Opiates and their feel

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Fantasian, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Yes VASTLY differant

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Yes considerably differant

46 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. A little differant but basically the same (ie more itching etc)

26 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. No, didnt notice a thing of differance apart from intensity

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    I've been wondering about this for some time, do people in general feel that differant opiates offer differant highs.

In SWIF's experience Diamorphine IV felt alot darker and more dangerous than morphine but this could have just been placibo. COdeine felt similar to morphine however slightly more itching. SWIF never noticed a significant differant effect like that of consuming differant strains of cannabis.

I am curious, do other find that the differant opiates offer vastly differant feelings. SWIF didnt find this so but then hasnt tried EVERY opiate.

1. 4/5,
      very interesting topic starter
      Oct 15, 2010
  2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    this poll has to be swim's area of expertise =]

much like swifantasian, swim found that diacetylmorphine (heroin) felt very dark and dangerous...if morphine is a dream, diamorphine is a nightmare!

I find morphine and codeine to be largely body highs, itching and warmth and such. sometimes they give a dopey high where swim cant think entirely straight but is amused by everything.

hydromorphone is almost an entirely cerebral high. thinking becomes quite clear, and there is a detached sort of enjoyment of his situation. however he feels no body high, nor most of the standard opiate side effects except for constipation.

oxycodone and hydrocodone, to swim, are a good mix of bodily and mental high. he can think very clearly on either, and becomes much more creative. additionally he feels some warmth but the body high never gets overwhelming like it can with morphine.

fentanyl is mostly an emotional high for swim where he will feel intensely happy, but notice very little has changed with his thought processes, nor does he get much of a body high with this either.

oddly enough propoxyphene and tramadol give similar highs to swim. he cant figure that one out.

3. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Of the few opiates I have tried he has to agree with forthesevenlakes response as he gets very similar feelings from the same substances he mentioned. And they tend to be considerably different from one another.

4. Desertfox

Desertfox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have found the difference of opiates I have experience with(ocycodone, codiene, morphine, methadone, fentanyl, hydrocodone) is the high are all similar only varying in intensity with route of administrion, or combination of other mild drugs(i.e., cannabis)

5. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    EDIT: SWIFantasian already beat me to it!

also, swim wanted to state that tramadol and propoxyphene give him a mild opiate buzz, with a bit of mental fog and sometimes slightly altered thought processes like a low dose of dxm. with tramadol he can understand this because it has some SSRI properties, but cant figure out why propoxyphene would feel the same way.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Doesn't codeine basically become morphine within the body when ingested? Therefore I imagine the effects are pretty-much the exact same.

7. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    yes, its mostly metabolized to morphine, with some metabolism into norcodeine. also the different bioavailability might account for the very slight difference in effect. but they are mostly the same.

8. SumoCat

SumoCat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I haven't much experience with varied forms of opiates, only experience with codeine/hydrocodone of varying brands and dosages. Among those experiences, there's often a noticeable difference in smoothness and duration of effects, and I believe this has to do with the various "fillers" in different manufacturer's pills.

9. dyingtomorrow

dyingtomorrow Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thought this was a very interesting thread that deserved to be bumped.

10. Woody.Brown

Woody.Brown Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Woody finds that different opiates do have slightly different affects but really it's the route of administration that makes the most difference.

11. Lady Codone

Lady Codone Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM chose the "Considerably Different" option. Here's her summary:

*Propoxyphene--no CNS effects whatsoever, except maybe a touch of drowsiness.

*Codeine--euphoria similar to hydrocodone, but a bit milder.

*Hydrocodone--most euphoric opiate of all for SWIM, with a decidedly creative feel.

*Oxycodone--considerably less potent in the euphoria arena than hydro; effects are short-lived and less "heavy".

*Dihydrocodeine--very pleasant, similar to codeine.

*Opium pods--very heavy, sedating high that's almost psychedelic in nature. Closed-eye visuals and a warm feeling throughout the body. Not as euphoric as hydrocodone but longer lasting and more stoning.

12. Pollen

Pollen Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I knew someone whose main opioid was poppy tea, but she had taken some hydrocodone she found in the back of a cabinet one time. She explained that the hydrocodone was definitely missing something she was used to feeling from the poppy tea, something that made the experience feel a bit empty or devoid. Poppy tea definitely has more warmth and sedation than hydrocodone.

13. SWIMJIM

SWIMJIM Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find hydrocodone orgasmic whereas the next step up in power, oxicodone, feels dull and semi-seasick. If I had achoice between the two w/o tylenol in the mix, he's take the hydrocodone. There's definitely a significant difference in the feel to SWIM.

14. talltom

talltom Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have used a variety of opioids over the past three years for chronic and acute pain. Currently he is using 150 micrograms of Fentanyl patches and 8-10 Norco tablets (10 mg codeine/325 mg Tylenol) a day. I have little feeling from the Fentanyl but gets good pain relief. He supposed to wear them for 3 days, but sometimes he needs to replace them after two days.

I get a mild buzz from the Norco, when taken on an empty stomach. He has tried stronger doses (4 to 6 tablets at at time) but notices little difference from the 2 tablets, so does not waste them any more. I am, of course, very opioid tolerant now, and is not recommending this regimen to others, just giving swim's own experience.

After surgery a year ago, I had a morphine pump and could self-inject, but only once an hour. Not sure what the dose was, but felt no "high" from it, just moderate pain relief. I was also given oxicodone for a short time, but that was not effective so swim switched to the patches and Norco which produce the best results all around.

For a couple of years, I was using methadone, as many as six to eight 10 mg tablets at a time. This produced the best high of all but again swim understands this could be a very dangerous dose for someone not tolerant. Also, I could not afford the cost of these and so only took them two or three times a week. I am now on a safe, effective, and affordable regimen of opioids.

1. 3/5,
      Please be careful when using brand names: Norco contains HYDROCODONE, not CODEINE, and there is QUITE a difference! :)
      Oct 28, 2010
  15. cra$h

cra$h Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Philly
    Most opiates obviously give similar feelings, but if your splitting hairs, it's quite a difference. For swim it goes as follows:
    Heroin- the best. Warmth, clear head, total bliss, and still functionable after that IV rush.
    Morphine- VERY similar, just a little less potent, decent rush, very euphoric
    hydromorphone- rush is almost too much, not as blissful as morphine
    oxycodone- very sedating, clear head, decent euphoria
    hydrocodone- the "energy" opiate. Very alive feeling with a strange mix of sedation

16. laws0n

laws0n Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    For SWIM basically any opiate will do the job but they do feel different, and affect SWIM differently for one reason or another.

I will try to explain what each opiate felt like for him with an average dose and method of ingestion.

Oxycodone (OCs Smoked40-80mg): Make SWIM very euphoric, SWIM can go to a party or just pass out, it all depends on circumstances. When I used to smoke OCs with friends he would get VERY irritated very easily, especily if his friend was trying to be bossy. This was probly because it was so expensive and I didnt want to get jewed out of his money.

H (Smoked500mg-1gram Tar or "gun powder"): I would be very euphoric like OCs, except it was more of a mellow feeling. Very fast onset with a relaxing feeling after I feel the effects. He was more laid back and just wanted to chill, he wouldnt mind if he was with friends, he would also get hungry and could eat alot of food after smoking a good amount.

Morphine (pill swallowed 90-120mg): It would have more of a numbing feeling. SWIM's whole body felt heavy and numb, lasted longer so I wouldnt worry as much about redosing.

Hydrocodone (Vicodin swallowed 15-30mg): It would have a numbing effect like Morphine but not as euphoric. I wasnt too much of a fan of it but if its all he had he would take them.

Methadone (Pill Swallowed 10-30mg ): Takes around an hour to feel any effects, the effects creep up on you. When the effects are felt I would get a warm body glow, hard work doesnt sound so bad to SWIM. Not as tired as with other opiates but when SWIM decides to sleep on it it knocks him right out. Great in low doses for a bit of euphoria with being able to save his stash to last him a while.

Suboxone (Pill sublingual 4-8mg): Much like Methadone except when I would be doing hard work or be up moving it would make him sick while Methadone doesnt. Like a "less clean less euphoric methadone" I would compare it to methadone being adderall and suboxone being ritalin if You gets my analogy.

Fentanyl (75 microgram/hPatch Smoked ): Was too intense for SWIM, he couldnt see straight, alot of anxieity, alot of fear. Feeling 10X more numb than morphine, great for killing pain but not so great recreationally.

Daludid (Pill Swallowed 4-8mg): A mix between Morphine and Oxycodone, the numbness of the morphine with the euphoria of the Oxy without the negative side effects.

1. 4/5,
      Nice summary of personal experiences
      Nov 23, 2010
  17. Piglet

Piglet Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o from U.K.
    The primary effect of opiates, as the term is used here, is as a μ receptor agonist. SWIM assumes that the 'feel' of different opioids is due to their activity at other receptors. The phenanthracene class opioids (codeine, morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, diamorphine, DHC and so on) all bind to the δ & κ receptors as well. Fentanyl is an example of a clean μ agonist, levorphanol & ketobemidone examples of μ/NDMA antagonist action. Drugs like ketamine also bind to μ & δ receptors, but are primarily NMDA antagonists.
    Tramadol/tapentalol are examples of μ/serotonin agonist activity giving them their 'flavour'.

18. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    imo some do feel very different. between a iv of hydromorphone, morphine, and oxycodone the difference between the three is night and day practically.

19. phenythylamine

phenythylamine Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Propoxyphene (darvocet, darvon)

Even though this drug has just been yanked from the market for causing heart problems, and the fact that most people think its weak, afoaf actually loved darvon, it made swim nod almost as much as oxycodone, or hydrocodone, definatly better than codeine.

Hydrocodone

the hydrocodone polyristex syrups are the best opiate out there in afoafs opinion (although he has never tried heroin or I.V. any opiates.)

Hydrocodone pills are ok, nothing compared to the euphoria provided by oxycodone though, although the first opiate afoaf ever did was hydro pills and it was the most euphoric he has ever been on opiates (but that was simply because he had no tolerance.)

Oxycodone

euphoric and sedating, but can stay awake when you want to, if afoaf closes his eyes he drifts into nodland. afoaf only wishes he could get a long lasting liquid preperation of oxycodone, it would be ammmmmaazzing.:crazy:crazy:crazy

Poppy pod tea

you know, your right when you said its almost psychedelic, afoaf was having realistic dreamy CEVs all night when he dosed the pod tea, this is actually one of the best opiates he has ever done, he thinks one of the alkaloids in this have effects at the kappa opiod receptor sites causing the dissociative effects, this is the mechanism of action of salvia (from which the "opiate like" compound herkinorin has been derived.)

Tramadol

A terrible excuse for an opiod and a terrible drug to use for recreational purposes at all, this drug significantly lowers ones siezure threshold and unless your definition of a fun night is a ride in an ambulance this drug is practically useless, cant really even get a "nod" off it.

Kratom

Kratom is sometimes great and sometimes almost worthless, it really just depends on the freshness of the plant, and the alkaloid content of the specific batch. oxidation of mitrigynine degrates the opioid compound into a compound with stimulant like properties (as far as I know this is what happens, correct me if im wrong.)

20. Piglet

Piglet Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o from U.K.
    ^Thanks for that. I would really like to do a poll where people put their favourite opioids in order. From comparing binding affinities, Ton,T1/2 and so on, it may be possible to work out the most euphoric opioid - oxycodone seems like it's very popular, but have the people who like it tried levorphanol (for example) or ketobemidone?