Health - Overdose on delsym (DXM polistirex)

Discussion in 'DXM' started by Riconoen {UGC}, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I took a gram of delsym and got rushed to the hosptital for an overdose, so I adivse all of you to stay the fuck away from polistyrex.

peace.

2. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic
    You took a "gram" of Delsym?

Could You be more specific about what actually happened? Did You do an extraction of the DXM that is in Delsym and then dose with that? Did You drink all of or a portion of a standard Delsym bottle?

SWIM's understanding of polistyrex is that its a time release version of DXM. I don't think its more potent in any way.

3. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    to 6 oz bottles of delsym at once.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    delsym is the time release version of dxm, indeed. but I remember hearing that its somehow more harmful than dxm hbr? he cant remember why, but richard_smoker posted some thread about the dangers of dxm and I think its in there. however I has to go to work now and cant look it up to link it...

hope swiRico is doin alright after that ordeal.

5. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swiRico is aliright bro.

6. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim posted a an Delsym OD earlier this year on this forum, he cant stress how possibly dangerious it is....its long acting and since dxm is an anticholonergic it stops your body from metabolizing the drug at high doses (ie: cant pee, cant shit) so your left in a od state for days, if used properly at low doses it is safe (as safe as olney lessions and such can be) but even with a slightly high dose or in my case large bottles can be nearly fatal... I took the equivelent of less than a g of dxm hbr (so says the label) and has taken higher than 1200mg of hbr many times with no prob it is real danergious stuff! when I had a chance he'll copy his old post here.

1. 3/5,
      Hard to read post and olney's lesions have been disproven in humans
      May 8, 2014
  7. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    from another post made by me

"
    swim must give a warning story (plz dont repeat swims stupidity) it is about a year old so details are iffy.
    I was experienced in DXM, swim decieded that after mixing some hbr and poly (delsym) which was quite nice he would go for a large delsym dose...bad move.

Swim doses a large bottle of delsym (forget the size but the larger of the 2 sizes)... he waits 2 hours and feels it start to kick a lil, he looks to his bottle on the ground still full and says wtf I has done 1200mg of dxm hbr before he could handle 2 bottles of delsym. Long story short he tripped for 2 days straight. Delsym is long acting and the anti cholonergic effect of dxm stops your body from flushing it out... no peeing, no pooping. Swim nearly died, his doctor family member gave him IV fluids continuously and slept next to him for the night to check if he was alright, lucky swim survived. I didnt walk correctly for nearly 4 days, vision was blurred for longer. Swim stayed away from dxm for months. Eventually he went back to monthly robo trips on dxm gels but swore off delsym. Respect the yummy orange syrup... and be careful.

A side note: on delsym bottles it tells you an aproximate equivlency to hbr, dont rely on that, poly is a whole different beast...."

8. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yep man I coulnt piss or shot for hours so I had to get an IV and the doctor monitering me for 11 hours until I finally could piss and then the shit started wearing off, I still can't walk completely correctly right now and this is two day afterward, so as you said respect the orange syrup. I'm swearing off DXM for good after this shit though can't risk another od. Respect DXM period actually and be careful man. I think I'll stick to swishers and jagermeister for now :D

9. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I mean SWIM ignore the I's mods edit it to swim plz don't want to incriminate.

10. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Delsym is available in 3oz. bottles as well as 5 oz. bottles. It states on the bottle that for each 5 mL teaspoon is the equivalent to 30mg of DXM Hbr. So, each 5 oz.bottle (147.86 mL) contains roughly 888mg of DXM. However, it's time-released so it doesn't feel like a 900mg trip on DXM Hbr. Swim says that she'd compare one bottle of delsym to feel something like a 500mg trip on Hbr, but this is just her personal opinion. The reason why the polistirex version is more harmful than the hydrobromide salt is because more of the DXM is converted to DXO. DXO is primarily responsible for the feeling of intoxication and binds mainly the NMDA receptors while DXM binds more strongly to the PCP2 and sigma receptors. The NMDA blockade that DXO causes is what is responsible for most of the neurotoxicity associated with this compound. So really, You had closer to 2grams of DXM. This is dangerous in and of itself not to mention that it was even more harmful due to the fact that it was the polistirex version.

I wish you luck with recovering from the incident. Take care.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  11. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ye I took two 5 oz, one at t-0 and one at t-about 2hr later

12. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim reached platue sigma and was in a state of delirium at the hospital until they detoxed me. so swim must have taken 2 grams (or equivuilant).

13. zzajlatem

zzajlatem Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    delsym is time release and that means time release pee when you're coming down. small pockets of liquid get expunged at long intervals.

14. BloodyMuffin

BloodyMuffin Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    swims typical dose is a 3 oz bottle and he's never had problems. his other friends take 4 and 6 oz. thus far nobody has had issues with it. i mean technically an doctor would consider any non medical DXM effects and overdose. I love my delsym. he always pukes but always has a great time. never had any bad effects.

Edit: Woops... failed to realize how old this thread was.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  15. Herbal Healer 019

Herbal Healer 019 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from france
    SWIM overdosed on Delsym the last time he did DXM (close to 3 years ago) & it was the biggest bottle they made, either 16 or 24 oz, he had shooting pain that felt like electricity going through his kidney area, had swollen eyes & was fucked up for 2 days. The following day I smoked a blunt and was pretty much brain dead retarded. People would talk to him & he'd forget what they said about right after they said it & forget what he was doing and why he was doing it in the process of doing things.

Delsym is weird compared to regular instant release DXM & doesn't get you as high @ first which is why I was compelled to finish the whole bottle in one evening. The experience scared SWIM off DXM forever.

16. EscapeDummy

EscapeDummy Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If you look at the Delsym bottle, it states 5mg polistirex = 30mg HBr, which suggests it is 6x more potent at the same dosage.

Of course, the DXM/DXO ratio will be thrown off due to its time release properties, and that likely accounts for why many people feel as though Delsym is actually LESS intense.

edit: it's only 2x as potent, read below.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    1. 3/5,
      DOn't believe this is correct, could be mistaken though and if it is it's an honest mistake
      Oct 15, 2009
  17. Kamuix

Kamuix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from Canada
    Escape dummy you are the man

18. EscapeDummy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Haha thanks Kamuix. Tryin to spread what I know.

19. BloodyMuffin

BloodyMuffin Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Umm i believe you are mistaken. if i remember right it says DXM polistirex (equivalent of 30mg hbr) per 5 ml. not 5mg. unless you're looking at something else.

Edit: typically ingredients are measured in 15 ml but delsym is a bit different for some reason which may have caused the confusion.

Edit2: I could be mistaken though.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    1. 4/5,
      good catch man, those conversions are important to keep an eye on!
      Oct 15, 2009
  20. EscapeDummy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You are correct, I was mistaken. it's actually only 2x the 'potency', not 6x. However I still believe the DXM/DXO ratio being altered is what attributes to its feeling "smoother/lighter" than in HBr.

Robitussin:
    Active ingredients (in each 5 mL tsp) Purpose [​IMG] Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 15 mg Cough suppressant

Delsym:
    Active Ingredient (in each 5 mL teaspoonful)
    Dextromethorphan polistirex equivalent to 30 mg dextromethorphan hydrobromide"