1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

USA - Ohio Guns & Alcohol 'Party' Goes Horribly Wrong

Discussion in 'Weird News' started by Rob Cypher, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Rob Cypher

Rob Cypher

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Police in Montville Township, Ohio, arrested two men, Mark Bornino and R. Daniel Volpone, after they allegedly drank alcohol and fired off guns, including an AK-47 assault weapon, during target practice Wednesday.

Unbeknownst to the men, police said, the bullets ripped through their paper marks and hit houses 500 yards away, narrowly missing families in their homes.

In once instance, bullets tore through the walls of a house and hit a microwave, reportedly moments after a woman exited her kitchen, according to NBC local news station WKYC.

Startled residents called 911 after hearing rapid gunfire, but according to ABC's WEWS in Montville Township, responding officers were soon dodging bullets themselves as they traced additional shots.

“When I get about a half mile back in the field up on a hill, gunfire started again, and started hearing rounds go over my head,” Montville Police Sgt. Matt Neil said to WEWS.

According to the Medina Gazette, Bornino and Volpone were found drinking alcohol and in possession of marijuana, three handguns and an AK-47 assault weapon with 628 rounds. They were not using a proper backstop.

Neil said the men thought shooting targets at a downward angle would stop the bullets, but apparently "bullets skipped off the ground, and carried over hills striking at least two homes police estimated to be... 500 yards from where the target shooting took place."

The men's guns were seized, and they now face a third-degree felony charge for discharging a firearm on or near a prohibited place.

Police incidents involving AK-47 assault weapons are not all that rare in the United States. On Jan. 10, Chicago police seized an AK-47 and nearly 400 rounds of ammunition from the home of a man who had reportedly pointed a gun at his landlord.

In August 2012, a Philadelphia man was arrested on the SEPTA subway after police found "a dismantled AK-47, a stock, a bayonet, a 40-round clip, a .38-caliber handgun, about 25 Percocet pills, a bag of marijuana and $700 in cash" in a bag he was carrying.

In 2010, police arrested a Long Island man who fired an AK-47 in order to allegedly scare gang members away from his home. The man said that gang members had threatened his life and the lives of family members.

Gun control in the United States has become a topic of intense debate following the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., in which 20 children and six staff died.

Recent polls show that background checks on gun buyers are supported by 92 percent of Americans. Police noted that Volpone and Bornino had both passed background checks.

"You have to think beyond just pulling the trigger and looking through the scope," Neil told WKYC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...iel-volpone-ohio-alcohol-ak-47_n_2496990.html

2. GoldGarden

GoldGarden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o Male from earth
    Well, there's a new one... Who woulda thought alcohol and ammo wouldn't go together... *roll eyes*

I think it's all fine and dandy for the right to bare arms and all... But you should at least have to take a course in gun safety first!!!

3. Karmageddon

Karmageddon Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    And maybe an IQ test as well. Sometimes stupid is more dangerous than evil. What a bunch of idiots.

4. Sgmfrd

Sgmfrd Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    I understand handgun possession, but assault-rifles?? What the shit,you can do so many things wrong with those toys.

5. Michele Lavigne

Michele Lavigne Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from California, U.S.A.
    These people handling guns after such high influence of alcohol on them is dead scary. It is really surprising to see so many shooting cases these days. So many stupid and negligent incidents take away innocent lives. These things should not be made so easy to lay ones hands on.

6. Doctor Rockzo!

Doctor Rockzo! Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Sigh. Some people these days. This will more then likely just influence the stigma guns are already gaining in this country...but what kind of ingorance causes a person to think they can use a gun will drunk. I can barely fuckkng type while drunk. (This took 35 minutes to write an I think its pretty good.) But they think they can use assualt rifles properly. Those people are the same type of people who have copious amounts of booze and then get behind the wheel. Tsk tsk.

7. sledhead583

sledhead583 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Gun control is a hot button issue right now. I agree that alcohol and guns don't mix. However the real ignorance lies among the politicians and citizens who think background checks and limiting clip size will stop these crimes. I live in New York state ( NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH NEW YORK CITY, most of NYS is rural for those of you who don't know!!!!) where they have already passed new gun laws since the first of the year. One such law outlaws clips over ten rounds, and prohibits the sale of clips over 7 rounds. However there is no limit to the number of loaded clips a person can posess. Not gonna slow down anybody who has practice with their chosen firearm. Another seemingly meaningless law just passed prohibits tactical and pistol grip stocks on shotguns and rifles. These stocks do not increase the performance of the weapon at all, it is merely a personal preferance. Laws requiring background checks on guns and ammunition are in the works as well but are facing strong opposition by several groups. This may be due to the fact that Gov. Cuomo thinks its appropriate to limit sales to those with violent criminal histories (including simple assaults without weapons) and people with a history of mental illness. The latter is particularly upsetting because i have several family members with mental health issues who find hunting very therapeutic, and it tramples on the right to privacy that any patient in the U.S. should have. How many paranoid schizophrenics are going to stop seeking treatment if they find out that their records are being released to law enforcement/gov't agencies? I would guess that a lot would. I was born in a rural community where every child was taught gun safety at a very young age because many people still hunt and trap to help feed their families. I left when I was 18 to see what life in Cleveland was like so my worldly knowledge is greater than anybody who has lived solely in a rural community or solely in an urban community. I understand both sides of the argument. I really do, but I have to say I definately support my rural roots. These are the people who really need the right to bear arms. I hate to say it but city slickers are living up to their names as of late. Pure ignorance. Don't they realize there is no easy answer? Is it worth trampling on citizens rights? Sorry for my rant, just need to vent a little more everytime I hear about this stuff..........

8. Docta

Docta Idiot Savant Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    @sledhead583 could you please edit you post into paragraphs so it's easier to read.

It can be important to remind ourselves when thinking on these kind of issues that the kind of thinking that created these problems will not fix them. Only new strategy will lead to change, maintaining the status quo will solve nothing. I am from a gun control country called Australia, the reality that gun control works, saves lives and leads to a less paranoid, less fearful society is not one that many Americans fine appealing. Fact is the truths of this reality are self evident so I have a rebuttal of some of your opinions.

I think its you that can't make the link between having a gun in the hands of the wrong person and gun related homicide, strengthening of background checks and the limiting of hand gun ownership to licences gun club members has made a remarkable impact on gun related homicide. By far the biggest reduction has been in suicide and combination murder-suicide. The removal of firearms as a weapon of opportunity has saved untold lives.

High capacity magazines allow the user to engage multiple targets with out reloading. They afford the ability to keep and maintain fire superiority when encountered by law enforcement, this has led time and time again to prolonged exchanges of gunfire in residential areas. Less militaristic firearms kill less people this is a fact, military arms are developed for a war like situation, it should be no surprise that there influence has led to war situations of mass deaths.

Untrue, the proliferation of "bump stock" conversions coupled with high capacity magazines has enhanced the lethality of semiautomatic rifles and shot gums. This system makes pseudo full automatic weapons. It is this increase above the manufacturers cyclic rate that needs to be rained in because all guns have a firing ceiling by law.

Laws are for the good of the hole society and this always comes into conflict with the individual. In Australia farmers and sporting shooters that have been convicted of crimes can state there case on appeal, we have had no problems. In fact the level of ownership by responsible gun owners has increased since the gun control reformed.

If somebody has a mental illness or has been convicted of a crime and they don't have a good reason to own a gun they should not have one.

Your right there is no easy answer but advocating standing by and doing nothing or throwing your toys out the "citizens rights" pram wont fix things.

Having the constitutional authority to shoot and kill another human being legitimizes violence as a means of conflict resolution. Applying 18th century gun rights legislation to the 21st century is a child like mentality not taking into account the evolution of society. Just like slavery these archaic laws need to be amended.

In general we don't have guns in our society here and there have been no negative effects, there have been some problems with the control of introduced species in Australia such a foxes but the has been attended to by increasing the bounty payed by the government. The idea that a gun equates to safety is a kind of paranoia that maybe the hardest to let go of but in the long run only good can come from a realistic recognition of the problem.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013