one of SWIMS friends has a problem

Discussion in 'Cannabis & Health' started by puff puff pass, Sep 3, 2006.

1. puff puff pass

puff puff pass Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My friend has never tried many drugs and he always has the idea if he gets high there is always a slight chance of the high never wearing off.

he wants to know if thier is any way he can (for sure) get rid of the high, swims not really sure what he means but maybe you guys do any thoughts?

2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    All highs pass. Some drugs by their chemical nature last longer than others, & some leave an 'afterglow' for anything up to a couple of days, sometimes longer depending on the intensity of the experience (the flipside of this is the comedown, which can sometimes be a bit rough, especially with stimulants), but all highs pass.

There is always the possibility of drug-induced psychosis, or the experience bringing mental illness to the fore, but this is rare, & in the majority of cases also passes if the person avoids the drug that caused it - in some cases this does require treatment in hospital. There is a lot of debate about whether drugs actually cause mental illness in some people, or whether they just uncover something that was there all along. What can be said for certain is that some people should not take drugs, as the effects they have are seriously detrimental to their mental health, & often those around them. If your friend has a personal or family history of low mood or psychotic illness, then I'd say their fears may be well founded, & that s/he should proceed with caution. That said, A Certain Mouse has known people who have successfully self-medicated their depression with illicit drugs, & people with schizophrenia & manic depression who still enjoy the odd chemical excursion outside their prescribed meds without any ill effects. Do bear in mind that this should only be done with a high degree of self awareness & a strong support network, & is in absolutely no way recommended. The consequences can be dire if things go wrong...

Bear in mind that even legal & prescribed drugs can cause a drug-induced psychosis - alcohol, SSRI's, Wellbutrin, antipsychotics, steroids (even when used properly & not abused for body-building purposes), adderal & ritalin, even some antibiotics have all been known to cause psychotic reactions.

Benzodiazepines can be used to help calm, & some say abort, bad trips, & in a clinical setting (i.e. hospital) antipsychotics are used to manage drug induced psychosis.

Set & setting are important in this respect too - explain to your friend that s/he is more likely to have a positive experience, with less negative after-effects if they are ready for the experience, & if they are in a safe place (physically & emotionally), & with people they trust who preferably have some experience themselves.

It does sound like your friend has perhaps swallowed on too many horror story from the mainstream media - which some would say is the most dangerous drug of all, capable of causing psychosis an a grand scale across wide swathes of the population, & causing some intense withdrawal symptoms in some people. Show your friend around this Forum & also Erowid if s/he still has any worries. The more information s/he has the better if s/he is to make an informed decision about their drug-use.

3. puff puff pass

puff puff pass Newbie

Reputation Points:
    that does sum up everything the reason my friend is having this is because she smoked and she told swim that "the lasted way too long like 3 days or something" swim also not sure how this can happen swim never had this problem, but maybe she has some kind of illness or something

:snort:

4. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Not necessarily. I should have mentioned that some people are just more sensitive than others to chemical changes in their brains, & that not everybody tolerates cannabis well. This doesn't mean that they have an underlying mental illness. It could be that your friend is especially sensitive to cannabis, especially if inexperienced, & if it is one of the stronger strains being smoked. She could maybe react better to a milder more natural strain, or maybe should resign herself to the fact that cannabis doesn't suit her. She's not on her own!

5. Nacumen

Nacumen Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    If you eat a lot of food, is there a chance you'll never be hungry again?

Cannabis has a relatively long half life, which may account for why some users still feel strange for up to a few days after cessation. Also, refer to Micklemouse's description of an afterglow.

Drugs may cause or otherwise bring to the surface latent psychological conditions, chemical imbalances, etc., but they wont keep you high indefinitely.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When SWIM first smoked Marijuana there where a few times SWIM experienced a mild trip. Where as everything seemed it was a older film, and everything was going by like slower frame-by-frame animation, like taking a game running at 30fps and turning it down to 12fps, there was like a time lapse almost it seemed. Now that I have been smoking on a daily basis, this never has happened again. This makes me belive that the proper way of smoking Marijuana is once a week or less, to truly feel the full effects and get everything from it, you need not to smoke daily.

7. merc11292

merc11292 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    when I was an inexperienced smoker he smoked some very high grade cannabis one summer and felt slow and like an idiot for a few days after each toking.

swim assumes relatively inexperienced smokers may have a long "afterglow" like effect if there brain isnt used to it. Lol but in swims opinion large doses of opiates usually overpower an afterglow effect of any drug.

8. thewomaninagreenhat

thewomaninagreenhat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When swim eats after smoking, it always brings swim down. just get some good chocolate cake or some peanut butter crunch ready just in case.

My first post here, but I have been smoking daily for nearly a dozen years, and started smoking 19 years ago.

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Adding to this, I would think someone who experiences a proverbial "three day trip" after smoking some cannabis may feel that way because of their interpretation of these chemical changes, and not so much the chemical changes themselves. It may freak them out a little. Someone who is inexperienced with drugs and doesn't know too much about them often slip into "losing my mind" mentality when realistically it's just being out of your element temporarily.

SWIM imagines smoking very potent weed to be a lot different for him as it would be for the average naive newcomer. That being said, some newcomers are very receptive of these effects and embrace them whole-heartedly. It is very much a your cup-of-tea kind of thing.

10. Pat77235

Pat77235 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have felt a little spaced out for up to 2 days after he smoked 6 cones of good stiuff in 30 mins, but i doubt you's friendwould bestoned for the full amount of that three days..

I have definitley felt spacey and vacant for 3 days after he rolls and smokes a joint or 2 to get him to sleep

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017