My monkey has an odd reaction to drugs

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Ataraxia, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from cuba
    Everyone's body is different, but what exactly is going on in the brain to cause such different reactions between people? I ran into a monkey the other day and he told me some pretty strange stuff.

Here is a rundown of what the monkey told me:

-You can give him enough opiates and benzos to kill a 600lb gorilla, and he'll just be feeling content.

-Caffeine puts him to sleep. This might sound weird, but I know a few humans who have this same reaction. It's not a pleasant and nodding-off sleepiness like opiates give him, but a nasty and cloudy downer. Tea and a small cup of coffee give him relaxation, but anything more than that is just nasty. He once took a couple NoDoz, and another time took some caffeine-rich MiniThins, and it knocked him right out. It was accompanied with a pretty bad headache and his body just crashed.

-Mushrooms, RCs, and all other psychedelics make this monkey trip balls. He seems to trip twice as hard as his monkey friends on half the dose, so when he takes a full dose he has a truly tryptastic experience.

-He has a pretty average tolerance with pot and alcohol, having a somewhat lower tolerance for weed and a somewhat higher tolerance for alcohol.

-Everything else he has experimented with has been pretty average.

The only substance this monkey is really puzzled with is MDMA. He seems to have not much of a reaction to it at all. The first two times he took it, nothing. The first was just one pill, and the second was one pill followed by snorting another. Both times were different stamps, and no they weren't bunk. All of the other monkeys were rolling pretty hard.

The third time he did feel it, but he could sense that it was more than likely spiked with an RC. He could distinguish that there was at least 2 different substances in this pill. First it felt like the many Research Chemicals he had tried up to this point, and then it felt as if that kicked in the MDMA. He didn't have anywhere close to the effects of his monkey friends, but he did feel slight ecstacy. This was the best X all of his monkey friends said have ever ran into. He however couldn't look up in the database to see what exactly was in it because it was a plain white tab.

Fourth time nothing.

This monkey knows the third time was something+MDMA because the fifth time he took X it felt exactly the same, but without that RC-like onset, and he looked the pills up on the database and it was MDMA only. The reason he felt it the fifth time was because, being fed up with just sitting there while watching his friends roll, he took a total of 5 pills within 2 hours. He still only felt a slight reaction to 5, when some monkeys even felt it on 1/2 of a pill. While only feeling slightly euphoric, he did experience ecstacy overdose symptoms a little bit, but nothing that made him too worried.

This monkey never plans on taking X again, seeing that it's a waste of money and the only way to feel it is to take a near lethal dosage, but he is just curious about why it doesn't work for him. This monkey's brother, who is quite similar physically and has similar reactions to other drugs, rolls harder than the average joe. What exactly is going wrong in his brain that causes these weird reactions?

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Some monkeys don't tend to roll hard on MDMA. I have spent many a night rolling mildly while the other monkeys rolled like dogs in front of him on the same dosage to his surprise. The caffeine one may be a little easier to explain. When one takes caffeine they are stimulated and have that little bit more energy in general. As soon as the caffeine wears off, one will become very tired, often more exhausted than they would be had they stayed clean all night and stayed up just as late.

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    if the varying reactions to drugs are that widespread, maybe the monkey could have a difference in levels of various cytochrome p450 liver enzymes that are involved in metabolizing many drugs? certain drugs could be metabolized faster or slower in this monkey than in other monkeys, thus accounting for the abnormal reactions to these many different types of drugs. just a suggestion. the variation could be in the brain too, but I am thinking liver enzymes just based on the amount of drugs affected here.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Chimpy might also have an unusual situation going on with it's serotonin levels. This could be innate, the result of some form of neurological trauma, or a toxic effect. I'd want my monkey to get a few tests run for my personal amusement and elucidation.

5. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from cuba
    Nag I was thinking the same thing.

The monkey also smoked the same shit I did here:
    https://drugs-forum.com/threads/20036

The monkey sees colored static 24 hours a day, but I don't know if that is reason enough to call it 100% HPPD or a dissociative disorder, depending on what he smoked. If whatever he smoked messed up the serotonin in his brain, that's probably it, but who knows. It could be nothing.

The monkey doesn't have any insurance, but he's probably going to be able to get on veterinarian medicaid soon. Does anyone know if that will cover such tests?

6. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have nothing to add to this thread only that it was a pleasure to read about monkeys and chimps. Sometimes when I read this forum I just laugh at the vocabulary, its great. Please thank your monkeys for me. :)