Health - Paroxetine Tapering?

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by BeetleJuice, Jul 3, 2005.

1. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Hey all, just wondering if anyone has had any experience getting off aropax (paxil).I was taking the usual 20mg a day dose then decided to cut down to 10mg a day for a month which went ok and now im on 5mg a day.Problem is , i can only ever go to the 3rd day of not taking any the before i get withdrawal symptoms, mainly a wierdy dizzyness/electric shock type feeling thats not very plesant. So...Has anyone here ever been on and stopped taking aropax and if so any advice or info on how long i should try to stick it out before the withdrawals dissapear?

Thanks for the helpEdited by: BeetleJuice

2. thegreenman

thegreenman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i had the same problem with withdrawals when i tried to get off paxil,
    i got down to 5mg then started takeing it every other day (which heped
    a little) but in the end i decided to just take going through the
    withdrawls. they lasted about a week maybe a little more the first 2
    days were the worst and i slept for most of the time. good luck on
    trying to get off of it

3. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Cool , thanks for the reply... ill see how i go with the withdrawals.. seems like the only way to go tho...

Peace

4. miffy

miffy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The electric shocks in yer head feeling sounds very similar to
    something I've experienced with Effexor (Venfafaxine). I'm afraid I
    don't have a solution, though - I'm still on it.

Can you reduce at a lesser rate? Maybe go to 9mg, then 8, etc?

5. illusion98

illusion98 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ihave the same reaction with effexor if i forget to take it for a few hours after my usual time thats what ussualy reminds me to take it. and i was on paxil for 2 yrs befor the efexor and i dient have really bad withdraws but if i started feeling weird i would just take a few mil grams to take off the edge until it stoped

6. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Stuff might give you open, oozing sores on your head and arms.

7. marleysherb

marleysherb Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    With SSRI's, it's very difficult to come down from the stuff without it giving you any withdraws. The best thing to do is come down one milligram at a time for each week until the cycle is finished. With Benzo's, you should come down .25 mg or smaller per week until you feel comfortable again and the withdraws seem to dissapear. Good [email protected]!

8. jarka

jarka Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from finland
    I was on Paxil (actually Seroxat but it's the same thing) for about 5 months (at first I was on 10mg/day and later 20mg/day) and quitted cold turkey with no withdrawals whatsoever.. And I don't want to use any ADs ever again..

9. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    This is impossible: None of the SSRI's are available in mg pills/capsules. This is also true for most of the Benzo's. IIRC Xanax is the only Benzo that comes in .25 denominations.

Enlist your doctors help if you plan to withdraw (particularly from Benzos as it's one of the nastiest ones around). If you don't like your doctor, find a new one. There ARE some good ones around

10. jarka

jarka Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from finland
    Can anyone explain, why didn't I have any problems quitting taking paroxetine (paxil, seroxat.. whatever)?? It seems so weird to read about people having the most terrible parts of their life after quitting SSRIs?

11. bonghed

bonghed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Discuss honestly as is sensible with doc, pm me for advice bro, n good luck,it's fucking hard.

12. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    The first time I was on paroxetine I was for 3 moths and quit cold turkey. I got these electric shocks and very vivid dreams. Also I was as horny as hell.

When the electric zaps were too bad I used to take a few mg of paroxetine and quickly went away. This was for 2 weeks. Withdrawing was disgusting, but very easy.

The second time I was for another 3 months and also quit cold turkey. I had no withdrawal at all. This was weird cause I didn't have electric sensation, I wasn't very horny and my dreams were normal. But after a week or so my anxiety was very bad. I thought of taking it again but didn't. I'm paroxetine free for 2 years

13. decliningdruguse

decliningdruguse Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    What is paxil used for? I have a friend (no really, its my friend) who is taking it. I am curious why the drug is prescribed (for depression?) , what it does to the body, and how it makes you feel?

I had no idea there were withdrawl symptoms.

If someone could enlighten me to it I'd like to hear people expereience with it. Do you feel it helped you, or harmed you? Did your thought process change? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks, its always nice to be able to get a better understanding of things to be more supportive.

14. decliningdruguse

decliningdruguse Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Also, do people abuse this drug?

15. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Here is a longgggg thread about paroxetine (paxil) and it's effect in one young woman. The experience is a common one regards the psychotic reaction. Get some tea and read:

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/14891

It is about more than just paxil, but it should answer a few of your questions. Other than this thread - look around here. There is more info kicking about.