Snorting - Old time snuff?

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by powderhead55, Jul 30, 2006.

1. powderhead55

powderhead55 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My english professor was telling us about old times (17-1800s) how people carried around pouches in their sleeves of snuff and would take a pinch and snort it for a nicotine high. This made me real curious and i've been wanting to try it ever since, but only stuff i can find around here called snuff is that skoal shit that tastes like ass and is meant to be packed in ur lip. Do they make this stuff anymore?

2. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm pretty sure the word "high" is used loosely. There are about a million other things You would rather snort/smoke/swallow/plug/sublingual before NICOTINE. I'm willing to make a safe bet that it would not be fun.
    I smoke cigarette's, by the way.

3. powderhead55

powderhead55 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yes high was used loosely, but what do you call that great feeling you get from smoking a cig?

4. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Powderhead55, are you sure that the "skoal shit that tastes like ass" is not the same thing you are looking for? I know a bunch of old people that used to snuff it when they were young, and still do for that matter. Personally, I just keep it under my lip for a couple of hours, then I put a new one in there. Way stronger than the average cigarette. To my knowledge Sweden (where I live) is the only country that has a wide variety of snuff, or "snus" as we call it here. I hear that it is actually illegal in most other countries. I have had a few non-swedish brands which all truly tasted like crap and were a bit to dry to just put under my lip, instead it just crumbled and my whole mouth was full of the stuff. Un-yummy!

5. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, they still make the old fashioned snuff, swim tried snorting a pinch, like he seen his grandma do. Never again. He thought his nose was on fire, his whole nasal system was screwed up for days.
    Years later, he asked granny, why did she snort snuff, since she already dipped it? Her answer was that she wanted that quick kick first thing in the morning. Then swim asked her about cocaine, then she said they made that illegal. Her quote was if it made you feel good, they made it illegal.

6. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I have tried snorting snuff. It burns really badly but does give a fairly strong nicotine rush.

7. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I call that "good feeling" relieving my addiction. I don't get any sort of high (I did for about 10 minutes the first pack or so before I started). Now I just "have" to have them.

8. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I havent done snuff but has done dip (ok once and a while but horrible for your lips), swim knows that back in the 1700s-1800s ppl would do snuff and they carried hankerchiefs that would end up brown because they were used to blot the brown shit constently dripping out of your nose... something about my nose burning horribly and dripping brown shit out and having to blot it constently leaving brown stains on my shirt and anything it drips on sounds slightly less that fun, as said above their are much better ways to get nicotine rushs aswell as much better things for snorting but thats just my 2 cents I havent tried it... Tryin it once might be intresting but i bet i will have wished i didnt,

9. powderhead55

powderhead55 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i got it, here its called european snuff, skoal is called american snuff, but i did find places online it can be ordered so it is still around, thanks everyone

10. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When I was living in Switzerland he got into snuff through some friends. He didn't use it regularly, but when he went to pubs and got a bit plastered a few snorts would really hit the spot.

I haven't used snuff while sober, but while drunk he found that his nose burned a bit and then became numb and he got an instant nicotine rush that would accentuate the drunkeness. It was quite pleasant, and My friends and I would make a habit of passing around the snuff container after having a few pints.

I found it easiest to take a pinch out and place it on the skin that sticks out between his thumb and index finger when he makes an 'L' shape with them by pulling them apart. He would then put that area of skin up to his nose and give a hard snort to suck it up his nostril. Then he just let the rush settle in.

I haven't tried snuff in the United States as some friends told him it wasn't nearly as good as the brand they got in Suisse (can't remember the name). He probably won't try it either as he is trying to quit tobacco at the moment.

Still, if you're drunk, its not bad to try it out. Just don't make a habit of it.

11. INodHardOhYeah

INodHardOhYeah Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Rasberry and mentholated snuff are the best. I would reccomend going to a tobacconist and just telling them you need a tin of rasberry snuff, I used to use it back in highschool for a quick nic fix during class.

12. powderhead55

powderhead55 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    this is probably a dumb question since i havnt seen anything online to say it is, but its legal in the US right? i've never seen it anywhere, is it just cause its not popular?

13. INodHardOhYeah

INodHardOhYeah Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yeah, snuff is totally legal, just not very popular. Any tobacconist should carry it.

14. artisian

artisian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM loves snuff. I have some very good snuff called McChrystals original. Anyone that likes snuff should try it.

15. pickledsheep

pickledsheep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Snuff's great. SWIM's found it in a couple tobacconists up here in Canada. SWIM seems to enjoy rasberry or apricot the most.

16. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    No No. originally tobacco Snuff was used up the nose to drown out other nasty smells, i.e. people not bathing, sewage piling up, 17th 18th century stink. Fairly positive about that.

17. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    and "snuff" in skoal or copenhagen only refers to the type of cut for dipping tobacco, snuff is the finest ground tobacco. if one were to use tobacco up the nose it should be a dried leaf finely blended, not fire cured and not moist, that is if they want a buzz. Super dry cig tobacco in coffee grinder possible snuff like the old times.

18. Ravwbean

Ravwbean Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, swedish snuff or "snus" is much more tastier than skoal:)
    Yes, they do make snuff These days, but its crap hard to find.

I live in sweden too:)

19. Dvgrn

Dvgrn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, I had super dry american spirit rolling tobacco and ground it and used it, it worked but is much more painful, and less tasty than the flavored kind you can get from tobacconist

20. Stuck

Stuck Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    it took swim a while to find a tobacco shop that sells nasal snuff. he finally found a unique shop that did sell it, he went there and purchased 3 different tins and flavors. snuff is quite enjoyable and it provides a subtle synergy with other substances. keep in mind, snuff is by no means meant to be snorted. it is meant to stay in the front part of the nostrils. if it is snorted beyond the sinuses it will BURN!! snuff users generally blow their noses 15 to 30 min after sniffing it. it also provides a pleasant aroma.

a good snuff forum is http://snuffhouse.org/. this website does not discuss snuff sources as far as swim knows.