older users being so rude?

Newbie Help Group.

1. benzochap

benzochap Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    In general why do the older [as in member of the site for longer] memebers of this site act so obnoxiously to new members..? you ask a question that has apparently been asked before you get slapped in the face for not using the search function, you use SWIM not knowing its banned the same and so on...

2. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Imperial Wizzard Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany, Federal Republic of
    In this question I take a step back and let everybody else discuss, benzochap and me have different views on something.
    Benzochap, if there'd be anything personal between you and me I sure would have not approved this question - it's me who owns ( moderates, has founded) the NewbieHelpGroup.

I reassure you I have nothing against you.

3. JizzleJazzle

JizzleJazzle Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    To be fair both of those things are in the site rules which you have to read when you sign up. However simply searching years worth of forums for your answers isn't always that simple, and though the answer may seem obvious to some users I agree they should display some sort of patience towards less knowledgable users.
    As for your question, why do some older users behave like this. I expect generally it's a lack of thought and patience for learning newbies. A site which is generally more tolerant and helpful towards newbies would overall be more productive in my opinion. Passing on knowledge quickly and simply. Newbies almost definitely have valuable input and experiences too, just because they joined a site later than an other doesn't actually represent their full knowledge.

4. leo nard

leo nard Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    AMEN!!
    if only i could give a star to this!

5. Tiff_37

Tiff_37 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Sorry you've had negative experiences with senior members. I've always felt people that act that way were picked on and bullied in real life. This is their one place they get to do it to others. Don't take it personally. It's their issue, not yours.

6. curious_38

curious_38 The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from Ohio
    I always found the elder members to be incredibly helpful and useful! When I joined the format was much more difficult to navigate then it is now. When I joined smartphones were just coming out and you had to use you computer to access DF. The rules and mission has not changed. This is a forum for credible information and honest experiences. If the older members seem rude or bullying, let me tell you that they are not. They are simply being assertive, not trying to hurt other new members feelings. They abide by the same rules as everyone does. This is the right group to join when a member first starts navigating DF. This is were you ask questions about this site and how to use it.

This is about harm reduction which could save lives. That said, DF demands intelligent information that is the point of this forum. It is also nonprofit and doesn't have the resources to do all that DF wants to do. I have been a donating member many times before and will be again. I suggest once you get comfortable with the site and understand how important and unique it is, you will want to donate so this site is still here.

I'm sorry you feel bullied, but it is just the members that know this site want you to be smart and if you are confused you can ask questions here, for instance. I know everyone here wants to help the newbies use and contribute to the forum. Some are more assertive than others, and I get that it might rub some new members the wrong way. Just remember the rules apply to everyone on this site. So please ask for help if you need it! I still do!

7. curious_38

curious_38 The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from Ohio
    Hello DF members. I hope everyone is figuring out this site, I haven't! I want to find my favorite thread about a wine enema but I can't find it! Fuck, that was a funny thread.

8. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Imperial Wizzard Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany, Federal Republic of
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019