1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Drug info - New "absinthe" like Energy Drink Available

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by rollerzcoasterz, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rollerzcoasterz

rollerzcoasterz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Four by four

We take this new alcohol-energy drink for a test drive

My friends and I are past our Jager bomb primes. But when I heard about Four, a new cherry-berry malted energy drink created by Phusion Projects--a company founded by twentysomething friends, including Lincoln Park's Chris Hunter, 27--I was intrigued.

Hunter calls Four the "original body buzz beverage," thanks to one of its four key ingredients: wormwood, which some of you international travelers may recognize as a component of absinthe. (Four's other active ingredients: caffeine, taurine and guarana.)

After working hard on a Friday, I rounded up three gal pals* to party hard as a foursome. Around 7:30 p.m., we started popping 16-ounce cans of this 6 percent alcohol by volume energy drink. Here's what happened.

Friend No. 1: Drinkin' Doll, 26
    Let's just say I drink 20-plus cocktails a week. The truth would be scary. Caffeine? A can of pop a day or the occasional latte.
    Taste: Like what I used to toast New Year's with before I found the liquor cabinet: similar to sparkling cider. But I was a tad disturbed by the persistent foam that clung to the rim of my glass. FYI: After adding a splash of vodka, it went away.
    Energy: Soon I was no longer grumpy and congested from an allergy attack; I was totally perky and happy. Two hours later, I was shouting, "F@#$ yeah, let's party!" By 10 p.m. my heart was racing. We hit the club and danced for three hours straight.
    Buzz: It was hard to separate the caffeine jolt from an alcohol buzz.
    Horny factor: Does touching your own boobs count? Not like that! I was rearranging cleavage for our night out. I did, however, have the most vivid sexual dreams that night; I was surprised to wake up alone.
    Morning after: Zero hangover; that's a first! I felt great, not dehydrated, and even played a softball game that morning. The downside: I woke up at 5:30 a.m. after only two hours of sleep, then kept waking up every hour on the hour.
    Bottom line: When I'm looking for a night out without any regard for time, sure, I'll pick up a can. The no-hangover factor's a big draw. But as a regular addition to my personal menu of party drinks? Probably not.

Friend No. 2: Buzzin' Busybody, 32
    I work and play hard, so I have around 20 energy drinks, 20 cocktails and who knows how many cups of coffee a week.
    Taste: Light and effervescent, but very sweet. In fact, too sweet and syrupy for me; it tasted like liquid cotton candy. Kinda gross, so I couldn't drink it all night.
    Energy: I wonder what it meant that I was dancing around my house and having serious Nutella cravings at 10 p.m. In fact, I was licking the jar.
    Buzz: Minimal, compared to a night of classic cocktailing.
    Horny factor: Didn't feel anything more than the usual. I wanted my boyfriend, but that had nothing to do with Four.
    Morning after: I slept with some interruptions-but not due to Four (wink, wink)! No hangover. I felt great in the morning.
    Bottom line: I plan to stick to my Red Bull and Rockstar.

Friend No. 3: Pop Idol, 27
    Every day I have at least two cans of Diet Coke and only about four alcoholic beverages a week.
    Taste: Looked like Jell-O, tasted like Jell-O. The foam that collected on the sides of my glass was scary. It was very sweet. Almost like a Bartles & Jaymes.
    Energy: More than an hour after drinking, my headache went away and I just wanted to bust a move. In fact, though I had planned on bailing early, I stayed out 'til 2 a.m. and danced myself into sweaty oblivion.
    Buzz: At 9:15 p.m., my Jewish flush kicked in: I was red-faced, warm and wide-awake.
    Horny factor: Um, does naughty-texting one of your crushes while gyrating on the dance floor count? I noticed people gravitating towards my cleavage and I didn't mind. I mean, the girls did look damn good that night.
    Morning after: No hangover, no need to make a greasy food run. It was easy to get up, but I also woke up repeatedly.
    Bottom line: It's a little too sweet for me, but for those occasions when I feel like partying hard, hangover-free, I'd pick up some Four.

Friend No. 4: Caff-fiend, 26
    I can't do without my morning macchiato or latte, and pop during lunch. Plus, I have the occasional energy drink.
    Taste: Like candy. It wasn't flat but not super-bubbly either; I think that's a good thing. No taste of alcohol at all; I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
    Energy: At 10 p.m. I was feeling restless. I started dancing before we even got to the club. Then, after shaking it to Shakira nonstop for hours, all I could say was, "My hips don't lie!"
    Buzz: One hour later, I didn't even feel drunk. If I drank as many cocktails as Fours, it might have been a different story.
    Horny factor: If you measure horniness by the number of men I was scoping out, then sure, I was horny. There was no follow-through, though. But I did have a very vivid sex dream involving a man I've never actually slept with.
    Morning after: After going to bed around 3 a.m., I woke up at 5:58 a.m., and then every hour until about 9:58 a.m. Exactly one hour would pass between wakeups, no alarm clock involved. Weird. And I didn't have a lick of a hangover! That's unlike me.
    Bottom line: It's so sweet you can only drink so much of it before you start to feel a bit sick, but the partying effects are pretty impressive. You get brazenly energized and confident, but without the fogginess of being drunk.

Please include references in news articles:
    Source: www.tribune.com
    written by: Karen Budell
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  2. smoggy32

smoggy32 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mar 7, 2006
    from U.K.
    well it sounds good :eek:)
  3. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Feb 18, 2004
    from U.K.
    Info-mercials. Gotta love 'em! Re-reading it, there is going to have to be an outrageous amount of sugar in this concoction to cover up the bitterness of the wormwood. The next generation of alco-pops - be afraid...
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    Jan 14, 2003
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Sugar is not going to cover up that taste. Most energy drinks are mostly sugar anyway, so there would be nothing new with that IMO. I can not find any pics of the product yet. It is said to be out in July. I would not expect to much from it. There are many new absinthe liquors around in the EU, to meet the legal standard and the hype. Nothing special: just alcohol with absinthe taste(anice). Practicly no tujone.
  5. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 24, 2005
    31 y/o
    I would be willing to bet that here in America it will enjoy some decent success, as absinth has a certain mystical and amazing reputation among most young people that arent particularly knowledgeable on the subject.