Combinations - Oxycodone and Mirtazepine

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by kushh, Mar 20, 2010.

1. kushh

kushh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hi, I know someone who is a recreational Oxy contin user (snorts) He has recently been perscribed remeron (mirtazaoine) for insomnia and loss of appetite. I want to make sure for him that snorting oxy contin while taking remeron is safe. Thanks

2. Enlightenme

Enlightenme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Oxy contin and remeron (mirtazapine)

I would not take them together. If You knows their doses and tolerances, then You can try small doses together to assess the situation. Remeron is used for sleep and taking them together would just make you sleep and increase depressive side effects.

3. kushh

kushh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  4. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Oxy contin and remeron (mirtazapine)

No personal experience. But SWIM STRONGLY advises against the combination.. and not due to "sleepiness", but pending on how long You has been taking the mirtazepine.

The New England Journal of Medicine documents oxycodone as a serotonergic agent, and anyone who understands basic antidepressant pharmacology, knows that mirtazepine is as well. The combination of both stand an increased chance for a hypersensitive individual to suffer from serotonin syndrome. If You has been on the mirtazepine for more than a week, consecutively, it's a no-go. If You were to drop the mirtazepine cold-turkey, pending on how long he/she's been on the medication, within 1-2 weeks it would be perfectly safe to take the oxycodone.

For the record, the naturally occurring opiates, morphine and codeine do not have any serotonergic action, whatsoever. So if You could obtain either as a substitute for the oxy, it'd be a much safer combination.

Also, side-note: do not co-administer the mirtazepine along with any CNS depressant simultaneously. It can suppress respiration.