need some advice

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by stretch, Mar 28, 2006.

1. stretch

stretch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    im a heroin addict it started about 6 years ago i was smoking about 5 -6 bags a day but then i decided enough was enough i took my self of to the farm where my parents live armed with 100mls methadone i took 30mls each day for 3 days and 10mls on the forth then nothing i stayed there 4 a week after that on returning home i went to my docs and told him wot i had done and that i still felt crap he suggested i take 4 dhc 60mg per day for 3 weeks 2 years later and im stiil on them only in the last year ive been useing heroin again and im back where i started i hold down a good job 9just) and have managed to hide it this is the first time i have spoke about this to anyone bar my dealer and a few friends im in a hole and cant get out i cant get a drug worker as i work in the field i cant tell my doc because im also addicted 2 diazipam 5 yellows a day and he will strije me off if i tell him im just looking for some advice im lost

2. Zaphod_1

Zaphod_1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Don't give up before the miracle happens!
    You need to get checked into a treatment center, or at the very least, go to your nearest hospital ER and explain your needs. You're poly addicted and won't be able to manage kicking everything on your own. After you get through your first month clean, you'll find life is so much more manageable.

Also V important, call your local NA (Narcotics Anonymous) helpline (do it now!), they have toll free numbers - call them and they'll get you the support you need and get you to NA meetings - very good for building up the battered spirit.

Remember first and foremost, you are not alone and you're worth it - don't let your addictive nature tell you otherwise.

3. Pan

Pan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    58 y/o
    sure aren't alone

Nope, Stretch, you sure aren't alone. I'm a recovering addict too. I agree with Zipod about the treatment center idea and the NA idea. I went to treatment a couple years ago and went to NA when I got out. I can't say enough good about the program. I have peace of mind for the first time in my life! I did have a problem last fall, though. I developed a cyst (hunk of bone) inside my L4 vertebrae, which was very painful. The doctor I went to didn't want to give me anything for it, and I didn't want anything, I wanted to find out what was wrong and get it taken care of, but the Dr. refused to do any tests. So I figured, well, I'm screwed. About a month later it was so bad I went to the emergency room with my mom at 6 in the am, didn't tell them I'm in recovery, and gratefully took what they gave me. That started me on another four months of active using, during which time I kept going to meetings, but lied concerning my dosage and method of administration. Worst of all, I lied to my sons's mom about it...she's my best friend and lover of many years...we have grandchildren together. I started to feel my peace of mind and ability to love slipping away fast, so I asked her if she'd mind if I went back to treatment. She looked at me funny and said, "Darling, I love you. Why would I want you to be ill?" And so I went back to the same treatment center I'd been to before, which I liked. I'm doing well again now. New clean date is December 11th of last year. The only things I use are the Suboxone the treatment center recommended for pain, and VERY select entheogens, which I find to aid in my spiritual growth. I hope you can find your way to peace of mind and recovery, Stretch. It's really better than not bad...it's f***ing great! Feel free to pm me or whatever. You aren't alone.

Pan

4. stretch

stretch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    thx and im on my way

thx for your advice problem being my boss takes the na meetings in my area although i did call them and they lifted my mood and got me a bit more focused have however got myself an appointment with a therapist and have started doing aricular(ear) acupunture im cutting down to half what i was taking which will be 0.4 i will try to stable myself over the nxt few weeks i think tapering off is best for me at this point i have also been looking at a treatment center called detox 5 which is a 5 day detox there was a program on tv recantly here in uk called going cold turkey it showed the addicts withdrawling for 5 days they gave them sleeping pills and anti-phycotics for the seditive for the first 2 days then they were given naltrexon to push the heroin out thier system this was shown live on tv and it looks scary also i would like a drug free detox if possible so could you please tell me other methods that are used in treatment centres thx again for your advice peace

F.E.A.R For Everything A Reason

5. Zaphod_1

Zaphod_1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi Stretch, good to see that you're still committed to ending the cycle of misery (active addiction). Ironic that your boss runs NA meetings, reminds me of a saying that comes up frequently in NA & NA literature: "You can't save your face and your arse at the same time" but you do have the advantage that he should respect your decision to get clean because he's been there and done that himself. For now your thinking will be distorted and colored by fear but don't let that paralyze you or prevent you from taking the necessary steps to get and stay clean. Remember also that honesty with yourself is an essential part of the first step of recovery.

If there remains the possibility of attending other meetings in another suburb, that would be the softer option - given the choice. But whatever you do - make sure you get 90 meetings in 90 days (even if you are a chronic relapser keep turning up at meetings - the only requirement for membership is the desire to be clean). The therapeutic value of one addict helping another has no parallel - you have little chance of success without regular contact with other recovering addicts.

As far as treatment methods go, swim only ever used the cold turkey method - I could never do anything in between full throttle use and abstinence (at least for any significant time). Moderation is not an option for swim. It's painful but the neuro-transmitters and receptors have a faster restoration with drug free detox.

Suboxone & Buprenorphen are popular treatments, these are non euphoric opiates which hold off withdrawal but are still a form of chemical dependency albeit easier drugs to withdraw from.

Many addicts prefer the memory of a really harsh withdrawal as a form of deterrent from future relapse and I would agree with this as another good reason for drug free detox.

The 5 day detox you mentioned sounds like the bare minimum for opiate detox - better than no treatment though.

Take Care!
    I hope you do get all the support you need, pm me if you need someone to talk to.

Zaphod

6. Zaphod_1

Zaphod_1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Taper Your Benzo's

BTW, forgot to mention that Benzo's (if you're on them) must be gradually tapered down (with medical advice). DON'T SUDDENLY WITHDRAW FROM BENZO'S. Given your heroin dosage, you really should have a supervised detox.

Take Care!