1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Need help! Please! SO scared!

Discussion in 'Alcohol addiction' started by msgrayson, Nov 20, 2013.

1. msgrayson

msgrayson Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I posted this..but must not have saved as I can not find!
    I really need some insight! I was an opiate addict who finally quit cold turkey in Aug. Very proud of that, as it was so hard! But, I am ashamed to admit I traded it for an addiction to alcohol!

I have realized it is a huge problem and have tried to stop. I went down a little and stopped CT.

Last night was the first night. I started seeing things! I saw people in my hallway, some motioning me to come to them... Heard voices randomly talking. I saw my ceiling cracking open...it was like i thought I saw this...it was so real!

I heard full conversations, like they were coming from the backyard and that is not possible where I live...but it seemed so real! I made a bowl of cereal and the whole time I was eating ti I could hear it "boiling!" I went out to the car after dark to grab something from my car and saw a small fox! Then coming to the house I looked to the right and saw what I would describe as the Grimm reaper!

I promise you all I have no mental issues and never diagnosed or and this problem before! I am so completely scared and wonder if I quit too quickly. After opiates I was drinking about a fifth a day. Never getting drunk, just needing (eventually) to spread ti slowly throughout the day.Some one please tell me it i will be ok...or at least your experiences! I apologize if this is a double posts! A bit freaked out at the moment!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. pinksox

pinksox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Last night as in "over 24 hours ago?" Or last night as in a few hours ago?

Anyway, you're right to be concerned. Those are some pretty alarming symptoms. Cereal has thiamine in it, so that was probably helpful. I think you already know the right answer is a medically-supervised detox. Opiate withdrawal is miserable... but generally it won't kill anyone by itself. As I'm sure you're aware, the same doesn't hold true for alcohol withdrawal if it progresses to DT's.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. msgrayson

msgrayson Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    my last drink was sunday early evening, so i was not expecting anything this soon...or so serious! It leaves me wondering if i am in WD or simply going insane...ALL comments are very welcome and truly appreciated...

msgrayson added 9 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Wow. I reread what I wrote and I sound like a real nutcase! It is insane how real everything I have experienced seemed! My writing may not show it at the moment, but I consider myself very level headed, educated and have never experienced anything paranormal! I am completely freaked out at what I have put my brain/body through! Getting off opiates was the single hardest experience of my life! I can not even explain that enough...but alcohol...it is scary! You go a few hours and your heart is racing 125 plus per min! And then to be seeing things now! I am so terrible scared! I ran to this forum first because no one but readers her know I have a problem! Sorry again for the rambling...I am going 2 days now no sleep!

msgrayson added 6 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

I am just learning the dangers of alcohol withdrawal. I did go to my dr last week and he was not very supportive at all . No benzos, just taper myself...I hope I can do it! I don't think detox is an option. Left my job of 10 years and no insurance! And have not come clean to my family after the opiates. I know I can do this! I am strong, but just REALLY did not expect hallucinations! They were just so real! What a lesson I have learned though! Thank you for taking the time time to respond...I am here at home while everyone is sleeping and very scared! I have decided to take my taper a little slower...I will do it! But I must be safe!

4. pinksox

pinksox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    It's always disappointing when ones doctor isn't supportive. I still say, you should get medical help now, but at the very least you should give your doc a call in the am and let them know about this. Hallucinations-- especially when both auditory and visual are present-- is significant. You should also be supplementing Thiamine (b1) and probably folic acid as well. IMO, it borders on malpractice for a medical doctor to not make sure this base is covered in any patient coming off significant alcohol use after a period of abuse.

5. msgrayson

msgrayson Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I also wonder from those who may know..is a fifth of vodka a day a lot! Sad that I have to ask that! I was never a big drinker! But as I got use to alcohol, a fifth seemed to last a whole day! I guess I have answered my own question...it is a lot if you have to wake up drink or get up in the night to avoid WD! I never get drunk, just drink slowly all day! God, How did this happen to me?? I wonder what others drink compared to me! I would like to know where I fall on the scale...

6. pinksox

pinksox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Well, medically speaking anyway, we consider the upper limit for "moderate" use in females to be 3 per day/7 per week. Anything above that amount has the potential to cause issues. A fifth typically contains 17 standard drinks...

7. msgrayson

msgrayson Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Again thank you very much for taking the time to respond! I appreciate everything you have to say! I know I can do this, but now know I must do it very carefully! I wish I could afford a good detox center, but with recent events in our life, it is not an option! Opiates were so hard to quit...but alcohol is truly scary!

8. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Cold Member Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o Male from Germany (yes, so many)
    Pinksox put it very clearly, Msgrayson, you need medical support if not supervisions.
    Hallucinations are a symptim of severe alc withdrawal and doing an alcohol withdrawal on their own and on top cold turkey already did cost many lives.

You are showing awesome strength with trying to wd alc so short after wd-ing opiates, your way is a good one, you just need to be careful how you set your steps.

Sending you good wishes

BBW

9. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    54 y/o Male from Colorado, U.S.A.
    Alcohol is one of the only drugs which can actually kill you during the withdrawal process. Other drugs, such as opiates, will make you wish you were dead, but they will not actually kill you themselves. This is why EVERYONE recommends a medically-supervised alcohol withdrawal process. If your doc will not cooperate, get another doctor! You might also look into community mental health agencies, as they are separate from the medical doctor side of things, and you can get services from them often without disclosing current medical.....status? Is that the word I'm looking for? The fact that you have an un-supportive primary care doc?

Also, as was mentioned here, hallucinations-audio, visual, and tactile-are a common and ever-increasing part of alcohol withdrawal. And once the physical part is over, then the fun really begins. Intensive, long-term counseling is one of the only truly effective methods of staying off alcohol.

This will be almost impossible to do in secret, and eventually, someone you are close to will discover what you are trying so desperately to keep hidden. It would be best to bring them into the loop now, accept the fall-out, and then move forward together. this gives you one of the other most important things you will need to succeed-a support system of people who care about you and who have your back when you start to fall.

10. pinksox

pinksox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Sooo... it's been a few days. How are you feeling?

11. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    I OD'd on alcohol twice. I had all the symptoms you describe and more. Dont wait to call this to someone's attention! Reach out ! I couldn't breath, my heart would beat CRAZILY just walking across the room. I had these weird mini-seizure type events that were debilitating. The last one, my body 'died'. At the hospital, I had to have a librium drip for about a day before they would even move me to a facility. But, enough of my boring story . . . You need to NOT worry what other people think and get help. Alcohol is insidious and it only gets worse and worse. Having no insurance might actually be to your benefit in this situation, because I think you qualify for more local social service agency help, without it. Even a week of supervised dry-out will be a huge help. At 72 hours, you will at least be able to focus and think rationally about what to do next. Have someone help you call all local service based organizations that deal in substance abuse.
    Please get help and best wishes to your getting some relief from this demon.

12. Jake.

Jake. Wrk:A&R Service User Lead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Cambridge,UK
    I find it shocking that given the symptoms you have experienced , what sounds like the start of delirium tremens, they are not offering a medicaly supervised detox.

If you are still drinking here are some tips to taper

Measure out your ounces of alcohol and take into account the percentage of alcohol by volume. You would measure out pre made drink for the day into say 7 separate containers for the week, reducing by no more than 10 percent each time. hide the rest of the alcohol away so you are not tempted to drink that aswell

If you are drinking spirits or wine then gradually try and reduce to beer/cider with less strength, to help you taper down.

You want to drink enough so that you don't get drunk but that you abate the awful withdrawal symptoms

Look into kudzu aswell. it is a herbal supplement you can take which makes the effects of alcohol more intense so you need less of it to feel the same. it should help you reduce

I hope this info has helped

I used to drink 1 bottle of spirits/3 bottles of wine a day until 26th June 2012 which was my day of freedom. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I wish you all the luck in the world

Jake

13. NoddingDog

NoddingDog Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    I second Jake. Bu the sounds of it, severe DT symptoms will be the result of a cold detox. Alcohok detox should never be done cold or without medical supervision.

If you really have to try and quit without medical help, the alcohol amount per day will need to be tapered. Have you tried AA for support?

14. berry13

berry13 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    How is the OP doing? This thread fascinated me and I hope she's doing okay, and is only gone because she had sought help...

15. Jake.

Jake. Wrk:A&R Service User Lead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Cambridge,UK
    Do please give us an update OP

Thinking of you

Jake

16. detoxin momma

detoxin momma Just A Brick In The Wall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from USA
    holy schnikeys!!! a fifth of vodka a day!!! that alone would kill me lol....i feel very sorry for you..why did noone in your life try to stop you!?that is serious...my husband is an alcoholic.or was maybe.i dont know if he still is as he hasnt drank in almost a month.he was EXTREMELY crabby for 2 wks.barely slept at all.he was put on librium tho...shame on the doctor for not trying to help you overcome.i'd definatly get a new doctor.some of them hate their jobs it seems.....he was suggested to use caffeine to help him adjust to???guess it helped.he keeps a 2 liter by him all night instead of a bottle of liqour now..worth a shot.hang in there you can beat this

17. sam_ham90

sam_ham90 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o Female from Canada
    good luck dude! hope you have or are seeking medical attention. at the very least seek out a nursing hotline if you have one in you're area. they can give you some more advice!

18. Kabukicho

Kabukicho Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    OP? Come back.

Your alcohol consumption was off the charts and your withdrawal symptoms sound positively terrifying. I would have gone to the ER and gotten a benzo. Alcohol withdrawal at that level is NOT something to be messed around with.

19. Phenifckd

Phenifckd Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    This looks not good.. I hope everything is ok

20. msgrayson

msgrayson Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I am literally in tears reading your responses! This has been a rough battle! I followed advice and tapered (SO HARD!!) Why do I feel I need to be intoxicated at all times???? I wish the door to drugs were never opened to me!