Drug info - OTC stuff in the UK

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by Akewstick, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have had immense amounts of fun with such OTC drugs as DXM, Codeine and Diphenhydramine, he was wondering if there are any other drugs available OTC that are enjoyable?

He was hopeful of Ephedrine, Propylhexedrine and various other chemicals, but has discovered that most of them are either unenjoyable or unavailable in the UK.

Does anyone know any other kind of OTC drugs that are abused by people in the UK?

I'm not planning to break the law in any way, and am not asking for access to illegal drugs.

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Dihydrocodeine is available over the counter in the UK. Similar to codeine but twice as potent. Other than that SWIM can't think of anything.

3. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    codeine is available OTC in the uk? where from?

4. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    Pharmacists...

5. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i didnt think you could buy pure codeine OTC i thought you needed a prescription?

6. Abrad

Reputation Points:
  7. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    which products contain Dihydrocodeine and which contain codeine? if you dont mind me asking...

8. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    Paramol contains 7.5/500 DHC/Paracetamol.
    There are many products containing codeine including Nurofen+, Solpadeine and more. Again, these also contain paracetamol so a CWE is essential. There are also codeine based cough suppressants available although pharmacists are wary to sell them to anybody who they believe will abuse them.

9. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    thank you. how would I go about performing a CWE?

10. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    You would first UTFSE. After doing this he would eventually have found this thread.

11. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM apologises profusly and thanks abrad for his time and help.

12. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    if 7.5 mg of dihydrocodeine is equal to 15mg of codeine, then wouldn't it be possible to get a decent hit with about 10-14 pills?

I'm not saying anyone would recommend SWIM to take 10-14 paracetemol pills without using a CWE, but he's pretty sure he could get away with it, right?

13. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    No!

That amount of paracetamol will cause liver damage and, in some cases, death. ALWAYS perform a CWE. NEVER take more than the stated dose of paracetamol.

14. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    so is paramol kept behind the counter? would i have to ask for it or is it on display?

15. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    It is supervised sales AFAIK. Just ask for it. They may be a little wary of selling it. You should be ready to tell them a reason why you need it.

16. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    are all the products that contain codeine the same? and if SEIM were to ask for some what would SWIM say they were for?

17. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    acute pain i.e real bad tooth ache, migrain, muscular pain, joint pain. if asked point out that You has tryed less powerfull painkillers all ready and they have not worked very well so You wishes something stronger and if it still continues after three days You will consult a doctor.

18. baron samedi

baron samedi Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Any you's in the uk know which opiate based cough suppressants are available OTC. I have heard of Gee's Linctus which he believes contains opium extract. Any you's tried this? Does anyone know of any other i.e. codeine/morphine based?

19. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Too bad about propylhexedrine, it's one of SWIM's favorites. He recently tried levo-methamphetamine (Vick's Inhaler in the U.S.) and there's no doubt whatsoever, propylhexedrine blows it completely out of the water. Don't feel TOO bad though, considering the OTC opiates you guys have available... :)

20. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Gee's Linctus (Contains opium tincture) - Actually hard to aquire as they will usually sell it to old people as its a generation thing. No real medical reason for it nowadays but they will happily sell it to people who have obviously been using it a long time(occasionally that is).

Kaolin & Morphine (Morphine which can be separated fairly easily using time) - As above although slightly easier to aquire, it depends what use and who is selling it.

Codeine Linctus - IS technically still made in [P] format (Pharmacy over the counter) as oppossed to [POM] Prescription only medicine but a LOT of pharmacies choose not to stock it and therefore when they say "we don't sell it" they are often telling the truth. The few pharmacies that still stock it are probably not going to be happy continually selling it. Pharmacies will have big bottles of it for prescriptions but a) they wont sell the big bottles as thats illegal and b) They are not going to bother pouring some into a small bottle, working out what quantity is legal, writing out instructions and a label just for a few quid.

There is pulmo Baily which contains Guaiacol 75mg, Codeine 7mg but isn't really suitable or usefull. Also available J.Collis Brown mixture it contains morphine in very small amounts with peppermint oil - not very large and doesn't seperate easily like kaolin & morphine.

Paramol (Dihydrocodeine + Paracetamol), Neurofen Plus (Codeine + Ibuprofen) + variations on co-codamol are sold usually no questions asked. Well they do ask questions but its more just checking you know what your doing as opposed to an interrogation. They essentially don't care and are just covering their backs unlike the above linctus' which they don't like selling.

There are also a few products containing ephedrine but seeing as they contain other compounds such as theophyllin (which can be dangeous especially taking too much) it is much more sensible to buy ephedra or sida cordifolia (which are both legal in UK) or ephedrine pills which are semi legal (legal to import but are technically prescription only med). This is if one is so inclined anyway, ephedrine is still the unhealthy, heart racing, quasi-horrible stimulant.

Diphenhydramine & Promethazine are also available OTC.

There are many products containing DXM but none of them contain it alone without other chemicals that cause problems. Ranging from paracetamol (extremely dangerous) to sorbitol. There are chewable sweets but they only contain 7.5mg which means a lot of menthol, sorbitol etc. It is essential one knows what one is doing and understands all the ingredients contained in any DXM preperation - there are more threads on this - use the search. Unfortunately its not as convenient as certain products in the U.S.

As mentioned already a cold water extraction is essential on tablets or pills - even taking more than 1g of paracetamol at once and definately no more than 4g in a day. This is no joke - slow liver damage is also possible from taking even small amounts above the recommended dose frequently. ITS NOT WORTH IT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

Be Safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
    1. 3/5,
      Koalin & Morphene still legal! - Who knew!
      Oct 23, 2007