Paraphernalia - Nitrous whippet crackers - The review thread.

Discussion in 'Nitrous Oxide' started by Mega maniac, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Mega maniac

Mega maniac Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Ok, so this thread is to link people to when the incredibly popular thread comes up "what cracker do i buy" remember, no linking to commercial sites and no mentioning of price. i just re-read the rules and im pretty certain thats everything :p

Ok, so im going to hit up the start of this post with three dispensers I have used and what his opinions are of them, he is then going to rate them out of 5 for your reading pleasure.

The first cracker I used :
    [​IMG]

This cracker was bought because SWIMM was going to reading and wanted to be able to go to the main arena with a few whippets in his pocket, it lasted him the whole time and got stolen on the last day.

Usability: pop in an 8gm whippet to the bottom container, screw on the lid, a pin pops the whippet, now unscrew with a balloon over the top of the lid, as you unscrewthe pin is withdrawn and the nitrous rushes out through holes in the lid.

Its Advantages: Its so portable, for SWIM at least portability is a major advantage as he loves to pop over to a mates with a few whippets and share the fun. This thing is barly bigger than the 8gm cart it pops, so easily pocketable. Its just about solid metal, the pin that pops the whippet is welded onto the lid, the rest is totally solid, its going to last till you die providing you dont lose it, like me.

Disadvantages: Its a bigge unfortunatly, any of us who are out of highschool (and that should be everyone) know that expanding gas cools, unfortunatly the metal body of this popper get stupidly cold after only 3 or 4 cracks, you need gloves on to operate it after this or it sticks to your hand like superglue.Expensive for what it is.

Its a good little popper, but unfortunatly its ability to gove you massive freezer burns looses it 2 stars -

3/5

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

What SWIMM's friends use when he is at theirs, and what he has always seen it sold from:
    [​IMG]

The classic one we see all over the place, in coffe shops, head shops, everywhere.

Useability: Very easy to use, like a 5 year old could do it. take off the tubular part on the rear, pop in the whippet, screw it down, roll a balloon over the nozzel and pull the trigger until its filled to the level you desire, let go of the trigger and any remaining nitrous is kept safe.

Advantages: Its main advantage is above, its ease of use. consider nitrous is a relativly recent drug for recreational use, its been used in the coffe shop industry for years, so this device is quite well refined.

It doesnt freeze off your hands, you tend to hold the body and this never really gets past the point of just cool.

You can make whipped cream...

Disadvantages: Its very big, you need a bag to carry it, if SWIMM had had this at reading he would have had in conviscated in a second if he tried to get it into the main arena. Its also a hassel if he wants to take it to a friends house, he cant just pop it in his pocket.

It has air in it before the first whippet is used, although the nitrous tends to rush through the top of the dispenser and straight into the balloon, it is heavier than air, and you enevitably lose some nitrous in eash fill and gain a bit of air.

Oh and lastly, SWIMM lived with parents until recently, this was signifcantly easier to hide from them. SWIMM isnt too worried they may find out about his "habits" but they are happier in ignorance.

Its a good dispenser, and most people it does, but the size of the damn thing loses it 2 stars:

3/5

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

SWIMM's current popper, a little bit of a story to this one (just skip this paragraph if you dont want to know the facinating story of discovery) -

When SWIM's last popper got nicked at reading he began searching the net for a better one, he loved the portability of his last one but hated both how quickly it got unbearably cold and its tall price for what was effectivly a piece of metal. SWIMM is a media student, his mind works on one level when looking for a product on the net "if there is demand there HAS to be supply, that is the nature of buisness" so he searched for hours and was all but beaten when he tripped upon a small nugget of information. Cyclists use co2 in their bike tyres so they can take liquid co2 with them in a back pack and re-inflate their tyres if they deflate in a snap. So SWIM resurched it, as far as I could tell the canisters for co2 were identicle to nitrous, this also made production sense, why produce the gasses in different types of canisters, its chaper not to. What SWIMM was worried about was that the popper was a 16gm one and SWIMM had lots of 8gm left. But he figured that it only makes good maufacturing sence to make the bit that pops the same size on any variation of canister. So he could surly just prop up an 8gm canister with somthing. SWIMM wasnt sure on this but took the gamble. Below are the results of the gamble;

[​IMG]

Useability: Ok, so its a 16gm popper, I use 16gm whippets now, but when he had 8gm whippets he had to apply a small and easy modification which took seconds and he didnt have to leave his room to acomplish it, read below if you need to use 8gm whippets.

This is pretty damnded easy to use, pop in the whippet, screw down, stretch a balloons over the front of the cracker and squeeze trigger (remember there is a trigger lock on the back). Also remember the red lever does nothing here, its for tightening the device on a bike tyre, it can be up or down.

- 8gm - Ok, so SWIMM's solution to the container being a 16gm one was this, stack 14 pennies in the bottom of the popper, rip up some corregated card and place this around the inside edge of the bottom of the popper, rip a slightly thinner piece and do the same to the inside of the top. Your popper will now pop 8gm canisters.

Advantages : Its plastic, so it really doesnt get that cold, it does get frost on some bits but this is really neglable and doesnt affect usage, SWIMM's filled up 20ish balloons one after the other with this and never had a problem.

Its pocketable, its really not big atall, yea its slightly bigger than the first one reviewed and its never going to be somthing that is comfy in the bottom of your pockets, but if your going somwhere you can just pick it up and go, its not cumbersome.

Its really very cheap for what it is, and undercuts both the above.

You can inflate bike tyres with it...

Disadvantages: It really is hard to pick up on this things bad points.

You have to stretch the balloon over the 'nozzel', this makes it ever so slightly harder to use than the second review, but its neglable.

Mine did develop a fault, one of the rubber parts of the valve broke, i managed to repair this by just buying a new rubber bit, but none the less it did break. So its not quite as durable as the first review, but again i think i was unlucky.

Its a brilliant little cracker, with the advantages of both of the other units SWIMM has used, it is by far the best cracker SWIMM has used and SWIMM just wants to scream at people when they say they are buying a more expensive sub-par cracker. Its durability loses it 1/2 a star so

4andahalf/5

---
    Pm me if you need any details about the above nitrous poppers.
    ---

Mods - Hey, I know stickies can clog up the top of a forum and make it look over-crowded, but ive seen this question 3 or so times since ive been here, and multiple times on some other boards aswell. Might be a good sticky if you think its well laid out enough? I can always add peoples opinions to the first post of poppers they have tried.

You do a brilliant job by the way, ive never known a forum to uphold its discipline so strictly, which you do very well, and it only serves to better the forum. Good job sirs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  2. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    tiny niggle is You sure the cyclists use helium to inflate their tyres, SWIM always thought it was CO2 carbon dioxide? Good thread though

3. Mega maniac

Mega maniac Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Now you mention it it does seem to ring a bell, doesnt really amtter so much, the point resounds :p

4. Mega maniac

Mega maniac Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Bumb a bit -

Just edited the first post to contain co2 in the text as opposed to helium, also edited out a few mistakes. Mainly I just thought i would bump the thread :p

5. voodoo child

voodoo child Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    That's the one I've got. It is big, but its functionality as a whipped cream maker gives me an excuse whenever someone I don't want finding it stumbles upon it.

What's harder to explain are the empty cartridges lying all over my room... that's a little sketchier...

6. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    In exasperated tone: "I was MAKING a CAKE!"

7. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I use one similar to #1. I have used one exactly like the one shown, but has found a different one (different manufacturer). It is a little more heavy and the top is curved such that the balloon can "hold" on to the cracker somewhat better. This one gets cold as well, but not as badly as the other one. He only has problems when he tries to crack multiple cartridges in the same balloon.

Attached Files:

8. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I suppose you are just addicted to whipped cream. Because using nitrous chargers for any other purpose would be illegal in the US. Can you clear this up for me?

9. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim used to have the second one. He didn't really use it for nitrous so he can't comment much on how it works for that, but he has to say that its GREAT for putting whipped cream on pies and the like, or just shooting it into your mouth for sugar high!

10. Purest

Purest Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Swim bought the second one for his friend as a birthday present. Unfortunately in the pack of 24, 5 remain completely unopenable at present.

11. voodoo child

voodoo child Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    Exactly.

Now SWIM, that dude's addicted to nitrous. He's been going through 48 cartridges a day.

Crazy SWIM... :D

12. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    He HAS been going or he IS going through 48 cartridges a day? You seems to have great chances for brain and nerve damage due to vitamin B12 deficiency.

13. voodoo child

voodoo child Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    SWIM still does, although today I haven't done much nitrous at all and seems to be okay.

I have definitely noticed a slower reaction time and a bit of a nauseous feeling that won't seem to go away since he started using nitrous oxide.

I find it a very unintelligent way to get high when done in such extreme doses, but SWIM's addicted, moreso than he's ever been to any of the so-called "hard" drugs.

Any good solutions you have to get off of this stuff? Because honestly, I don't want to hurt his brain anymore than he already has.

Thx in advance.

14. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIy should take vitamin b12 suppliments. There is another thread about nitrous and like health effects, you should look at it and pass the info along to swiy. Not sure about how to get off if it; usually tapering oneself off addicting substances is best as when one goes cold turkey, they get the withdraw symptoms

15. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Create a new thread in Recovery and Addiction and you'll get some advice. B12 and folic acid will help the body recover, but You probably needs support in quitting the nitrous or at least tapering down.

16. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I find that considering the amount of money he has spent on the gas usually stops him making another order too soon.....tbh I find nitrous extreamly addictive, in a compulsive way in the short term like seconds or minutes after using some but an hour later he is fine and fully able to choose whether or not to consume more

17. voodoo child

voodoo child Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    Thanks everyone, but SWIM's just getting a chance to read this thread now and has already weened himself from nitrous. SWIM still head still feels really tingly and airy every now and then, possibly from the NO2.

But yeah, geezaman, it's definitely a compulsive thing. Even worse, I'm crazy OCD, so when I get a compulsion about something, it's hard to stop.

18. slamball89

slamball89 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from brazil
    Does anyone know if this little guy would work with 8g cartridges?

[​IMG]

19. Mega maniac

Mega maniac Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Yes, but a couple of things.
    1. Its got nothing holding it in, which means the cartridge must be threaded, these are hard to get hold of.
    2. Its gonna get crazy cold.

20. Sarge

Sarge Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Just today I found a similar one in my local 2nd hand shop. It was only XXXXXXXXX but it didn't come with any whippets as far as I could tell.

SWIM might buy one but he's not sure, he still lives with his parents and offcourse something like that isn't easy to hide from them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007