Health - Nitrous dangerous as other Inhalants?

Discussion in 'Nitrous Oxide' started by Jgamer509, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Jgamer509

Jgamer509 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from algeria
    Ok this is a simple question. I've been searching google and shit but for some reason no site really answers it. Nitrous oxide is always listed under a list of Inhalants on like every site. But does it cause the same Nerve + Brain + Heart + Lung damage that other inhalants cause? Because all i've ever heard of Nitrous abusers dying off of was asphyxiasion. So is there any way, besides asphyxiasion, that Nitrous can cause brain/cell/tissue damage?

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    dont quote me but no,i think the main worry with N2o is vitamin k deffinancy.

3. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I don't think so... it wouldn't be so widely used by dentists if it did. Of course the dosages + amounts of time used are pretty small...

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The only real dangers with N2O is from anoxia (oxygen deprivation) to the brain and other organs, and freezing the skin, tissues, lungs if inhaled directly from a cylinder. It doesn't cause any organic damage of and by itself.

5. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    ^^ So what you are saying is that the worry over B12 related neurotoxicity etc is not a real one? AFAIK the deplation of vitamin levels and the theoretical damage begins when the exposure is longer than one and a half hour. But the risk isn't significant with a wordly consumption rate? Excluding guys like an example from erowid; a person paralysed temprararily from using extremely heavily N2O for six months.

Also I've read somewhere(a safe bet to cite), propably from erowid, that people with an ear disease of some sort are in risk of permanent loss of hearing. The nitrous expands the air cavitys in the body, that's what causes the distortion of sounds and the nitrous sound, I guess.

Generally, though, no, it is a lot safer than other inhalants.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I was speaking for those who use it recreationaly. Those who would hook themselves up to a cylinder and stay on N2O as a lifestyle - all bets are off. Even with 80% O2 in the mix, people have to behave sanely and not overdo anything. Even food - which seems to be the latest deadly-addiction in the USA.

7. Jgamer509

Jgamer509 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from algeria
    Ok thanks a lot cause SWIM wanted to use dust-off or some other inhalant and instead I told SWIM to use a whipped cream container instead. Just wondering if it was safer cause I didn't want SWIM to die off of dust-off or any of that shit.

8. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    once again dont quote/trust me but i belive the danger of dust-off lies in the fact that you keep huffing to make you buzz last,while your doing this the chemicals are ging straight to your brain causeing an eventual toxic buildup of chems which lead to overdose and death.

9. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Any Solvent-based inhalant (for example Toluene) whether used as a propellant or as a medium for dissolving (which is what solvent means, lol) carries huge risks to anyone using it improperly.

Inhalants can (and do) kill people instantly. The scariest thing about this for I am that it is totally random who drops dead. Well it probably isn't but it seems that way.

Nitrous Oxide is not a solvent, AFAIK. If it were, would food companies happily use it to propel that lovely, saturated-fat-filled cream outta the can? .... I think not.

Nitrous Oxide, while being a gas, belongs in a completely different category of drugs. One which is probably a great deal safer than bona fide inhalants!

PS: Nag, I don't see the 80% O2 level staying still with America and China pumping shite into our skies.
    EDIT: Got my CO2's and my O2's mixed up. O2 levels are indeed approx 18% at sea level. Duuuuh! Time for more sleep, methinks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    That's a medical cut for use as an anesthetic. Air contains around 18% O2 at sea level.

11. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    80%o2 air levals=the new big bang

12. Jgamer509

Jgamer509 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from algeria
    So basically the reason that these inhalants cause that much damage is because they are mad to dissolve?

Actually I think I saw something like this today, i was spraying my computer with dust-off and all along the wall there was a liquid-type thing that looked like a stain, but then it dissolved, and I was like "Wow that would be disgusting to inhale".

13. Smuv

Smuv Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    No. Modern inhilation anesthetics are all solvents (N2O excluded, although its not so modern). Most inhilation anesthetics currently used are halogenated ethers. Therefore currently used inhilation anesthetics are all basically haloginated organic solvents.

The problems are not derived from the solvents disolving you and messing things up, more so, many solvents that people "huff" are toxic/carcinogens or get metabolized into things that are toxic/carcinogens. Although i beleive the anti-hiffing propiganda is highly skewed because i think Sudden sniffers death syndrome only applies to chlorinated solvents.

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I think we can suffice to say that N2O is in a totaly different class than things like spray-paint and glue. And has no relation, either, to chlorofluoro-ethers used in modern anesthesia.

N2O is relatively safe and won't kill you if you also breathe air and use common sense. Using something like Dust-Off to get a buzz shows a lack of common sense from the outset.

15. Smuv

Smuv Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    If this is in response to me, I was not referring to nitrous at all, merely demistifying the toxcicity of volitile anesthetics (ie not nitrous) for the previous poster.

I would agree, nitrous is pretty damn safe. If it wasnt, it still wouldnt be used medically, and on top of that nitrous has a damn long record and over all this time is still considered safe.

16. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    'Nuff said, to be honest. As for Dust-Off... Oops!

Volatile solvents (Isopropane/Toluene/Etc) are indeed a totally seperate (sp?) class of drugs, if one could even call them drugs.

Put as succintly as possible:
    • Huffing Glade (or the lung-slaying inhalant of your choice) will probably fry your brain after a while, anf you could end up on the wrong side of the floor from even one use, even if it doesn't usually kill you.
    • Inhaling copious amounts of N20, whilst remembering that your brain ain't too fond of going without good old O2 for any considerable length of time, probably won't kill you. As a rule of thumb: 1 breath Nitrous, 1 breath Air. And don't do it for ridiculous periods of time, and avoid everyday use.
    There ya go, kids! Put this on top of your Alchemist's blackbook or whatever that piece-o'-crap kiddie-killing manual was called....

Edit: Is there a particular place for discussion of recreational use of volatile solvents on DF? IF not, maybe there should be one for harm reduction purposes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  17. Smuv

Smuv Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    duster is DAMN dangerous. This is from the material safty data sheet of ethyl chloride (the main component of duster)

"TUMORIGENIC: Inhalation exposure produced tumors in experimental rats and mice after 6 hour exposure at 15,000 ppm "

15,000ppm is high but its not a rediculously high concentration. Then again considering the simularity between ethyl chloride, ethyl bromide and ethyl iodide, i suppose the toxcicty could be forseen.

18. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Ethyl Chloride is used medically and is not considered a carcinogen (or tumorigen) the last time I looked.

15,000ppm is 1.5% of the "air" you're breathing. Not a lot if you are huffing this muck - Dust-Off - intentionally. Blech!

19. Smuv

Smuv Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Well i was referring exactly to people inhaling chloroethane. While msds's normally do exadgerate things chloroethane looks to be pretty toxic. True, medical use, but for removing warts...thats a little different.

anyhow, enough of this I am leading this thread off topic

oh and 15,000ppm for six hours...true that would be a 1.5% concentration but SIX hours. I wouldnt be suprised if that was more carcinogenic than benzene.

20. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    You brought it up - that paper doesn't really conclude a cancer risk. Possibility-Yes. But in short-term exposure...maybe. Chloroethane that is. Possible they had to poison a cat for the Californians out there - if you know about California and their label laws.

Anywho - Nitrous Oxide is considered to be safe for use as use as a general anesthetic. Ethyl Chloride is not really that well studied. Probably because it explodes and fills a room with HCl. Nasty! Rust the scalpel fast.

Once again: Common Sense. Use it - or lose it.