Drug info - New found love: Carling 8%

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by pankreeas, Dec 17, 2006.

1. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o
    Swim just recently discovered a new poison in the form of hops and barley. It

A./ Boasts a mighty 8% alcohol content
    B./ Doesn't taste anywhere near as bad as the cheapest stuff on the shelf

He doesn't know how he missed seeing it.. or maybe it's new? Anyways it's made by Ca®ling, which is a internationally based subsidairy of Molson In Montreal, Canada. The product is black label SUPREME. It's like the second cheapest beer in stock @ his local shop and a sixpack of this is pretty much the equiv of a 9 or 10 pack of regular brew. (and did he mention it actually tastes quite nice!)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  2. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Re: New found love

We have something similar in the UK, it's call 'special brew' and it comes in at around 8%, but a few lab rats have said it doesn't taste that bad.

3. sci

sci Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    think thats carlsberg special if SWIM not mistaken tastes like crap LOL ..

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    You don't see much Carling around the USA these days. Carling Black Label was a very popular cheap beer a few decades ago. It wasn't bad if bought in the heavy bar bottles (returnable). But the cost of shipping bottles - two ways - caused these to vanish. In cans, it tasted like rat-piss.

Anyone remember "Old Frothingslosh?" Had these enormously fat women dancing on the label (cans only). And it said it was the only beer with the suds on the bottom!

That was because the pull-tab was on the bottom of the can so you had to flip it over and make the fat ladies stand on their heads!

5. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    nope, carling is a canadian brand (or used to be i think theyre owned by molson now) and black label used to be one of the most popular exports. BLS has been SWIM's favourite option when he's low on cash since he was in high school. it actually tastes like beer!

6. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o

Thanks, what I was waiting to hear! :)

7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    [​IMG]

I am only familiar with this version of Carling. It's not a particularly nice tasting beer but it is moderately cheap and reasonably drinkable if you're willing to settle for the mediocre stuff. It used to be fairly popular on tap in pubs before I even started drinking but it faded out of the competition and now can only be seen in very few bars.

SWIM's never seen the 8% Black Label version but might try it if he ever sees it around.

8. sci

sci Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    And theres SWIM thinking Carling is originally, British after a Web search I have found its founded in London Ontario in 1840!! ,,
    has anyone tried Carling Premier a nicer version of the above.. Smoother creamy and drinkable ;)

Attached Files:

9. Raz1569

Raz1569 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Skoll supers or special brews are 9%, I had some cresta super last night at a whopping 10% a can and it doesn't take too bad, much better than cheaper cider which is 7.5% but nasty, I drink it when I have to though

10. sci

sci Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Is swim right in thinking if alcohol is above 9 percent it legally cant be sold as beer as has to be sold as 'Barley Wine'

anyone tasted Bank's barley wine..Shockin!:eek:

11. Senor Gribson

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    here in canada we have a beer over 9%. it's made by, surprise, CARLING!
    it's really hard to find though, most beer stores don't carry it.

12. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from zimbabwe
    Skol super is bareable, but then again I am a raging alchoholic. Now where it is really at is Strongbow Super 7.5% Cider (thats alchoholic applejuice for all you americans out there) and it tastes the same as regular strongbow! There is no limit for the alchohol content in beer or cider as far as I know, in fact I once drank a 40 % beer in this bar in amsterdam which boasted 300 different bottled beers, bit nasty considering it was like drinking a bottle of whiskey straight

13. Jimmy Splash

Jimmy Splash Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: New found love

i drink special brew and i think it tastes quite nice!

14. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I do too! :)

15. Senor Gribson

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    40% beer... swim's no professional distiller, but to his knowledge that IS whiskey

16. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    In the UK these are called "super strength" lagers. The classic (and best IMHO) is Carlsberg Special Brew. They all come in around 8 or 9% ABV.

They really need to be well chilled to be drinkable - I'm talking a few hours in the fridge followed by 30 mins in the freezer. Even then, many of them have a sickly sirupy taste.

They are, however, much better than the cheaper alternative that is strong cider, but that's another story.

17. Veteran Joker

Veteran Joker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am glad he drank special brew, not carlsberg special brew, but coop own brand tramp fuel (as reccomending for "An utterly disgusting, horrific hangover, this brew wins the trampfuel awards" on the tramp fuel website).

The hangover made swim cry the day afterwards, and swear off of alcohol. A few years later he got sick from smoking tobacco, so sticks to psychedelic drugs and hasn't looked back since.

18. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from zimbabwe
    Well atleast the barman said it was a bottle of beer! I was in Amsterdam at the time, so it probably didn't happen, I was actually in a canal somewhere wondering why the hell I ate all the mushies :p

19. opiatewonder98

opiatewonder98 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    tramps drink

20. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    So do ducks. Giraffes too, although with some difficulty.