Oral use - New Sleeping Pill! Rozerem (Ramelteon)

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by Ambient1, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ambient1

Ambient1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Has anyone tried the Rozerem? It's the newest sleeping pill on the market. Unlike mosthypnotics (Ambien, Sonota,Lunesta) that work on GABA receptors, Rozeremworkson melaton receptors. Thus, I don't know if it will have any euphoric effects or even any at all. If anyone has any experience with it, I'd really like to know about. Thanks.

2. soma

soma Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    i second this. my online pharmacy has this in stock :)

3. armatitumor

armatitumor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    What is the difference between taking Rozerem and taking Melatonin? I
    take Melatonin every night before I go to bed, and it almost always
    cures my insomnia. Would Rozerem work even better for me, or is it the
    same as a high dose of melatonin? Also, I assume its prescription, not
    over-the-counter?

4. blindpanda_eric

blindpanda_eric Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Melatonin works for me, but when I take it for a week, it doesnt work any longer.

This is weird... drugs.com has some info.

5. Ambient1

Ambient1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Here’s my full report on Rozerem:

Participant Information

175 lbs @ 5’11”

Previous Prescriptions: Chloral Hydrate, Doxepin, Lunesta, Respirdol, Seroquel, Sonata, Trazodone, Vicodin

Current Prescriptions: Effexor XR, 150mg daily, Wellbutrin XL, 150mg daily, Ambien, 10-15mg before bed as needed, Xanax, 0.5mg 1-3 times per day as needed

History of Alcoholism or Illicit Drug Use: None</LI>
    [/list]
    Experiment 1:

Participant went through 4 day “wash-out period” from Ambien and Sonata before experiment began.

T+0:00 Ingested one 8mg capsule.

T+0:30 No effect. Ingested another 8mg capsule.

T+1:00 Still no effect. Ingested another 8mg capsule.

T+1:30 Still no effects! Experiment terminated.

Comments: This is highly disappointing. I had a lot of hope for this drug. In the future, it may add to our knowledge-base if we had experiments involving:

1. Higher dosages at once
    2. Chewing them
    3. Snorting them
    4. Mixing with alcohol/dissolving them in alcohol
    5. Mixing with other hypnotics
    6. Mixing with benzodiazepines, particularly Xanax

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
  6. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Rozerem (Ramelteon)

New on the scene, my doc just ordered me 8mg pills to get to bed. The first night sucked, although I fell asleep on a cloud, I woke up every hour on the hour!! I was pissed.

Second night took 2, much better, crashed nicely, a good 14 hours or so. Maybe too long.

Will try 1.5 tonight. Maybe I can get this to 9 hours and I will be happy.

Anyone else heard/tried this medication?

7. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I thinks this mediction is going to usher in a new era of insomnia treatment. It's action is very unique, being a melatonin MT 1 & 2 receptor agonist. Many reps claims it's about 10 times as strong as melatonin itself. The main advantage for doctors is that it's reported to have no abuse potential. This medication is quite interesting, but I'm not sure it compares to ambien, lunesta, and all the others as far as it's effectiveness. Please continue to share your experience.

8. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I slept for 15 hours yesterday.. woke up and got in a dispute with my (x) fiancee and then felt great. I have to play a bit more to give an accurate report, but I can verify that 8mg is not enough to knock ya out, 16 does nicely.. maybe too nicely though.

9. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So there is a noticeable effect from these pills? Melatonin has never done anything to me; in Alexander Shulgin's words, "I took melatonin and slept great. The next night I didn't take melatonin and I slept great. Why waste the money?" It must be a unique feeling since Melatonin receptors aren't touched on anywhere else.

10. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Re: Rozerem (Ramelteon)

I recently came across a few of these. Small, light-yellow tablets with "TAK" written across the top (Takeda pharmaceuticals) and "RAM-8" across the bottom.

They are certainly not recreational, and they don't seem to produce much drowsiness or tendency toward sleep either. This strikes SWIM as an unusual case of a pharmaceutical company 'hijacking' a substance already sold for a long time (in this case, melatonin) and getting away with it because of an existing market demand for a non-scheduled and 'non-addictive' sleep medication. There are apparently no published studies showing ramelteon to be more or less safe/effective than melatonin.

Wikipedia claims this: "The obvious advantage of ramelteon is that the product and dosage is more likely to be pure and standardized, because it is a patented prescription drug that is monitored by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)." SWIM sees this as merely a potential advantage, not an obvious advantage. He assumes it is possible to acquire pure, pharmaceutical-grade melatonin.

11. SuprSonik

SuprSonik Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I was prescribed this a couple months back. It wasn't covered by his insurance and a 1-month supply cost quite a lot. After using the sampler he was given (7 pills), SWIM promptly threw the prescription in the trash. I was frustrated that his doctor wanted him to pay so much (the doctor knew SWIM's insurance didn't cover it) for what is little more than pharmaceutical grade melatonin.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  12. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.

I believe the whole selling point of this stuff is the fact that it's not scheduled and "non-addictive," which would look attractive to some doctors in a market dominated by sedative-hypnotics. He hasn't tried it specifically for insomnia though, so this isn't personal experience talking. The price You mentioned (careful, I think mentioning prices is against the rules, although this may not be what the rules refer to) is actually fairly inexpensive for a months's supply of brand name sleep medication. Lunesta or Ambien can cost twice that much.

It actually seems strange though that Takeda "got away with" Rozerem; imagine another company selling pharmaceutical-grade 5-HTP or St. John's Wort. Why knows, maybe we'll be seeing it happen soon. I'm sure the pharmaceutical industry would jump at the chance to get a foot up on 'herbal' remedies.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  13. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o

A few months ago when I was going through very bad methadone/fentanyl withdrawal he went to the doctor to get some benzos or anything that would help.He got some tranxene and a sampler pack of rozerem to help with sleeplesness.Unfortunately it has no recreational effects at all,infact it has no noticeable effects other than you feel sleepy in a pretty natural feeling way,as if you were truly sleepy without the help of any drug.I would have far rather had ambien but considering I was there for a problem with drug addiction his doctor did not want to give him anything that could be addicting,well other than tranxene which is a benzodiazepine ofcourse.If one has insomnia rozerem is a pretty good thing.If one wants an enjoyable chemical experience it is completely useless.

14. sono2351

sono2351 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    I was given a month's worth by my doctor. Unfortunately, I lost interest as soon as I saw that one of the possible side affects is impotency. When I contacted my doctor, he said that the effects were only temporary and were reversible, however this still was not comforting to me as, when I read the full write-up that comes with it, it indicated that the long term impotency affect had not been studied and therefore could not be confirmed either way, something to that affect. Anyone else have more specifics on this or that could shed some more light on this?

15. End The War

End The War Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    as for the SWIMMER who tried them only one night and in surplus...rozerem is kinda like an ssri. in the way that they dont work immediatly. pharmacist and doc claim they can take 5 to 10 days. so what ever effects were felt before that are most likely placebo. these pills arent actually melatonin either. they stimulate the flow of melatonin through the brain and send some sorta "signal" to produce more of it. basically they arfent melatonin. . . .they just stimulate the release and production of it. over the counter melatonin meds and others like 5 htp are strictly placebos as well. stomach acid just chews them up. if your looking for exactly how the body uses 5htp. all you have to do is eat protiens that contain tryptophanes...(however you spell it) in the body tryptophanes are then converted to 5 htp and then in the brain to serotonin. I dont know exactly what help to produce more melatonin. but is doin his research.

on another note...rozerem is generally prescribed to help people get back on track with a natural circadian rythm (sleep wake cycle). its not meant to be used as a permenate solution to sleep issues. best talk to you's doc about this if rozerem doesnt help...as the problem could be from anxiety. which would call for a totally different script ;)

16. Bitxi

Bitxi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan
    Rozerem only worked a bit for SWIM if she took it right before she went to bed and if she smoked a cigarette beforehand. Otherwise it was as if she hadn't even taken anything. Overall as a sleep aide she found it to be quite disappointing.

17. viewphoria

viewphoria Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was given a prescription for Rozerem a couple years ago. I didn't notice any effect at all and didn't bother finishing out the prescription. It was a waste of money IMO, especially since I didn't have insurance at the time.