Social - On: Magic Mushrooms and Close-mindedness

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by JustAnotherNoob, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JustAnotherNoob

JustAnotherNoob Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I am looking for opinions(ideally female but all are welcome) on a situation
    I am dealing with. I do marijuana maybe three times a week,
    though since college started it has been lowered to once every
    week or two. SWIM's girl of two years does the same, and enjoys drinking
    as well(I amn't much of a drinker).

I have done mushrooms once before, about a year ago, and his girlfriend
    frowned down upon it greatly. Recently SWIM (who's a BIO major) has taken an interest in growing Shrooms for the enjoyment and challenge(I could easily purchase plenty of high quality shrooms if he wanted to).

When SWIM ran this idea past his girl, she responded very negatively, and
    when SWIM inquired as to what her reasons may be, she gave many
    reasons which were completely untrue. SWIM gave his girlfriend factual
    evidence that her fears of mushrooms were nothing more than
    those she inherited from a society that frowns down upon their use(the frown is exceptionally large in the state of SWIM's residence).

SWIM's girlfriend simply said "Nothing you say can change my mind, I don't like them", as well as "it seems like you're turning into a "druggie(cue sad eyes)"". Also, apparently mushroom use once every year constitutes a "druggie", while frequent marijuana use does not.

While I did not push the issue(it is SWIM's girlfriend's right to not like something if she wants) it made SWIM feel very frustrated that his girlfriend hated something because of a deeply sown prejudice which isn't true, and refuses to believe otherwise even when presented with facts to the contrary.

SWIM loves this girl so he'll just have to agree to disagree with her, but he was curious if perhaps others here who've no doubt dealt with similar situations have any positive input.

Thanks for reading if you read the whole thing :)

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    If it was SWIM in you's shoes he would probably end up growing and using the mushrooms anyway and would probably just keep it under wraps. Some people simply will not accept the use of a drug that society has deemed dangerous. It's you's own life, no-one can be given rules as to what they can and can't do in relation to drug use as long as the law are not involved.

3. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM's girlfriend was disturbed when he began ordering research chemicals off the net and boiling cough drops to get DXM powder. Never mind that she was a heavy alcohol user, or that he had been smoking for years. It was the taboo that frightened her.

Now that she's seen what it's done for him, she's tried a few of them herself. 2C-E had a profound effect. She still gets nervous from time to time when he tries something new, but that's just her natural anxiety and paranoia (which he's hoping 2C-E can help her with in the future, when she's ready).

Drugs have improved both of their lives and their relationship.

ECL

4. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    A friend of mine has a girlfriend who abuses cocaine and has also behaved unforgiveably to her and her family. While she is generally open-minded and smokes weed when it's offered, she has an irrational objection to classified drugs due to her one experience with coke. My friend wants to use substances like psilocybin and MDMA but his girlfriend does him to do so even if she's not around. Because of the sensitive nature of her brother's actions, it is difficult to reason with her or present her with facts. For some reason she does not mind drugs as long as they are deemed somewhat acceptable by society (eg, nitrous, BZP, etc.)

How can my friend and I approach this subject with the girl in question without her flipping out? He wants to respect her wishes (i.e. not do it behind her back) and not get into a big argument, but also would like to change her poor opinion of certain drugs and make her realise not everything is like coke.

5. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That might be difficult. There is so much absurd propaganda about drugs in the media. That, coupled with her personal experiences, probably leaves her stridently against them.

Facts could help, if she is vulnerable to them (most people aren't).

1. Not all drugs are addictive - some, like psychedelics, are practically anti-addictive.
    2. Alcohol is one of the most addictive and harmful drugs in existence.
    3. Anti-depression and anti-anxiety meds are "approved", yet can be every bit as dangerous and addicting as street drugs.
    4. Some heroin/meth/coke addicts don't lose everything - some even have jobs and families.
    5. Providing they harm no other, individuals have a moral right to do whatever they like with their own damn bodies.

ECL

1. 5/5,
      useful
      Sep 16, 2006