Panic attacks when smoking cannabis?

Discussion in 'Cannabis & Health' started by Mezza, May 8, 2005.

1. Mezza

Mezza Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.
    HAs anyone ever had a panic attack come out of nowhere while high on MJ? This happened to me twice, and it was pretty scary. It was a long time ago, but a friend telling me the same thing happened to him the other day made me think of it again. You're sitting there, enjoying your high - when all of a sudden things become *really* trippy close objects look REALLY far away, etc. Then, heart rate picks up, you feel super-paranoid and can hardly move.

I took it as a sign it was time to cut back on my favorite herb...

1. 3/5,
      Informational post, can definitely relate
      Oct 13, 2011
  2. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I see close objects that look far away all the time, but I've always
    found it funny. As for the other stuff, no I can't say I have.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    yes, it used to happen to me all the time, and yes it can be very scary, you start panacing over silly things.

all you have to do, is start chating, get lively, put some tunes on, and have a munch!

or drop an ecstasy pill! [​IMG]

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Although smoking while on E is nice, after dropping a few of those little things, the smoking has absolutely no effect.

If you get panic attacks when you smoke there's probably something wrong with you psychologically that the marijuana is bringing out. If it's a real problem I suggest to quit smoking for a while and see if you get panic attacks on their own.

5. max17

max17 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I had paranoia, but close to panic attack. I wasdriving around and though that every other driver was a cop, going after me. lol

6. Fred the Janitor

Fred the Janitor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yea i have but not that serious... things like the room is full of smoke and then ill think i heard footsteps or knocking on the door or something... o my first time too- it was like 12:30 AM up in the hills, no cars driving by, and we were scared as fuck of getting caught... also smokedwith some friends out on this one street and this called said she called the cops so we went away to a differnt spot and every car seemed like a cop car so i got hella scared

7. Sick Jack

Sick Jack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    At the beginning of my relation with the sweet MJ, me and my palls were systematically paranoïd when we smoked.

The had two reasons :
    1) What will mum say if she knows that I toke ?
    2) What will happen if the police catch us ?

The paranoïa ended from the day I didn't give a shit anymore of such considerations [​IMG]

8. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    sometimes when I take extraordinarily huge hits I start sweating and my
    heart rate picks up... I knew it was going to be an anxiety attack but
    I am able to talk myself out of it, if I get a nice glass of water or
    something and just calm down.

9. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    When i am high and i see a cop i have a panic attack. I never am paranoid (knock on wood), but when a cop drives by i freak out. For example, the other day i was sitting in my friends house playing scrabble, high, and a cop drove by with his light on (the white spot light) aimed in the house, there was weed broken out on a baggy, so i grabbed the baggy and the weed, and ran into the kitchen... My heart rate went from ~70bpm resting to ~130ish. He ended up driving by 3 more times, and then i ended up just giving up on worrying. I do know what your saying.

Muirner

10. butter

butter Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey Mezza you basically almost blacked out is what it was. This happens to me a lot when i smoke a lot of good herbs i tend to find sleep rejuvinating.

Hope this helps you

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. TranceAddict

TranceAddict Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    surprisingly I had a major panic attack one time on x when i did it
    alone...real real bad. I called a friend and she freaked out when she
    heard me.

12. bubaloo

bubaloo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    The best thing to do in these situations is:
    1. Have a glass of cold water or squash (nothing fizzy)
    2. Have a nice warm shower.
    3. Tell yourself "Im just really stoned, nothing bad will happen"
    4. Put on some chilled out music.
    5. Get up and move around.

Do not attempt to drive!

13. kj_hash420

kj_hash420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Canada
    i had a panic attack on a trip in mexico, i bought some weed off of the first mexican i asked and smoked all week long, and i only had one joint left by the last day which i smoked right before we went to get on the plane, and while we were in the airport a drug dog went right past me and it was prolly pretty stupid of me to panic since i had no weed or anything, but i just smoked the joint right before and i was worried that it could smeel pot smoke on me and i panicked big time

14. prospero

prospero Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Two friends of mine were in Italy and were offered to smoke MJ for the first time in their lives - aftersmoking a few puffs each they then both experienced massive panic attacks. They both thought they were going to die and ended up calling an ambulance, tellingthe paramedics they had eaten dodgy fish, and were kept in hospital overnight. They were released the next day but both of them suffered periodic panic attacks for FIVE YEARS afterwards (never having had them before) and neither of them as ever smoked MJ (or any other drug) ever again.

15. KillerKind

KillerKind Silver Member

Reputation Points:

This is a ridiculous statement. [​IMG]

It is quite common here, especially when tolerance is low or the bud is
    kind. As you can see from the replies, it is nothing abnormal to feel a
    bit of paranoia when smoking Marijuana.

Bubaloo has some great advice on dealing with this in his post above.

16. felix21

felix21 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    the best way i can think to explain it, is that it just happens. it has never happened to me, but i have smoked with people who really freak out, it may have something to do with a phsycological problem but i doubt it

17. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    Anxiety - Panic Attack-

i can't smoke no more!
    I have smoked for many many years, many grams everyday...
    but now i can't.
    Even a single draw drive me mad.
    I start feeling paranoid about my heart,my breathing, i feel my head is blowing up like a balloon...moreover everything seems so weird and absurd...

My state of health is ok, i did all the necessary examination to see is something was wrong with my heart...

But now what else should i try???

18. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    ive never heard of pot causeing heart problems, but if the problem persists i would consult ur doctor, and tell hi mthe truth, you wont get into ne trouble for having smoked in the pst and im sure hed be happy to hear uve quit, just a get a simple check up o be sure, ur health is nothing to fool aroudn with. i dunno if the "necessary examination" was by you or a professional but id go wiht hte prefessional. If u turn up ok in medical exams, im sure the symptoms will pass and youll be fine.

19. thegod1

thegod1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, if you havent already, get it professionally checked. I really doubt it's anything serious though.

Did you have a bad experience with weed before this? If so, it's probably being caused by you expecting it to go bad so it does.

What are you actually asking? Do you want to continue smoking weed but can't because the bad effects? Or are you worried about your health?

20. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    as I said i did all the necessary examination, my heart and everything else seems OK.

I use any other kind of drug without any sides...

I 'd really like to go on smoking,but i can't because of these anxiety problems!
    I'd like to know if anybody else know a possible cause for these panik attack while smoking....