News-Woman dies after accidently drinking 'liquid ecstasy'

Discussion in 'GHB' started by grecian, Oct 26, 2006.

1. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=22601&in_page_id=34

A promising young graduate has died after drinking 'liquid ecstasy' which she thought was water.

Rute Marques, 22, had a suspected extreme reaction to the drug and GHB after swigging from a bottle.

She had just completed a degree in catering management and was due to gradute within days.

Miss Marques became ill after drinking what she thought was water which had been left lying around a friend's flat in south London.

Although she was not a drug user, it initially appeared that she was suffering from an overdose and she was rushed to nearby St Thomas' Hospital.

The Portuguese-born Miss Marques died the following evening without regaining consciousness.

GHB, the so-called date rape drug, is often diluted with water for consumption, is also known as 'liquid ecstasy' and is popular in gay clubs and with ravers.

Police are investigating how the drug came to be in the water bottle and why the bottle was left at the flat in Hilden House, Parry Street.

Officers suspect it had been used for the purposes of clubbing.

She died just days before she was due to attend her graduation ceremony and was busy making plans for her family to attend the day.

Det Insp Keith Richardson said: 'We are speaking all those who may have been at the flat.

'I would appeal to anyone who has not yet spoken to police, to come forward.'

A post mortem on Miss Marques' body took place last Friday at Greenwich Mortuary but police are awaiting the results of further toxicology tests.

A coroner's inquest will be carried out in due course.

Hugo Marques, the victim's brother, said on the morning of her death she had been making plans for the family to be together at Norwich on Saturday, October 21, for her graduation ceremony from the University of East Anglia.

'She was an independent young woman with thousands of friends and all her life in front of her,' he said.

"From the age of 15, she has worked as well as studying hard. Even at university, she worked at weekends and in the evening.

'Once her course was finished, she moved to London to share a flat with friends and after a few temporary jobs, she had just got a job as a hotel manager and was really happy that her plans were going well.'

'I had not seen her for a while because she was always so busy, although we spoke often.

'But we were all going to be together and celebrate her achievements at the university.

'I did not think I would be visiting her bedside instead as she struggled to hang on to the life she had always enjoyed to the full.'

1. 5/5,
      good find
      Oct 27, 2006
  2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Yeah, right. She mistook the taste of GHB for water. No way on earth.
    And then she died from GHB? Very strange.
    Thousands of friends? This must have been written by a completely ignorant journalist.
    I have left my comments there. I doubt if they will become visible. Feel free to do the same.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  3. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    more bullshit media journalism at its best, with out facts it seems. sigh... pause... not again...

4. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    I should have mentioned a litlle about the newspaper i found the article in. Metro is a free daily newspaper found on public transport systems in 15 or so of the major British cities and I believe it also has sister papers world-wide, although i do not know if they are as prevelant as the metro in the UK.

It's owned by Associated Newspapers who are responsible for spouting a large proportion of the blinkered, right-wing, pro-governent xenophobic rubbish in the UK.

The sad part is that people really get taken in by all of this, for example on the comments page for this story:

'What a waste of a life, such a pretty girl with her entire future ahead of her, cruelly taken. I can only imagine how her family and friends feel, it’s all too easy to read articles such as these and then dismiss them and get on with daily routines. Its only untill you stop and really think about that’s its get you deep inside, imagine if it was someone you loved? People who deal and take drugs are scum and should be erased from existence; yet again an innocent victim falls foul of the scumbags.'

- Hames, Manc

5. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Alfa: people have been known to die from accidentally swallowing NaOH solution. Even if GHB tastes salty and not like water, the woman probably was thirsty and took the glass with the GHB and chugged it all in a second. After that, I bet she realized it wasn't water. SWIM once swallowed a mouthful of shampoo (he is sooo ashamed) and then realized that is wasn't water (the bottle wasn't translucent and it was near a similar bottle with water in it). Puked all night.:(

But the story is definitely not 100% true. Another drug-related death and useful propaganda to mark GHB as a deadly poison. "So, kids, the drug that killed this woman will definitely kill you too. Stay away from it."

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It's nice that the sheep who read such can choose from a few different villans regarding where to lay the blame for this death.

1. Blame people who go to clubs for entertainment - instead of Church.

2. Blame gays - after all they are weak and powerless and fun to beat around.

3. Blame druggies - especially those who use something called 'ecstasy.'

Or re-write the fuckin' article and claim GHB is a drug commonly used by tabloid journalists for inspiration to write such factual stories as Elvis being spotted at a laundromat in Soho.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  7. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    I think there could be some truth to this article. 3 of my friends, all on seperate occasions, have grabbed what they thought was a bottle of water and chugged down a couple of big mouthfulls before realizing it was actually GBL (more potent per mil and much stronger taste than GHB)

The first one had no other drugs in system, was rushed straight to the hospital and was in a coma for 2 days, but survived.

The 2nd one had smoked methamphetamine, after drink she was rushed straight to hospital and in a coma for 3 days and had multiple organ failure, but survived.

The 3rd had taken a combination of MDMA, methamphetamine & Cannabis and thought the amount of GBL he had drunk was less than what he actually had drunk, thought he could sleep it off and died in his sleep.

The first 2 survived, swim beleives, because they told someone what they had done instantly (a minute later they were unconcious) and they were taken to the hospital quickley.

If you are thirsty, and take a big swig of what you think is water, you could easily consume 10-40 times the amount you would usually take. It's a lethal dose.

8. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I see they have ok'd it. I'm surprised.

It's also available in Ireland. It is given out for free on the DART.

9. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    ...and is popular in gay clubs and with ravers.

I stopped reading and started laughing from there. Sereously, scapgoating gays again? AFAIK you really can't overdose on GHB unless you're a complete dipshit, can you?

10. MrG

MrG Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Who the f*ck chugs from a bottle of "water" they find in someone's flat?

Human nature forces you to open the bottle and smell it, maybe take a little taste first to be sure it was ok, irrespective of what you think may be inside.

No-one would have GBL or GHB in a bottle that looked brand new and unopened so it would have looked like an already opened bottle. Shit, I don't chug from already opened bottles of drink in my own house without being a little cautious in case it has gone off !

Exremely suspect story on a number of levels.

11. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I think it sounds possible, but the wording is overblown and the usual news media hype. This sort of hype is really typical of any media story, not just those connected to drugs.

12. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland
    Oh the cry for the innocent. It's Darwinism at work, I tell you. Anyone who picks up an opened water bottle at someone else's house and drinks out of it without first smelling and tasting the contents is the same person who would give her kids a toaster to play with in the tub. Since the species seems to prove survival of the fittest actually works, it's nature's way of purifying the gene pool.

13. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I disagree with your views on this topic, garbled. Darwinism and ideas of natural selection shouldn't be applied to humans. Doing this has led to horrible disasters e.g. the nazi ideology was based on the idea that the "aryan"/"nordic" race is superior to jews and gypsies.

If somebody dies while drunk driving, I don't think he DESERVED to die, and the fact that he decided to drink and drive doesn't mean that his DNA is inferior to someone else's.

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I see this disintegrating into a comedy sketch. Risky-Ruthie who goes place-to-place and drinks unknown liquids found in glasses and jars because some joker has written DRINK ME on the insides of her eyeglasses. Each installment has her visiting different locations - a drycleaners, a textile mill, a pepper-sauce factory, a chemistry lab...etc.

15. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    This story reeks of:
    [​IMG]

16. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland
    Did I say she deserved to die? I think not. Nature is based on suvival of the fittest. Not my rules, I just have to live by them. No one killed the woman because she was weak, or black, or a Jew, or any other reason. She killed her self, because of her own stupidity. Did she deserve that? Nope. But then again, when do we get what we deserve?

17. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You were talking about purifying the gene pool.

Natural selection is based on the survival of superior DNA and elimination of "bad", inferior DNA. If that woman didn't smell the liquid and didn't take a little of it to see how it tastes, that doesn't mean she has inferior DNA to someone else. Her stupidity was shown by the fact that she didn't even try to get rid of the liquid by throwing up, not by the fact that the accidentally swallowed the GHB. If she would have thrown up, nothing significant would've happened.

18. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland
    In my opinion, stupidity may as well be the same thing as inferior DNA, because natural selection removed her's from the DNA pool. Man is doomed to repeat history unless he learns from his mistakes, or his mistakes kill him in advance. I didn't make the rules of nature, I can only observe.

19. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    inferior DNA there is no such thing apart from in-breads.

Disagree, everyone has moments of stupidity be it accidental, on purpose, deliberate. Your observations seem limited one might suggest you journey out in to the world of stupid and study it more. Gene pool has nothing to do with intelligence as the mind is capable of learning new things even to the simple minded whether it be torture,learning books, eyes held open by force to watch and learn new things. etc

20. MrG

MrG Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I think it's more the whole nature versus nurture concept.

i.e. Is it that her natural instinct (dna level) was to fail to check the bottle contents - in which case her dna *is* faulty, hence natural selection

Or is it that her natural instinct was to check the bottle but her developed consciousness (in all it's stupidity) overrode that instinct and gave her the all clear to neck the contents of the bottle and ignore the inherent risks? - not faulty dna but faulty mind - un-natural selection