Need some help re: fentanyl patches

Discussion in 'Fentanyl' started by themidnite1, Jul 19, 2006.

1. themidnite1

themidnite1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM hopes they are posting for once in the correct place :D
    okay-I am prescribed the 25mcg fentanyl patch. I have tried Duragesic brand, Sandoz Generic (made BY Duragesic/the same exact company), and finally now trying Mylan Generic.
    I am so confused, reading here and in different places about these patches! SWIM guesses that if they asked 10 different people, they'd get 9 different answers? Which is the best? Does it just depend on personal experience and/or preference? I have read a post on another board that said "> Has anyone who were prescribed Duragesic Patches and received the generics
    > due to insurance companies find them as good as the Duragesics??
    >
    > I know there are 2 generics,I have not received the same relief as the
    > Duragesic.Is it just me???

REPLY:

Nope, not just you. Many ppl are getting all the med released in one
    day or less and then left to go into withdrawls. Its crazy that they
    even let the stuff on the market! If Palladone cant be on the market
    cuz booze will relase all the med in it in a short time (even tho not
    one death was reported cuz of this), just how can these generics remain
    on the market? They are gonna kill someone..soon.

and also talking about how some patches give horrible nightmares, don't work at all, etc etc. Here is one more that concerns SWIM:

"My pain doctor advised me that the Mylan generic patches do not work as
    well as the Sandoz generic patches. I've been using Duragesic patches
    for over 5 years and will be required to use the generics in the near
    future. He said to be sure and get the Sandoz brand, not the Mylan
    brand, as the Sandoz brand works closer to the same level as the
    Duragesic brand.

Hope this helps. I talked with my pharmacy about which generic
    brand they carried. My pharmacist said they carried the Mylan generic.
    They will be ordering the Sandoz brand from now on, after I gave them
    the info my pain doctor relayed to me. You might talk with your
    pharmacist and see if they will accomodate you with the more effective
    brand."

I am VERY succeptible to this kind of stuff/propoganda, esp since I have just started these patches. I am very opiod tolerant, and has yet to feel any kind of side effect as "euphoria" and thought that I would even with a tolerance. Now SWIM main objective is to be chronic fibro pain free, and all of the three patches have done this. But I have never worn one more than about 24-35 hours at a time.
    I think perhaps if one is worn for the "full" time, then removed and another put on a different area immediately, perhaps that will help? SWIM admits to eating jelly and sucking adhesive, and yes that works. For a short while. SWIM can eat a whole 25 in one sit and be fine. That on top of oxycodone in amounts about 40+MG.

I guess my big question is WTF????? Are these people crazy? Do mylans really not work? Why would a Dr. tell a patient that? I would think the Dr. would just "highly reccommend" to use a different brand rather than say that. So, whenever SWIM hears that stuff, SWIM starts thinking, and psyching themselves out, and thinks that may definitely be a problem! The brain is powerful as we all know, so if a body thinks something doesn't work, perhaps it won't?

Sorry for the long post, again SWIM hopes it is in the correct place. Would love and appreciate any and all you's opinions and personal experiences etc. I know bottom line if the pain is gone, it's all good and obviously SOMETHING is happening! :eek:
    Thank you all so very much, this place is the greatesst!

2. angeliclight

angeliclight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: I need some help please Re: Fentanyl patches TY

Hello SWIM, please see my post in the "how to abuse fentanyl" section. You will see what I do that may help. Make sure you have a high tolarance for opiates first.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Jordan

Jordan Newbie

Reputation Points:

Hi I'm a new member with severe chronic back pain. I'm about to go to a pain doctors office for the first time. Pills are not really helping! Do you think it's out of line for me to ask for the Fentanyl patches? Any information will help, I have MRI's to prove my source of PAIN! Thank You:s

4. CrowJane

CrowJane Newbie

Reputation Points:

Fenanyl has been used in the past to provide a strong and short acting analgesic of the type needed to change burn victim's dressings and the like. A drug such as morphine would generally be preferred when long acting pain relief is needed. I find the extended release fenanyl somewhat akin to LAM... Day one- too strong: day two- correct: day three- ill and waiting; albeit reversed. Day one- ill and waiting; day two- correct: day three, again ill and waiting. I've observed many people using Fenanyl patches requiring additional medication for "breakthrough pain" relief. It seems to me that this is not the appropriate drug for a chronic pain complaint. Morphine can be compounded to fit the requirments of ambulatory and those not w/ equal success. This dope is a psych hype.

5. fentanyl_75

fentanyl_75 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from U.S.A.

TROUBLE (my pet ferret) told me her friend has been using fentanyl for over 10 years.first was the 25mcg/hr, not much happening , then 50s Starting to help, Over time she is up to 150mcg/hr. Fentanyl is a good pain reliever, but it's hard to wait for the next patch. she says methodone helps that problem. Durageasic and Sandoz are the same. (gels) The Mylans are not and she says don't work as well. The gels are much nicer and their are more ways to use and abuse them.They have a taste that easy to like. Their is one thing, After they are taken off and the gel is eaten, whats left needs to be flushed or distroyed. TROUBLE found a used one and almost died. Fentanyl is one of the strongest pain drugs their is.

\

6. JoyfulHagion

JoyfulHagion Newbie

Reputation Points:

My says that 75mcg Fentanyl is working fine. Pain is present but not bad. I take 400mg Lyrica, 4 75mg Robaxin and 2 .5mg Xannax. Feel better than I have in years! I use Duragesic patches. Good Luck.

7. waytoofertile

waytoofertile Newbie

Reputation Points:

Was pescribed the 25 mg duragesic myself last week. I have super high tolerance for all other opiates so wasn't worried when swim's spouse said "screw wearing it, open the patch, squeeze out the med, break down with tiny bit of lemon juice, add water and voila -iv it and instant pain relief not the 18 hour wait as Dr said would happen. Unfortunately, this did not work out so well. Siezed up, heart stopped, then quit breathing. Spouse had to do cpr then toss swim in shower to finally revive.

Be very, very careful. Swim can handle 120 mg of oxycontin, 24mg Diluadid, etc iv'd but the fentnyl kicked her butt.

8. fentanyl_75

fentanyl_75 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from U.S.A.

Fentanyl is the most potent opiate type drug their is. It is VERY dangerous for someone that has never used it. You need away to see how much you are taking. One way is to put the patch on a flat table, take a credit card and squeeze the gell into a corner inside the patch. cut the corner of the patch. Swim cuts out a piece of paper towel a little larger than a postage stamp, take the credit card and squeeze a SMALL amount on the paper towel, then put under tounge and see how you feel. Now you have a idea on what you should take. Make sure you don't throw away the membrane, that's the plastic that is against the skin when you wear it. It.s loaded with Fentanyl, it best not to let it dry out, chew it like gum. I do it at the same time. Most important, Use a tiny amount the first time. (match head) Be carefull

9. ATWA

ATWA Newbie

Reputation Points:

This is old news. The moral of the story is to understand what one is taking. Of course something like this can happen. It is common knowledge. You just do not do this. The drug is much more powerful than regular opiates.

10. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

There is much more information on fentanyls in the Opiate section of the forums.
    Here are a few highlights for anyone that stumbles onto this post, thinking of trying something stupid.

Fentanyls (there are several) are among the most powerful opiates. Hundreds to thousandes of times more potent than morphine or even heroin (Carfentanyl is over 3000 times more potent than heroin). They are typically only prescribed to patients who are already opiate tolerant.

Respiratory depression leading to coma and death are a real threat here. Use extreme caution if You attempts to play with these patches. There's a reason they put fentanyls into patches that take so long to kick in. Someone who isn't tolerant could quickly stop breathing and die without immediate medical aid.

Also, just fyi, fentanyls are poorly absorbed via the digestive track, but easily absorbed via mucosal membranes. This doesn't mean it's safe to eat fentanyl gel. Due to the potency of these drugs, it only takes a very minute amount to be absorbed to have toxic effects.

In swims opinion, leave these for those that truly need them. There are much safer ways of getting an opiate buzz.

1. 3/5,
      It is very acurate and a GREAT WARNING
      Mar 4, 2013
  11. Grabnar

Grabnar Newbie

Reputation Points:

swim ate a 1mg fentanyl patch dissolved in 20 oz bottle of lemonade, swims tolerance level at the time was 100mg/oxy per day and occasional heroin use (IV). 1mg of fent gel from a patch is guaranteed OD if ur not heavily tolerant.