1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Oxycodone addict gone cold turkey. Taking Kratom. Weight loss and no interest in eating

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by shock_7689, May 17, 2017.

1. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o Male from East Coast, United States
    I have been taking 120-150mg of Oxycodone a day until they run out, which is typically every 2 weeks or so. I am trying to stop taking Oxy all together with the help of Kratom, as I have resorted to Heroin recently just to make my sickness go away. I usually buy (Source removed), 3-30 0.5mg caps at a time and usually 2 x 30Maeng Da and 1 x 30 White Horn and I dose between 3-5 grams a day, or every other day. I have been taking it on and off over the past couple months, usually when I am out of Oxy or money to buy Heroin to snort.

Well, I am done with Heroin that is for sure, and likely Oxy aswell. I am losing weight like crazy, I have been losing weight since I start taking Oxy, I went from 170lbs to 145lbs in 3 mths or so, and stayed stable at 145lbs for a few months. Now, with the Kratom and opiate withdrawal I am down to 135lbs, 10 lbs loss in just over 1 week.

I am a 40 yr old male. Could it be the opiate withdrawal causing the weight loss/lack of appetite, or the Kratom? I have no interest in eating at all without opiates, and even with the opiates I only ate once a day, usually in the evening, because I didn't want to kill my buzz. It has been 3 days since I have taken an opiate and I am in pretty rough shape. I take benzos, which helps for sleep, and have been through benzo withdrawal before which is pretty bad. I just don't want to lose so much weight that I am a weakling and look like I am sick.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  2. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o Male from Buffalo NY
    Kratom no doubt suppresses people's appetites and causes weight loss. I'm also very skinny from it. I'm 5 foot 10, 143 pounds. Kratom made me lose between 10 and 15 pounds when I was already very skinny.

3. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So does opiates. Oxycodone made me lose nearly 30lbs in just a few months. At least now with Kratom, I am getting through the Oxycodone withdrawal process alot more painlessly and I have started to regain my appetite some now that it has been several days since my last dosage of Oxy. My stomach growls like crazy all of the time when taking Kratom though, full stomach or not. Very strange. I only have a few days left of taking the Kratom to combat the opiate withdrawal, then I will try to stop them. My tolerance to Kratom keeps getting higher and higher, since I am taking it everyday and usually throughout the day. So far today I have taken like 8 grams.

4. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes opiates made me lose weight too before I took Kratom, then I just lost more with the Kratom. I can't really say if what you're taking is a lot or not because of the different potency. For example one gram from a vendor can equal 2 grams from a different one. All I know is that I'm up to 20+ grams a day.

5. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    (Source removed) brand Maeng Da, mixed with a little "white horn" white strain. When Maeng Da runs out of steam, I will add the white into the mix to help give me an added boost. Its cheap stuff really, 45 grams for (Price removed), but it seems to be working. It is working better than the more expensive OPMS brand I have tried.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  6. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, I like the way it makes me feel, especially the Meang Da when I haven't burnt myself out on it. But yes, I am just taking it now to get off opiates and then I will quit taking Kratom. I'm thinking that I might need to ween down on the Kratom in a few days or something so I won't feel like shit because of not taking it anymore.

7. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've tried to ween down on it and it seemed pretty hard because I would start to sweat really bad and have anxiety. If you haven't been taking it too long that shouldn't be a problem for you. I've been taking it every day for 8 months I think. I was under the impression that it was as addictive as coffee but that's a lie so be careful.

8. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have klonopin for anxiety, the rest i'm not sure about. Ive been taking it on and off for 3 months or so.. just dabbling with it to see how it works and how much it takes, etc. This is the only time I have taken it daily.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    Ive got to go to the doctor on Monday for my 6 month checkup.. I might see if he will give me some Tramadols to help get off the Kratom. I wont tell him that though, Ill say its b/c of back pain from work.

9. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have a bunch of trams saved up they did used to work when I didn't have Kratom but now they're useless. Like I still have the sweating and anxiety when I don't take Kratom and take tramadol in place of it. It's weird because I always felt like tramadol was stronger than Kratom. Apparently not when you take 20+grams a day.

10. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The strangest thing has just happened. I HAVE THE MUNCHIES! My appetite is back with a vengeance. It must have been the opiate withdrawal causing it. Now that I am nearly through it, or the worst part of it anyway, I just want to eat the biggest value meal I can find, with a large chocolate milkshake. I have a feeling the weight I lost will soon return now. This makes me feel so much better because I was getting awfully weak.

11. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah man I remember when I went to rehab years ago, I gained 40 pounds back in like 2 weeks. Both the withdrawal and the drugs can take someones appetite away.

12. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I wanted to ask you since you mentioned you would rather take Ambien than clonazepam on the other post. I've been taking anywhere between 5 and 15 mg of Ambien every night for about 3 months. If I were to stop would I have withdrawal symptoms similar to benzos? I know it's not a benzo but it almost feels like it is, and I realize I probably wouldn't be able to sleep without it, I'm just more worried about panic attacks. I have never been on it long term. I used to get a months supply years ago and eat all of them in 2 or 3 days. I didn't notice much of withdrawal from it but I'm sure it messed up my mind in some way.

13. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Nope, no wds with ambiens... hard night's sleep maybe. Not even in the same ballpark as real benzos. You might have some mind fog for a couple days, that's about it.

14. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Okay thanks I just didn't want to End up with panic crazy confusion withdrawals again.

15. KratomKing

KratomKing Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Florida, United States
    I do agree kratom can cause appetite failure SOMETIMES (depending on the strain). I sometimes get the munchies on kratom. But I always try to take it on an empty stomach, or 2-4 hours after I eat a meal. But I would not blame kratom if your also using Oxy & Heroin. I'm not trying to sound like a bummer, but you need to eat a healthy meal everyday, including breakfast! Especially if your using Oxy or Heroin! It can deteriorate your health majorly, and very quickly. I suggest literally making a daily schedule, such as when you're going eat, when your going to tamper yourself off opioids, etc... A daily schedule can help TREMENDOUSLY if you do it successfully. You will feel great accomplishment as well.

Also, if you're tryin to get off of Oxy & Heroin, then kratom is definitely the way to go, only if you have a reliable vendor with great quality kratom. If you already have a high opioid tolerance, then the kratom will mainly only be useful for your withdrawals. But once your withdrawals are gone, then I say take a 1-3 week break without using ANY OPIOID RELATED SUBSTANCES (including kratom). After your short break, the kratom effects will be increased majorly! Good luck on overcoming your addiction, and I hope you can find a way to gain your daily appetites back.

16. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, I am using kratom to get off of opiates like oxy and h. I am also mentally fixated on not taking them again, meaning I am not having mental obsessions about them anymore because I have finally got it through my thick skull that I don't need or want them anymore. I'm getting mine from a headshop, its a little on the pricey side from what I compared to online retailers, but its not bunk by any means. It's gotten me this far.

Next I will have to try to get back off of the klonopin, now that will be a real struggle. I miss the way I felt a year ago after being completely straight/sober for over 2 years. I felt like I was almost invincible mentally, after all of the withdrawals from alcohol, benzos, and opiates went away (all at once). It took like a year for me to feel completely back to normal again. I felt like I did when I was a teenager, before I started drinking and taking drugs etc. Sure, I had the occasional anxiety attack, usually around my super sexy supervisor chick I had at the time, but other than that I was perfect. I want to get back to that point again.

17. KratomKing

KratomKing Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Florida, United States
    @shock_7689 i forgot to mention (but you probably already know this) that weed is the best for getting your appetite back! :D

18. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I can't smoke weed anymore. I used to smoke the shit out of it in the 90s, but I had to stop because it was making me too paranoid and also because of drug testing. It got to the point where it wasn't giving me any comfort anymore, it was just getting too strong and kept making me too nervous.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    I just re-upped with 3 more bags of the usual (45 grams in .5 caps). I think potency also depends alot on how old the stuff is. If it has been sitting on a store shelf for years, then it isnt going to pack the same punch as a fresh shipment. The place I get it from usually hooks me up with the newest batches, so maybe that is why I am having a better experience with head shop kratom than others.

19. Bill Doh

Bill Doh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have the exact same problem with weed so does everyone in my family. I smoked it every day as a teenager, but then as an adult I would get depressed, paranoid and anxious from it. I wouldn't smoke it again if someone paid me. ( Maybe if it was a lot of money I would)

20. shock_7689

shock_7689 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    lol If I didnt have to worry about drug tests from my workplace then I MIGHT try it again. Nowadays, weed is MUCH more potent then the shit I used to smoke in the 90s usually. Now, 1 hit and that is it. Takes the fun out of it.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    But yeah, I get the same. Paranoid, depressed, anxious off of just 1 or 2 hits. Even if I were to build up a tolerance to it again it still wouldn't be the same. Doubt ill ever smoke it again, unless I move to Colorado or some pot legal state. Then I will have all kinds of different types of weed to pick and choose from. That might make things different.