal to grow...It should stay legal in the U.S. as long as we can keep it out of the hands of kids and dumbass college students so that society won't use a plant as a scapegoat instead of admitting that some of mankind are not intelligent at all. But if salvia stays legal I dont see how this won't since salvia actually makes people trip. More and more of the old brainwashed generation is dying off and babyboomers are coming to power. They aren't as anti-drug as the mindless "do what you're told with no self research" generations. So yeah if you want go ahead and grow all ya want. Lot's of vendors have live plants. A lot of times they are sold out and you will hvae to wait a few months before receiving yours but it is worth it. I do plan on making my own tea from this plant when it is old enought to harvest. Technically it is a tree so I will never completely remove all of it's foilage, only leaves ready to fall or already dropped.

13. Pine93

Pine93 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wonder, would florida be a good place to grow? how fast growing is it? how many ounces of dried leaf does a medium tree yield?

14. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    This thread (on growing in Florida) contains links to other threads on growing. https://drugs-forum.com/threads/184614
    My points made in it are still relevant.

Outside its natural enviroment it grows slowly. Ive heard people who have grown (in the US) claim the alkaloid levels were very low, and it took several years before there was alkaloids present in decent amounts.
    As for how many ounces, that depends on the size of the tree and the amount of leaves. How long is a piece of string?
    What is a medium tree anyway? 10 foot, 30 foot?
    The leaves might not even match up to the strength of the most weak batch of leaves of bought kratom.

Its certainly worth attempting to grow a kratom tree.
    I wish i lived in a climate where it was worth attempting.

15. bigloc

bigloc Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Watch the humidity my kratom sprouts really didnt like the dry winter months.

16. franglish9265

franglish9265 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    okay, so it looks like fungus gnats love humidity. However, Kratom needs Humidity.

I've had experience on reducing how many fungus gnats appear with other plants, Tobacco grown indo for seeds, coffee, Tomatoes, etc. I have not tried these methods on Kratom yet, and am worried about damaging the plant that I may or may not have, So I have been approaching any chemicals with caution.

The main problem with fungus gnats is not the gnat itself, they don't hurt plants. Their grubs, tiny translucent caterpillar like things that are about 0.5-1 mm in thickness and 3-6mm long. The grubs feed on your plants' roots, sometimes without detriment to the plant, but most of the time, they cause stress and damage to your plant.

Some things I've tried before on other plants that seem to work are:

-Apply a Neem oil and Soap Sol'n to the leaves and soil. The Neem oil will 'trick' the grubs into staying grubs, and the soap will kill some of them.

However if too much oil is applied it can hurt your plants, This happened to me this past summer when I applied a TBSP or TSP too much per gallon on my sprayer, and hurt my tomatos, squash, and peppers, and flowers. So use with caution, and apply it in small amounts at first.

---Buy pure neem oil and Ivory Soap, It's much cheaper than buying the 'pre-mix' sol'ns that are sold.
    ------I would use a syringe or some sort of measuring device to precisely and accurately control the amount of oil and soap that is applied in the Sol'n.
    ----------I haven't tried this yet on plants from the Coffee family, as the soap and neem oil may be harmful to the plant if applied in concentrations that are too high.

-Canola Oil sprayed on the plants in controlled amounts may work. I will have to experiment to see how much is safe enough to apply.
    ---I would use a syringe or measuring device to slowly increase the amount that is applied to decrease the risk of damage to the plants.
    ------It may be a good combo with Ivory soap, or Ivory soap and Neem Oil. be wary of combos though, sometimes they may synergistically cause stress on your plants.

-Powdered cinnamon applied to the soil- Tried it on Tomato seedlings and it appears to work.

-Nicotine sol'n (Cigarettes or Chaw steeped in water, hot or cold, or you can use solvents like 91% IPA, (Ether, Acetone, etc...) and then collect the alcohol or solvent tincture, and let the alcohol or solvent evaporate to concentrate the sol'n) I use home grown N. rustica now, but cheap cans of chaw or pipe tobacco should be adequate.
    -I have been applying an IPA sol'n of nicotine with a glass dropper, I am unsure of the concentration of nicotine, But 40-50 ml of 91% IPA were used to dissolve nicotine from 3-5g of powdered leaf, the IPA sol'n has been evaporating in it's container and is covered in filter paper. I have been constantly adding more IPA extracts to increase the concentration, and adding external heat (no more than 120 def. F) to increase evaporation. [Be extremely careful with this, Nicotine, especially if concentrated to the amounts needed for pesticide application can kill you. I would wear gloves when handling the extract, and use a glass eye dropper to transfer to the evaporation container.]

-Cayenne Pepper, applied as a powder or made into a so'ln and sprayed on the plants (Capsasin), PAVA or pepper spray may also work, I have not experimented with this for outdoor or indoor plants, but it and capsasin may kill pests, such as fungus gnats, white flies, spider mites, etc...

-Pyrethrin, I have applied this to other things in the past but would be wary to use it on my only coffee plants, cactii, and pineapple.

-Sticky Traps
    -I would use index cards placed around the plant, Yellow if you have them, and coat them in Petrolem jelly, or you can buy the "Commercial" Traps but they are much more expensive.
    -The petroleum Jelly is not as effective as I once thought as the fungus gnats have been dying more often by suicide at the CFL bulbs in my room than by getting stuck on the petroleum jelly traps, but other people suggested it so it may work for you.
    - I will try using clear scotch tape applied to the index cards.

Other Pests of Kratom are Scales/Mealy bugs and spider mites

I have been using the nicotine sol'n on the scales and spider mites, sometimes applying it with a dropper others with a cotton swab. then physically removing the Scales and spraying the spider mites with water to try to physically remove them.

I will try to make a humidity tray and see how the plants like it, as the three humidifiers in my house seem to still be keeping things comfortable for me but not for my plants.

---I think I will get a plastic pan of a certain area and depth and fill it with Perlite, all-purpose quikrete sand, and/or horticultural grit and pebbles , then fill it with bleach and water, do a good sanitation of the humidity medium, rinse it with soap, then rinse it with water to remove the bleach etc, add a ml of Humistat and then fill it with water and place the plants on top and see how they like it.

In the spring I think I'll re-pot my coffee family plants and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    1. 4/5,
      Helpful additions to an old, but interesting thread.
      Nov 13, 2014
  17. Guacamole

Guacamole Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Anyone in the Pacific north west (Oregon) here grown kratom with success? Seems like kratom might do pretty well..?

18. SiR

SiR Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from North America
    Any tips for a newbie grower? I have experience with growing San Pedro cacti. Getting my first
    Kratom plant in soon. Any tips or stuff?

19. LittleLl

LittleLl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    hey thanks for that. lately I am hearing more and more about kratom and from as much as I could read about it, it is either able to be a wonderful plant working amazingly well for you, or it can be a horrible plant because i've heard that it has withdrawals which are extremely bad. but thank you guys for your instructions, I appreciate it very much