Never been addicted to cigarettes

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by akirablaid, Jan 28, 2006.

1. akirablaid

akirablaid Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've heard so many stories about how easily addictive cigarettes are, but I've never felt the need for one, rarely even a desire. I can smoke as many as 4 packs in a weekend, then go two weeks without the need for one.
    Has anyone else evaded the addictive effects as much as I?

2. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM can also smoke and not smoke as many cigs as he wants from day to day, with no feelings of ever truly needing one. In fact he doesn't like them a whole lot but for some reason likes them enough to still smoke 2-3 or so a day and on weekends smoke packs n packs of em. Wierd enough he doesn't have this luck with marijuana, smoking at least 1.5 grams a day everyday, and thats the one that's not suppose to be addictive. It just has a strong grip on SWIM psychologically.

3. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    If youve never had the desire for a cigarette what would make you smoke FOUR packs in a weekend? lol. Addiction is a sneaky thing, and cigarettes are the sneakiest. Sneaky sneaky.

4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think it takes a year of moderate smoking for most people to develope an addiction. When I was younger I smoked, but I smoked maybe 1-2 packs a week. I did not experience any withdrawals when I stoped. I probably smoked that way for around 1.5 years. Once in a great while I will have a smoke when I'm drinking, but thats about it.

5. akirablaid

akirablaid Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well my thoughts on that were the difference between a mental and physical addiction. I enjoy taking a break, the walk outside, and focusing on the cigarette for a few minutes. I've never noticed any withdrawl symptoms, or ever felt... compelled to smoke, rather than just my personal desire.
    I suppose in another way this is a more subtle form of addiction, but I hold it in the same respect as the desire for good food or drink.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I smoked for three weeks when I was 13. I quit because they were too expensive and I was in no way addicted. At about 15 or 16, I started smoking joints with tobacco in them and have ever since. I used to enjoy a cigarette when drinking but now I have no cravings for them individually at all. I still consume that portion of nicotine in my joints so I suppose I am somewhat addicted. But then again, I have never really been addicted to any other drug.

7. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    If you smoke joints with tobacco in them you are addicted to the tobacco. Why else smoke tobacco? You can smoke blow other ways.

8. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I used to grow weed and smoked it in joints with tobacco for 15 years (at least 1 a day, and at weekends smoked many per day), yet he never craved cigarettes.
    I am very lucky and now only rarely smokes weed.
    SWIM dosnt believe that you are addicted to niccotene if you smoke joints, joint smoking is a very social thing to do, part of the fun is rolling the joint passing it on and enjoying it with friends.

9. Urban

Urban Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    i smoked lots as a teen but never got addicted... however... as i decided... if your not addicted why do you smoke?!
    try stopping for a few months... you might find it harder then you thought you would!
    x

10. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's a good theory Urban. I used to think I was an alcoholic for SURE until I quit drinking. After about a month*, I realized that the 'addiction' had been nothing more than a daily ritual of opening and drinking a beer at "beer time" which is sometime after worktime and prior to sleeptime. I can see where someone who is obscessive-compulsive would begin to accept an activity as if it were a (true) addiction just because they do it on a regular schedule.

*actually, i forget how long really, maybe a week, maybe 3 months? doesn't matter in my opinion.

11. LD 50

LD 50 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    hey akirablaid,

why then the urge to smoke as many as 4 packets in a weekend?. That's pretty heavy dude lol.
    Seriously, swim can't get into the taste of it. Smoking cigs tastes like shit and swim can't see the point of it.
    It's a good sign that you can lay off for a while till the next weekend;)

12. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    yea I never did understand why people smoked. If youre not smoking to get high then whats the point ?
    I know its an addiction but did you even get a high when you started to smoke ?
    Its weird to non-smokers but probably very simple to smokers why they smoke.

13. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    It was more of a head rush the first time I started smoking. I don't know why, but he just kind of enjoyed the act, even if the rush went away after a few days of smoking. Smoking cigarettes gives me a reason to carry lighters around at least, and hollowed-out cigarettes are great for making joints in SWIM's opinion.

14. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I find that smoking cigarettes started off as a little high booster a little bit after weed was smoked, then it slowly turned into smoking after he ate or upon waking up. He has gone from smoking 1 cigarette a day to smoking a pack or two a day back to smoking 1 or 2 a day. SWIm finds that there is nothing more refreshing and tasty than a nice menthol cigarette after smoking weed. Although SWIM can and has cut back drastically he has never quit all together since starting about a year ago, he just doesnt have the desire to quit, even though he knows of all the horrible things its doing ot his body. SWIM's lack of desire to quit such a bad habit is proof enough of his addiction, however sneaky or mild it is.

15. alanp007

alanp007 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    i am

for some reason, I used to be the same way. I smoked weed heavily for a couple years, and would have a few cigs a week, I wasnt old enough to buy a pack. But as soon as I got onto harder drugs, I started smoking more cigarettes, but they werent my #1 addiction. I then did a 4-month stint in jail, and there was nothing to do there but smoke. Now I go absolutely nuts if I go a few hours without a cig. Damn, i get paid tomorrow, i wish I had one right now..
    Who ever said they are the sneakiest addiction is RIGHT, it will sneak up on you, and then all of a sudden it will hit u hard and ull wanna smoke cigs more than bud or anything. It is my #1 priority when I get money most of the time...go get a pack of cigs. I dont want to quit either, but need to.

16. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been smoking on and off for a year and a half now. He has a cigarette whenever he feels like it, sometimes goes a few months without one, he doesnt understand why people get addicted to it, other then people who have cigarettes out of boredom, which he has a done a few times.

17. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I think it's an issue of habit rather than addiction, most people I know who have tried to stop smoking have had no problems enduring the withdrawal period which lasts a day or two, but they start smoking again after a couple of weeks.
    Time and effort will make you realize how people get hooked on tobacco, but it's a waste of both.

18. deji

deji Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Agreed, very easy to kick cigarettes, but to stay kicked is a different story.

They will creep on you slowly though. All the people that are 18 or 19, if you keep smoking, when you hit mid 20's, you will see more of the addiction.

Another thing too, like say you kick heroin, you dont see someone walking down the street doing heroin, or walk into a food place and smell the heroin in the air, but with cigarettes, you do. They are everywhere, tons of people smoke. You go to the gas station and see posters, adds, cigarettes galore, go to eat and smell the smoke in the air, social places, see smokers left and right. Its really hard to stay quit. You get reminded of them so much.

19. Dualpower

Dualpower Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ^^ I've got to agree. The withdrawal isn't really that bad, as long as you're not hanging around smokers. It's actually a quirky buzz in its own right.

I've been quit for months before and finally stopped thinking about cigarettes every spare moment I had. Then I'd feel a warm breeze that brought back a memory or walk by a coffee shop where I used to smoke and be consumed by the desire for a cigarette.

I also drink. Quitting smoking means quitting drinking completely. All my friends are smokers who hang out in bars. I'm saying good bye to all my friends in a couple months for a while and getting a place by myself. I've been making new non-smoker friends and going to a gym every day as well as eating healthy food at every chance I get.

I've been quitting for five years now, and I'm so fed up with failing that I feel I have to put everything into quitting. Absolutely nothing, no friend aquiantance or relaxing day drinking on a beachside patio is worth feeling like shit all the time because I smoke.

20. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    In the past week ive gone from smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day to a pack and a half a day. What a crazy thing addiction is, you can go from one extreme to the other in a few days. I am so greatful that ive never been addicted to anything else, i just realized how uncontrolable it is, even if at such a small level compared to others. i have newly found respect for anyone who has kicked any addiction to any harder drugs.