Other - Opera Fans 'Prefer Magic Mushrooms'

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by rodent, Sep 17, 2006.

1. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    More than a quarter of classical music fans have tried cannabis while opera lovers prefer magic mushrooms.
    They are among the findings of a new study of music tastes and lifestyles by researchers at the University of Leicester.
    They discovered that fans of every style of music had taken drugs, with those who preferred DJ-based club music topping the list.
    A quarter of classical music buffs have tried cannabis and 12.3 per cent of opera lovers had tried magic mushrooms.
    The study also revealed that blues buffs are the most likely to have received a driving penalty.
    More than 2,500 people were interviewed for the study, which is published in the scientific journal Psychology of Music.
    Fans of musicals come out as the most mild-mannered group, with the lowest level of drug-taking and criminal acts.
    But followers of hip hop and dance music are more likely to have had multiple sex partners over the last five years and were among the biggest drug-takers surveyed.
    "It comes out in the study that, in these types of music, fans score worse in various behaviours, such as criminality, sexual promiscuity and drug use," said Dr Adrian North, who led the research.

---------------------------------------
    Source- http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1996778.html?menu=news.quirkies

2. Shampoo

Shampoo entity of sorts Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from france
    Swim grew up a block away from the Lyric Opera House in Chicago, and at the age of 13 developed a distinct love for art of communication through the means of mudic and theatre. For swim, no where else is the character of the medium of translation, 'the art of translation' more apparent than in an Operatic monologue.

When swim began to grow mushrooms, he would test batches on harvest nights, and for a lucky few harvests nights, a concurring Opera would be performed around the corner!
    Swim first saw Aida (Giuseppe Verdi) after consuming 20 grams fresh P. Cubensis. Giggling wide-eyed with a tuxedo accrue, he found the Opera houses 'empty-box' and mushroomed his way in. As the grandeur of Antonio Ghislanzoni's libretto overwhelmed him, he felt for the first time (a feeling he would feel many times over) an apprehensively honest interpretation of his ever-fluctuating relationship with the consciousness world.
    He spent the remainder of his pre-University schooling under a consistent hypnotic daze of romanticism, funded primarily by his weekly psychedelic Opera habit (with occasional bulk grows for 'friends' with money).

Though he no longer lives close to an Opera house, Swim still prefers to take all his fresh mushrooms with an ample dose of Puccini.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  3. Metomni

Metomni Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find this slightly interesting.

I think that the correspondence is not opera music itself, but music that is inherently very complex and intricately written.

Opera music is some of the most unique music out there, the instrumental portions are often orchestrated and the singing voices are out of this world.

I'd be curious whether or not fans of progressive rock, or highly instrumental forms of metal, or ambient music with many seemingly random noises, or anything else similar would show the same link to mushrooms.

I'm not saying some types of music are "better" than others, I'm just saying that the tendancy to enjoy mushrooms could be linked to people who enjoy overtly complex forms of music.

4. Shampoo

Shampoo entity of sorts Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from france
    Swim can't help but agree.
    As I has lost his regular access to Operatic performance, he has developed a great appreciation for the rich-complexity of progressive-rock and its many facets and precursors (he becomes particularly fascinated by the works of Brian Eno when under the influences of psychedelic mushrooms). A basic assay of swims musically oriented social-experiences (concerts, record stores, jam sessions...etc.) would indicate that the drug of choice for musicians compelled for the exploration of overtly complex musical genres (outside of the ever-popular marijuana) is psychedelics, specifically mushrooms due to their facilitation of complex thought at reasonable dose levels.

Perhaps a poll may confirm this evidence?

5. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find this particular statistic no more surprising nor interesting that if there was a report saying 13% of graduate students have tried mushrooms or whatever. Educated, intelligent individuals are often drawn to psychedelics, and have the money and leisure time for drug use.

It would be cool to see a statistic for how many professional opera musicians have tried mushrooms, a group to which my buddy Eddie belongs. Eddie himself prefers abstract electronic music when on mushrooms.

Thanks for posting this, rodent!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  6. Salvinorum

Salvinorum Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o
    Am I to assume that "scoring worse" means that there is less drug use and sexual promiscuity? I can only assume this because these two are coupled with criminality, but just by this assumption alone I know the study and its conclusions are not meant for people like me.