Experiences - Nicotine and Kratom synergy?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by lyingspeed, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lyingspeed

lyingspeed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    Hey all,

So I just started using kratom, and am a total n00b

This morning I took about 4 grams of kratom, got the sedating, opiate-like effects, as expected. This was my third time using kratom, the first time I took about 4 grams, and the second time 2, because I needed the stimulating effect, which worked.

But anyways, this morning I was walking to the near by tobacco outlet to get more rolling tobacco, and sparked up a cig. It was my first cig of the day, and at first everything was normal, normal morning nicotine buzz, all that. Then, right when I was finishing off the cig, I got this huge head rush, and my legs went numb and turned to jello, similar as to if I did a line of hydrocodone. The weirdest thing of it all was that the kratom was wearing off.

I've had a similar experience with nicotine like that maybe once before, and it was my first cig of the day, but nothing to that extent. I just had a small tingling of the face and legs, nothing compared to what happened today. I've been smoking cigarettes daily for four years, and smoke probably a half a pack a day (I roll my own, so that's a rough guess).

So, kratom experts, what do you make of this? Some weird placebo? A true synergy/interaction?
    Any input is welcome.

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
  3. lyingspeed

lyingspeed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the links, and sorry, I should have used the search engine, I don't know why I didn't. Durp.

4. thirdeyelasik

thirdeyelasik Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yes kratom and pretty much any opiate go amazingly well with nicotine. It truly helps kick them in for me. As I'm sure you already know be careful with your use as it seems so innocent until it slowly becomes a daily thing. Enjoy!

5. lyingspeed

lyingspeed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    It does seem innocent, it's not like any other opiate or opiate-like substances... almost like a benzo mixed with a small amount of tramadol. I tried some of it last night in combination with my nightly 5mgs of diazepam and 2mgs of clonazepam, and it seemed to bring out the physical effects of the benzos a lot. I was watching sling blade and ended up passing out on the couching listening to one of my favorite, euphoric-inducing playlist's. I woke up in my room and didn't remember getting there until thinking very hard about the previous night and waking up around 4 in the morning and going to my room. It was nice, but I learned not to underestimate it, as blacking out is a rare occurrence for me.

6. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    lyingspeed - So you took two powerful Benzos and blame Kratom for knocking you out!? Great logic :)

7. lyingspeed

lyingspeed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    haha, i've got a 3 year tolerance to benzos, i should have explained that part...

8. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I can't say i have ever been knocked out by kratom. If anything it make falling asleep more difficult for me.
    Perhaps there is a synergy with the benzos you take or it potentiates them, but i doubt that a few grams of kratom would knock someone out, but then again we are all different.

9. lyingspeed

lyingspeed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    I don't weigh much, so I don't need a lot to get the sedating effects. And yes, I think they do synergize, because I've been doing this pretty much every night and then using roughly a gram in the morning for its stimulating effects, which was the main reason I started using kratom. An alternative to amphetamines, because caffeine doesn't work, ephedrine is a bit better but has a lot of side effects, and I just don't mix well with provigil and nuvigil (sorry to use brand names, I don't know the generic ones). But mixing those two drugs makes for quite the night.

10. best

best Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Mitragynine (in Kratom) is known to be a Mu Opioid Agonist. Activation of the Mu Opioid Receptor has been shown to release Zinc:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25293330
    , Zinc has numerous actions on brain receptors but one thing that may enhance the Nicotine is Zinc potentiating Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors :
    http://m.jn.physiology.org/content/99/2/999

Stinulation of the Mu Opioid & Nicotinic Receptors are known to release Dopamine also, which probably is the majority of synergy with Kratom & Nicotine, but still possible that Zinc plays a role.

Added:
    Zinc is also a known NMDA Antagonist, studies show NMDA Antagonism augments Nicotine's Dopamine Release :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18579301

Along with enhancing Dopamine release Zinc is known to allostericly effect the Dopamine Transporter, it has shown to augment Cocaines Dopamine reuptake inhibition, PLUS it can help Amphetamines Dopamine Release when Amphetamine Reverses the Dopamine Transporter.
    http://m.jbc.org/content/277/24/21505.full

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015