Opiates antidote: Naloxone

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by genaro, Jun 20, 2005.

1. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Hi!
    I think it would be safe for opiate users to have some naloxone on hand at home.

Naloxone is not a drug, it's the opiates antidote (opioid antagonist) , it is injected to people getting serious repiratory depression from opiates (heroine, morphine, codeine, dxm, oxycodone, hydrocodone, fentanyl, opium and such).

How to use naloxone: inject 0.4 to 2mg of naloxone in IV (intravenous). Repeat such injections each 2-3 minutes until the person starts breathing reasonably well again but never go over a total dose of 10mg (more than 10mg will increase respiratory depression).

Naloxone containing medecines include: Nalone, Narcan
    (both are injectable solutions containing 0.4mg naloxone/mL)

Note that at the hospital, doctors will first place the patient under artificial respiration (breathing support) and proceed to naloxone injection. And if the patient go through convulsions they would use benzodiazepines injection to stop this (note that benzodiazepines can greatly increase repiratory depression, so leave this to doctors!).
    But normally, naloxone injection alone is enough to get things back to normal quickly (and this part of the treatment is easly down at home, by yourself... if you can get naloxone).

Of course you need to know how to proceed to an IV injection, but this isn't much complicated.

If only I could get some naloxone solution, I would feel a lot better when using massive doses of dxm...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
    1. 3/5,
      very informative thread with good safety info
      Sep 12, 2010
  2. Esmerelda

Esmerelda Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Take-home naloxone

I'm curious about what the situation is with this both here in the UK and elsewhere. I've been doing some reading and as far as I can make out there have been a couple of studies into prescribing naloxone for emergency use, but that the current view is that there is 'lack of sound evidence to suggest that the benefits of take-home naloxone outweigh the risks'.

Any more info? Anyone know any countries where it's routinely prescribed? Links to any reviews/articles etc? Opinions?

This is just for personal interest really. I can be a bit geeky when it comes to research ;).

Thanks

3. madfan

madfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from London
    Re: Take-home naloxone

I was at her drug dependancy clinic yesterday & saw a poster on the waiting room wall which said "naloxone available to all clients.Just ten minutes training required."
    I had always thought that naloxone was an antidote to opiates but when she spoke to her keyworker she was told that its not.It will,however buy time for the o.d victim (swims not absolutely certain but thinks she was told either 20 or 30 minutes).
    Hopefully long enough to get the victim to hospital where - I was told - they will administer subutex,which will kick any other opiate out of the patients system.

4. Rightnow289

Rightnow289 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Nalaxone counteracts heroin. They don't give SWY subbutex in hospital if SWY overdose. Soeone has been telling porkies

5. madfan

madfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from London

Swim likes & trusts her keyworker & can see no reason for her to lie.
    If subutex is taken by someone who has heroin in their system then it will bring on withdrawals so it wood obviously be effective after an o.d.

6. Esmerelda

Esmerelda Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Really? I've not seen it offered anywhere around here (East Anglia). Where abouts is the clinic?

7. madfan

madfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from London

South London

8. chillinwill

chillinwill Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

I forgot who it was and don't have the time right now to search for the thread but someone on here had started a thread on using Bupe to save someone from OD'ing and they describe their story of where and when they used it. Try searching and it might be helpful to the information you are seeking

9. 538wireman

538wireman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Swim THINKS this is the thread SwiChill is talking about:

1. 4/5,
      good job locating and posting that thread
      Feb 14, 2009
  10. mickey_bee

mickey_bee Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

You can get nalaxone here (Brighton) I'm pretty sure. On the wall of the SMS they've got signs sayin Nalaxone training available to all clients.
    I can't see them training you if they're not gonna give it to you.

But then again, they try and train you as to the safest ways to take heroin without actually giving you any.........wankers.

11. Rightnow289

Rightnow289 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Believe SWIM they give you nalaxone. Subbutex has a small amount of nalaxone in it which is why it can help. I have overdosed himself so knows the score

12. mickey_bee

mickey_bee Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

maybe it's different at different hospitals?

Although I has never heard of subbies being used for acute treatment like overdose scenarios.

13. chillinwill

chillinwill Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

Actually Subutex just contains buprenorphine hydrochloride while Suboxone contains buprenorphine hydrochloride and naloxone hydrochloride. The only way that Suboxone might help from OD'ing is if someone activates the Naloxone by IV'ing it or some other measure other than taking it sublingually. The reason buprenorphine is helpful for people OD'ing is because buprenorphine has a higher affinity for the opiate receptors and is a partial agonist thus kicking off any previous opiate agonists already attached on there.

14. madfan

madfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from London

Thanks to chillinwill.I was trying to say the same.thought she had in fact made herself clear.Didn`t believe any keyworker would "tell porkies" about something that could save any swiys life.:cool:

15. rhudson

rhudson Silver Member

Reputation Points:

My cat spoke

""The buprenorphine, NOT just the Naoloxone, will stop the withdrawal in people with a tolerance for opiates (and likely in those without tolerance, too). The Buprenorphine knocks the other full-agnost off the mu opiate receptor because it has a very very high affinity for this site (higher even than naloxone) and the bupe itself is not as potent as whatever is causing the overdose. So buprenorhine WILL reverse an overdose (though afaik hospitals never use it for this) and it has very little do with th the naloxone inside (sublingual adiministration is fine). Anyone who has taken their suboxone too soon after getting high knows this!

Bottom line, if all you have is some suboxone (or subutex, it will work just as well) and someone is overdosing and medical pesonell are't arriving promptly (or at all), you could very well save their live by giving them a modest dose of buprenorphine, like 4 mg, sublingually. It's been done by many junkis already.

Edit: If you aren't very concerned death then I would start with 2 mg suboxone since 4 mg will precipitate _severe_ withdrawals in a tolerant person who has a great deal of full-agonist opiate in their system."