1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Never underestimate a junkie

Discussion in 'Psychological & social' started by KingofHyrule, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KingofHyrule

KingofHyrule Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    As the title says, never underestimate a junkie, in the throes of addiction, when the goal is their "medicine", they are capable of outstanding superhuman feats of strength and endurance.

So today, SWIM woke up feeling ill and does not get an money until tomorrow. So given the choice of sitting in rattling it out, or helping a neighbour do something they have been trying to get done for days, SWIM decided to see if the could help their neighbour in exchange for some money.

So the problem that SWIM's neighbour had was that he had bought a car, (read repair project) from a man just over a mile away. This car was unable to be started and was parked at the bottom of a steep hill. SWIM's neighbour has been trying to find somebody with a tow rope/tow bar and a powerful enough car to tow this car to their drive way. However, they had so far been unable to find anybody. Bear in mind that this car that SWIM's neighbour had bought was not a small little run-around, it was a family salloon and was very heavy as cars go.

So for the cost of 2 bags of medicine, SWIM, who is by no means strong, although he used to go to the gym regularly and at one stage could have been considered so, over the last 2 years he has not ate properly, nor has he taken care of his muscles or body in general. But SWIM needed that medicine so they hauled that car up the hill and a mile down the road by themselves for their neighbour, who in turn paid them and bid them a good day.

This is something that SWIM would have considered LITERALLY an impossible task, but it goes to show that a junkie should never be underestimated as they are quite literally capable of superhuman feats at times...

Anyway, pointless post I guess, I just wanted to share a little story and lesson that SWIM had learned today.

KingofHyrule added 26 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Does anybody else have any similar anecdotes? I'm interested to see the extent to which a full on addiction increases one's physical capabilities. (I know that it doesn't REALLY, although my story and I'm sure countless others could possibly lead one who doesn't know any better to believe that it does.)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. tatittle

tatittle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Great story. How did you get the car up the hill...just pushing it?

My stories involve more natural obstacles like 4 foot snow Blizzards and power outages (NYC/NJ, USA). Still undefeated but now retired :)

3. KingofHyrule

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Yes mate just by pushing it with all the determination in the world and a stomach eating itself from the inside. Have to say that pushing the thing a mile down the road seemed an absolute cakewalk after the half hour of intense effort that started the whole task off. Felt the prize was thoroughly earned as well, which made its consumption all the sweeter.

4. JonnyBGoode

JonnyBGoode Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    You don't need to say SWIM any more pal, in fact I think you're not really allowed to say SWIM so just letting you know before the mods go steaming in!

I hear you on the theme of your post though, when shit hits the fan and I've got no cash I suddenly turn into this DelBoy-meets-Richard Branson-on-crack entrepreneur and find some mental ways of getting money together!

And I don't mean burglaries or crime I just WILL find a way to get some money somehow from someone somewhere! When there's a bag at stake and you're about to go into cluck that's like the most motivating drive known to man!

5. KingofHyrule

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Ah I was confused about the whole SWIM thing. Totally unsure whether to use it or not. Thanks for the heads up. I can't edit my post cos I haven't hit the required number of posts yet but I will refrain from using it in future.

6. tatittle

tatittle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    It is strange how an opiate dependent person in withdrawal will have zero energy or motivation to do anything at all...unless that activity has the promise of an opiate at its conclusion. Then our minds overcome the body's weakness like our lives depended on it. Ive heard of folks too sick to chase the next fix, but cant say I have ever seen it 1st hand lol. And it doesn't matter what kind of tragedy happens en route to the fix...the mission continues and the worry set aside to be dealt with after the relief. Car accidents, out of gas, broken bones, muggings, none of these will end the mission, only prolong it slightly. The logic often being that we will not be able to deal with the tragedy/situation effectively until we get straight anyway.

I think you've stumbled onto a potentially excellent movie plot. A crazy day of mishaps while chasing the wake up bag.

7. JonnyBGoode

JonnyBGoode Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    It's actually true though, when the possibility of a bag suddenly becomes an option, your body gets a sudden rush of adrenaline and you're capable of feats that weren't possible moments before. It's also true that when you're badly clucking and you're trying to get through to dealers phones, the moment you actually get through to someone and realise that your bag is only minutes away you automatically feel slightly better physically because you know the suffering is going to end soon and it gives you a slight boost somehow.

8. KingofHyrule

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Yeah, I've noticed I feel better when I have the bag in my hand even if I'm a half hour walk away from my house where I can smoke it. Many years ago, I had a car crash and dislocated my knee and had it reset in hospital. They told me not to walk on it for at least a few days and gave me crutches to use when I finally did start to walk again. When I got home, I took a 30 minute walk to the scoring spot and procured a couple of bags and walked home again. This probably set back my recovery but it was one of those situations where I just didn't care. I had to do what I had to do haha.

9. tatittle

tatittle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    It can go both ways....people get even sicker once the smell/hold the bag too. Start puking as they are trying to do it etc. That usually happens further into withdrawal for most.