Necessity of sitter on DMT?

Discussion in 'DMT and Ayahuasca' started by roserjoe, Feb 27, 2007.

1. roserjoe

roserjoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was wondering what the necessity of a sitter is when smoking DMT? He has read that the only reason you need a sitter is to hold the pipe when smoking it, because while you are tripping it is near impossible to move. If I could devise a way so that dropping the pipe was not a risk, is there any need for a sitter?

2. dirk

dirk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Well, It's a good idea to have one, but if you choose not to then you have to accept the increased risks of something freaky happening and then you in your spaced out state making it worse.

For higher doses (40mg+) I would highly recomend a sitter especialy when unfammiliar.

It's worth noting that legs and balance are affected beyond the initial stage of the experience. Best sit on the floor on cushions - (you cant fall off the floor - even if it might feel like you are about to)

If you do choose to risk it, at least make up a small sign reading:
    "DON'T PANIC - YOU HAVEN'T FINALLY KILLED YOURSELF"

BTW a piece of wire tied to the pipe and then to the cieling seems to work well, but it can be a bit bemusing to look at afterward.

Good Luck if you choose to do it, but I must add that if you feel that you should have to ask, then perhaps you should have a sitter.

P.S. Don't forget to smile

3. donkey rhubarb

donkey rhubarb Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I would agree with drik.

When trying something new it is always a good idea as you don't know how you will react. While spice can be very pleasurable the quick come up can catch you off guard and until you become familiar with it and how it effects you, I would suggest a sitter if not a fellow adventurer...(I find it enjoyable to share the experience with someone close)

Another great reason to have someone around is for mental ease. I find a bit more fear if they indulge alone. I remember something Terence McKenna suggested once. If you are feeling overwhelmed, anxiety or panic from a trip start singing, talking, or making some noise. Let it come out of you. No need to keep it in....

Also if something were wrong with the spice itself (contaminated, containing 5-Meo-dmt or something else entirely) it would be good to have someone around just in case.

Good luck, relax and enjoy :smoking:

4. roserjoe

roserjoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM definately does not intend doing it by himself the first few times! I would think that very stupid. SWIM meant that when he has done it a few times with his friend, it should be OK to do by himself. Thanks for the replies.

5. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    DMT is a tricky situation. Swip considers it a very spiritual substance, and often times desires to do it alone before or after meditation. On a top of a hill at sunrise is the best. But it IS a powerful substance and there is always a chance of hurting yourself, slipping down the side of a hill, etc.

Swips advice on this is simple, do as thou will. If you are not experience with the substance, definately make sure at least the first few times you have somebody at least nearby to keep an eye on you. Once you've got your DMT stripes, and understand what it does for you and it's potential then I would dearly recomend experiencing DMT alone at sunrise in the woods on on a hill. Ever danced with the angels of the sun? Swip has :)

6. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Keep the eyes closed as well. Transitioning into the spirit realm with open eyes, in an unfamiliar space is rattling at best, downright terrifying at worst. Closed eyes contain all the visuals in the comfortable realm of ones' own world.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have only done DMT alone, and has been well. Start careful, then build up.

8. Tamadragon

Tamadragon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    is it for SWIM to try it with one sober sitter or with more my trying it as well?

ie A) SWIM first time. sitter sober

9. Tamadragon

Tamadragon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    sorry posted too soon. can't edit?

A) SWIM first time. sitter sober
    B) SWIM with other my first time
    C) SWIM, my, sitter sober
    D) SWIM, my (not first time)
    E) SWIM, SWIM's (not first time), sitter sober

what do your SWIM's think?

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    The optimum would be E), if SWIM understood yous list right.

However, as this isn't always possible, at least You should have a sober sitter to whom You has explained the situation so the sitter won't freak out if You drools for 7 minutes.

11. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    Swim prefers to use DMT alone, other people tend to just create unwanted distractions in swims opinion. Of course ones always at less risk with a sitter than without, but with DMT one wont even be able to stand up (btw dont smoke standing up, as it will lead to falling over), so there really isnt that much personal harm one could do to themselves.

12. Tamadragon

Tamadragon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ya that's what i was thinking dancingbear.

i ment with E) :SWIM, SWIM's spice experienced friends, and a sober sitter. while sitting down of course. lol
    in an nice setting, free of distractions.