1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Health - Pain in legs after drinking (Hangover)

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by NeuroChi, Feb 17, 2010.

1. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    A table of mine drank quite the amount of alcohol last night and woke up today with an incredible amount of pain in his legs. This has happened on the odd occasion, but it is quite ridiculous in his opinion how much it hurts today.

It feels like the buildup of lactic acid after a day of strenuous exercise, but it is much more painful.

He's young, and doesn't experience hangovers often if ever as some other furniture usually describes them. He wakes up groggy or tired sometimes but today he's be ready to drink again if he didn't need to pause every minute to massage his legs.

He drank plenty of water, and even consumed two Big Mac's from McDonalds last night, so he's unsure whether he really needs more sodium or not. Perhaps this is the result of an electrolyte imbalance rather than a deficiency. That's his best guess. Any suggestions?

2. chinpokomaster

chinpokomaster Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from england
    I think you should ask a medical professional, if the problem persists. It may be unrelated to the alcohol.

3. missparkles

missparkles Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    Dehydration is a classic symptom of a hangover love. Try making sure you rehydrate your body. Lack of salt and a low blood sugar can cause the headache and achy legs. Also, I've found when I've drank a lot i the past I've also slept very heavily, not moving much in my sleep. That's caused less blood to flow to certain parts of my body on occasion. I've woke up after laying on my arm and the rest of the day it's hurt like fuck.

But as Chin has already said, if this doesn't ease see a doctor, get it checked out, as it's sometimes totally unrelated to a hangover. I've put a link below for a recipe that explains how to make a rehydration drink with just basic stuff you find in your kitchen cupboard. Hope you feel better soon love?

http://www.simplyprepared.com/rehydration drinks.htm

Sparkles.:vibes:

4. chinpokomaster

chinpokomaster Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from england
    If you really do need hydrating, then isotonic sports drinks such as lucozade are designed to replenish the vitamins lost through sweat as well as the water.

5. kasbeq

kasbeq Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Swim experiences pain in legs similar to what OP mentioned – but he only gets it from red wine.

So when he did his allergy test he found out that there are components in red wine that swim is not tolerant to them ( like tannin) .

Similar to the discomfort of lactose intolerant people when they drink a pint of milk

Swiy could observe if any drink causes more pain than the other, and investigate components on the drink that causes most pain, and see if he is intolerant to any of the ingredients.

If not, it could be that swiy is alcohol-intolerant

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  6. diffs

diffs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Swim occasionally wakes up with an aching body after a heavy drinking session. It usually disappears over the course of the day and has certainly never continued into the next day.

Swim has always put this down to dehydration and the body being a bit low on salt, just as has been mentioned by other posters. Apart from that, Swim doesnt really have any other suggestions......sorry. If it continues for any length of time then get checked by the doc, but if its just a short term side effect of drinking, then there' probably not too much that can be done.......unless not drinking is an option ;) lol

7. Charenton

Charenton Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Swim has the same problem sometimes and has found that antistax is helpful.

8. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth

Follow up:

This has not occurred since that instant, and he has drank similar amount of alcohol on many occasions. He is blaming it on the massive intake of Na (sodium) with an imbalance of K (potassium).

When helped was submersion in very hot water (bath) which helped the blood flow and replenish what it needed to. This passed the pain almost instantaneously.

Of course, it was necessary to consume lots of fresh plants (high in K) to get the balance back, and lots of water to flush any extra (NA or K) out.

9. jamf

jamf Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Thanks for the info, SWIM sometimes gets leg pains similar to what SWIY described (but usually while drinking), and has been meaning to do some research as to why that is. He will have to try the different remedies listed above and see if they help.

Also, he too has noticed a nice hot bath (he prefers to take his with the lights off) is a pleasant and soothing hangover cure, (and suggests any other SWIYs who suffer the occasional body soreness/tiredness-type hangover try it, if they want to). ;)

10. normrockefella

normrockefella Newbie

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    chin that shit looks fucking weird lol

Tags: