Health - Olanzipine, Risperidone, Quetiapine, lawsuits

Discussion in 'Antipsychotics' started by wellhelm, Mar 18, 2007.

1. wellhelm

wellhelm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    Zyprexa like Risperdal and Seroquel, has been associated with serious side effects in patients, especially those who have already been diagnosed with diabetes.

Knowledge of the potential dangers of Zyprexa were discovered as a result of a series of findings beginning in 2001 when the FDA was alerted to 19 case reports of diabetes associated with the drug.

One of these cases resulted in a patient's death due to necrotizing pancreatitis, a very serious condition in which cells in the pancreas die.

An emergency report issued by the Japanese Health and Welfare Ministry in April of 2002 concerning the side effects of Zyprexa noted that there had been two deaths of patients who had diabetes prior to taking the anti-psychotic medication.

It also reported that there had been seven other patients who lost consciousness or slipped into comas after taking the drug.

In April of 2003, the Wall Street Journal ran a front page article on Zyprexa and the other Atypical Antipsychotics with respect to their connection to cases of Type 2 diabetes ( sometimes called "adult onset diabetes").

The authors of the Wall Street Journal article estimated that somewhere around 11 million people have taken Zyprexa. An eight-year study found that nearly 300 patients developed diabetes, 75 became seriously ill, and 23 died.

In addition to the Wall Street Journal article, five lawsuits were filed against Eli Lilly and Co. accusing the company of failing to warn Zyprexa patients of the risk that Zyprexa caused the patients' diabetes.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages of up to $35 million. In order to confront the charges, Lilly sponsored two patient trials and opened its files of Zyprexa patients to an outside researcher to study the issue.

The lawsuits claim that Lilly knew that the product was dangerous and unsafe and that it never took the necessary steps to provide this critical information to medical professionals or patients.

Finally, in May of 2003 forty reports of hyperglycemia (elevated blood sugar), diabetes mellitus, or exacerbation of diabetes were received in the UK including one which proved to be fatal.

In March of 2004, Eli Lilly ( the company that markets Zyprexa in the United States) sent a so call "Dear Doctor Letter" to thousands of physicians who were likely to use Zyprexa.

The letter indicated that Lilly was adding a warning statement to the Zyprexa label regarding the increased risk of hyperglycemia and diabetes in people taking Zyprexa and similar medicines.

Risperdal (Risperidone) Lawsuit
    Risperdal, which is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a division of Johnson & Johnson, is another member of the family of drugs knows as Atypical Antipsychotics.

Risperdal has been linked to diabetes and, more specifically, Type 2 Diabetes. (Type 2 Diabetes is sometimes called adult-onset diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and stroke)

Other serious side effects, however, include Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS), Tardive Dyskinesia, stroke or stroke-like events, and even death. (NMS is a potentially fatal syndrome involving muscle rigidity, and irregular blood pressure and pulse).

Tardive Dyskinesia is a central nervous system disorder, which results in involuntary movement of the limbs and twitching of the face and tongue.)

Although it is primarily used for treating schizophrenia, Risperdal is also used to control other behavioral disorders in elderly patients ( such as nursing home patients) who have delusions, aggression, and anxiety as is often seen in patients with Alzheimer's disease and/or dementia.

Risperdal has also been under scrutiny for causing severe side effects and adverse reactions mentioned above.

Although Risperdal was approved by the FDA in 1994, it took some time before the dangerous side effects were completely identified though a series of studies.

On April 11th of 2003 Johnson & Johnson sent "Dear Doctor" letters to thousands of physicians in the United States advising them of the possible risk of stroke among elderly patients taking Risperdal.

The letter indicated that Johnson and Johnson had modified the Risperdal label so that practitioners were aware that:

" there was a significantly higher incidence of cerebrovascular adverse events in patients treated with risperidone compared to patients treated with placebo. RISPERDAL has not been shown to be safe or effective in the treatment of patients with dementia-related psychosis.
    This came after Johnson & Johnson had received 37 reports of stroke or related events like blood clots or hemorrhages, including 16 deaths.

As a result of these findings, Johnson & Johnson updated the warning label on Risperdal to include more specific information about strokes in the elderly. At this time it became apparent that Risperdal should not be used to treat dementia because there is no evidence that it is safe or effective in that capacity.

Risperdal has also been known to cause irregular headaches, muscle weakness and spasms, high fever, constipation, weight gain, and headaches.

People on Risperdal who have any or all of these side effects should contact their doctor and discuss these problems with their doctor because these conditions may be warning signs of serious illness.

Seroquel (Quetiapine Fumarate ) Lawsuit
    Seroquel, manufactured by AstraZeneca, is an oral medication used to manage the symptoms associated with schizophrenia such as delusions, thought disorder, hallucinations, social withdrawal, lack of energy, apathy, and reduced ability to express emotion.

The drug, which was approved by the FDA for marketing in 1997, affects a broad range of neurotransmitter receptors, including serotonin receptors. It is also sometimes used to treat the mania associated with bipolar disorder.

News of Seroquel's side effects and emerged as a result of observational data released at a medical conference in Philadelphia which showed that patients on Seroquel had 3.34 times as many cases of diabetes as those on older antipsychotics such as haldoperidol.

Towards the end of August, 2003, news of side effects associated with Seroquel became widely publicized and caused the value of AstraZeneca's stock to decrease by almost one percent.

Soon after, the law firms of Parker & Waichman and Aylstock, Witkens & Sasser announced that a class action lawsuit had been commenced in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida on behalf of all those who had used Seroquel.

This lawsuit contends that AstraZeneca was aware that Seroquel was associated with a high occurrence of diabetes, but they did not take steps to adequately warn doctors or patients in the United States of this potential risk.

The pending lawsuit seeks statutory, exemplary and punitive financial damages from AstraZeneca for their alleged disregard of the well being and health of the plaintiffs and class members (the people who took Seroquel and subsequently developed diabetes).

In addition, the lawsuit also alleges that AstraZeneca aggressively marketed and promoted Seroquel for "off label" use that was beyond its FDA approved indications at the time in question.

AstraZeneca is accused of unfairly offering incentives to doctors and other medical professionals in an effort to increase the number of Seroquel prescriptions that were written.

The Seroquel class action lawsuit seeks to establish a medical monitoring fund to pay for anyone who has taken Seroquel so that they can be tested for diabetes and other blood sugar disorders.

On January 30th, 2004, AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP, the company that markets Seroquel in the United States sent a "Dear Doctor" letter to thousands of doctors throughout the USA. The letter indicated that:

"...Hyperglycemia, in some cases extreme and associated with ketoacidosis or hyperosmolar coma or death, has been reported in patients treated with atypical antipsychotics, including Seroquel."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
    1. 5/5,
      superb post packed with revealing information
      Jun 28, 2012
  2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, lawsuits

Heh-heh! Ya beat me to it! Nice one Wellhelm!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  3. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Re: Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, lawsuits

when I was on risperdal it did cause some rly bad side effects that seriously scared SWIM. i didnt read through the whole post but i will now. can anyone help or does anyone know if swim can get in on the suit?

4. seeingred

seeingred Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  5. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was also on Seroquel, and also had frightening, seizure-like movements.

Same thing with risperdal. Won't touch an anti-psychotic ever again.

1. 3/5,
      they are the worst drugs ever
      Jun 13, 2015
  6. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    I was on Olanzapine and had two seizures, one of which could have been fatal then I was swapped to seroquel and within a month tried to take my life. These are dangerous drugs for some people but can be life changing for others.

7. Vagisil

Vagisil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    this new doc just put me on zyprexa

8. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    I was on Orlanzapine for 2 months or so and he put on loads of weight which made SWIM very depressed, he also lost almost all his muscular strength and was very agitated. Besides that Orlanzapine made SWIM feel just generally awful and never done a thing for his sleep paralysis or his so called psychosis. Which makes him think that maybe he's not suffering from psychosis and the Incubus entity thing could be real, though SWIM hopes its not. 1 in 5 people suffer from sleep paralysis and usually sense the presence an entity and a lot feel it sitting on them or tapping. SWIM's sleep paralysis has just turned into a bit of an extreme case. He's on the waiting to go to a sleep clinic so they can run some tests while he sleeps so it should be interesting.

9. sniffyk8

sniffyk8 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was put on olanzapine for 2 years due to anorexia,it really knocked me about for the first few days but really helped overall with obsessional thoughts and stuff.

10. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Orlanzapine would be an excellent drug for anorexia! Swim put about a stone of fat in about 2 months. You just don't know when to stop eating and never feel full no matter how
    much you eat!

11. r0ssi

r0ssi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am currently being treated for psychosis with the Zyprexa Olanzapine, Yes it makes people put on weight, but only because it increases metabolism greatly and every 3 hours after a huge meal one is felt hungry again.

In an attempt to put swims diet back to what it should be, 3 meals a day at the least, i found that after a huge dinner at night, the next morning I would shit out the last meal in a diaerhea form, a week later I was annorexic!

12. songoflife7

songoflife7 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Really? Interesting. I used to be anorexic, was put on Olanzapine and become bulimic and a cutter, then was put Quetiapine and it turned him into an anxious, violent, binge-eating, "against the world and everyone in it" psychotic basket case. SWIM met several others on Olazapine & Quetiapine and they were bulimic, violent, and crazy on the meds too. Now, I takes Quetiapine only when needed (when he consumes things that make him sick, it takes away the nausea, headache, vomiting, ect.). But when it comes to weight gain and sedation, the anti-depressants Remeron & Celexa take the price. SWIM gained 70 lbs on Celexa in just a few months without eating large amounts of food or sleeping more than usual, and then another 40 lbs on Remeron in an even shorter amount of time. You can try to fight the Remeron all he wants but it will still kick his ass, he will not wake up when he wants/has to, and the eating never stops. EVER.

13. Munkye

Munkye Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from burundi
    SWIM heard about the weight gain and diabetic side-effects of Quetiapine.
    He forces himself to do a short workout every couple of days and eats small amounts all through the day rather than having 3 larger meals. I find this keeps his weight in check.

14. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Found a little update on this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...lmost-all-seroquel-suits-for-647-million.html

Hrm, I can't seem to delete the links...?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    1. 3/5,
      please post the article...do not just link to it, as links die with time.
      Aug 2, 2011
  15. the1

the1 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    My dog tank took both quetiapine, which he says felt very opiate like and was described as drunk looking by his female friend. Then switched to respiradol due to cost and was still all messed up and not feeling any better, paranoid schizophrenia with manic depression like symptoms. Both meds only helped him during the 2-4 hours post administration. This is thought by vet to be from the sedation effect. Respirdol was also way to much coin even the generic so now my pet dog is on thiothixene as is cheap as they come. When discussing this med the vet said he felt the reps sometimes talk a good game about the new meds when really the old ones were just as effective with similar sides.

Since he is my dog I did some research and when discussing side effects like tardive dis. that apear after years, as in 20-30 years use of course a newer med will show this less as no one has been on it that long. Looking at the insert, which is the size of a foldable road map, quitiapene has really only been studied for 12 weeks use. Really, ya give that to people for years. Any who the thiothixene which is a typical has been the best of the three, and while symptoms are still there daily, and "they" are still following my dog where ever he goes, he is getting better at ignoring them. So if my dog took respardol can he get in the suit?

16. DontKnow

DontKnow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am bipolor and I have been cured by with Zyprexa and I think the risks are worth it, considering I have been thinking about suicide from time to time before I took it. I am seeing a psychiatrist regularly and being tightly managed and with labs she is able to see if I'm in danger. I do not use antipsychotics recreationally as they are poor highs. I am following her advise about not drinking alcohol, although I tolerate mj, dxm, and ethnobotanicals I have tried quite well. I have been on Zyprexa for four years.

11 million people use it and other atypical antipsychotics. Only a relative few had tolerance issue, illness, and death. To me, the only side effect is that it makes me drowsy (so I take it at bedtime) and I have cold hands and feet, but these are not bothersome enough to stop this wonderful drug. I sleep better, dont cry anymore or have depressions or crazy sleepless mania. I sleep fine now.

It concerns me that some plantiffs in this suit get greedy and cause the price of these drugs to be so high, that I wish they quit it.

Comments?

17. apanihi

apanihi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    You're not cured by any means you're just treating symptoms with a potent sedative that has a huge amount of side effects. Have a read here from a reformed psychologist to see how good Zyprexa is. His name is Peter Breggin google "huffington post Peter Breggin" and read the article, since links are not allowed.

It's not a wonderful drug at all. It's a hurtful poison that's just used as a chemical lobotomy. It's turned many vibrant and full of life people into lifeless compliant zombies. The reason the price is high is not lawsuits, but big pharma greed, because Eli-Lilly owns exclusive rights for 20 years and they market the crap out of it in the name of profit and increasing share holder revenue.

18. PurrPanther

PurrPanther Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from Canada
    Seroquel for 2 years and half. Developed hypothyroidism after 5 months of being on it. Also, I'm afraid I have some TD because I wake up kicking the wall repetitively (example), I curve my spine randomly and do this creepy little twitch while it's bent, my mouth moved around weirdly, my arm sometimes hits my face/neck repetitively and it's very very UNCONTROLLED and SCARY and my doctors are telling me that it's long-term side effects from my stimulant use and neeevver it would be cause by those amazingly safe medications they are forcing on me by law. I only developed those conditions after starting these medications. The worse is that I'm on a CTO and I get piss tested and if they notice it isn't in my system or not enough I get hospitalized. Oh also I get Haldol injected in my butt once a month. I have an awesome lawyer right now to fight some charges and I'm thinking about talking to him about all this.

19. Jabba420

Jabba420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Washington. In case readers missed it with all the coverage of the Trayvon Martin murder trial and the Supreme Court's rulings on gay marriage and the Voting Rights Act, the US Supreme Court also made a ruling on lawsuits against drug companies for fraud, mislabeling, side effects and accidental death. From now on, 80 percent of all drugs are exempt from legal liability.

In a 5-4 vote, the US Supreme Court struck down a lower court's ruling and award for the victim of a pharmaceutical drug's adverse reaction. According to the victim and the state courts, the drug caused a flesh-eating side effect that left the patient permanently disfigured over most of her body. The adverse reaction was hidden by the drug maker and later forced to be included on all warning labels. But the highest court in the land ruled that the victim had no legal grounds to sue the corporation because its drugs are exempt from lawsuits.

20. Magic Wizard 2013

Magic Wizard 2013 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    RIGHT GUYS, LET'S NOT BEAT AROUND THE BUSH HERE, ANTIPSYCHOTICS ARE A ONE WAY TICKET TO A LIFE OF FATNESS, WETHER THEY HELP YOUR PSYCHOTIC SYMPTOMS OR NOT.

The first time I ran into Antipsychotics was when I was 15. I was getting Panic Attacks b4 school 2 the point where I wouldn't leave the house. My doctor didn't want to start me on antidepressants and said "I wouldn't recommend anything serious like Diazepam" but said that "A mild Tranquilizer should help" and prescribed me a drug called Stelazine. It's generic name is Trifluoperazine. and I had 2 take 2.5mg of it as far as I remember.

Stelazine was a drug from hell from day 1. My whole body felt weird, i got these horrible restless jerks and feelings crawling under my skin, I didn't feel sedated, i felt agitated, i wanted to move, but then I wanted to sit down, and i couldn't sit down, so i got up and paced, then wanted to lie down, but couldn't and just wanted to walk about and keep walking. This was terribly distressing and I had a nightmare moment by the end of the week on it. It was Friday and I finished school and i wanted to go out with my friends to the park to drink but felt anxious before. I very very stupidly took probably around 10-15mg of Stelazine, it was in liquid form so it was easy to dispense. I'll never forgot almost contemplating Suicide.

I started Crying, and pacing, and doing the loop effect of sitting and moving about back and forwards, -now I know that the symptom I was feeling is called Akethisia and is by far the most distressing symptom of any legal/Illegal drug I have ever taken in my life.

I couldn't eat my dinner, I bounced off the seat crying as if there was a tarantula on my knee, I walked round the whole house, I even walked round the neighborhood crying and feeling as if my bones and muscles were twisting and 'spazzing' up, it was literally HELL ON EARTH. Thankfully the sedation took over, and I got maybe 12-15 hours of a deep sedated sleep. when I awoke, I went off the drug, and swore i would never touch an antipsychotic again in my life.

Fast forward 6 years on and I am a 20 year old man, who needs to take Seroquel 350mg daily! after years of serious drug abuse -prescription and illegal, E's, Amphetamines, Weed etc on weekends and daily has taken it's tole on my mind and body! I had a psychotic breakdown last year, and was put on Olanzapine and Lorazepam in hospital. It was clear now that I have been suffering from Bipolar 1 disorder, and all the meds for anxiety and depression and ADHD etc actually made me Manic for years! (best years of my life, daily euphoria) but yes, hospitalization and heavy involuntary Olanzapine administration turned me into a fat bastard. Within 2 months I put on well over 3 stone just on the Olanzapine. I went up to 20mg daily before i said 2 my bitch psychiatrist, I don't want to take it anymore. And was switched to Seroquel 400mg. I'm weening down now and am on 350mg.

I'm starting to address my body weight now, and am determined to work over the next 6 months to get from 13 stone down to 9 again! hopefully i'll get off these shitty cunt meds Antipsychotics and never hear of them again! yes it helps me get to sleep at night, but thats it. it calms racing thoughts accosiated with Bipolar, but it's no comfy benzo type feeling. It's that horrible Histamine type sedation feeling, i take Procyclidine 15mg a day to beat any kind of Akathesia effects, it was worse on Olanzapine, but it's okay with Seroquel I do get the odd "spazz" attack now and then but it's so much better than Olanzapine or Stelazine! I'll never go near an Old school Antipschotic EVER AGAIN!

I just want prescription Amphetamines again. They made me skinny and happy. :( (and crazy but so fuck)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014