Passionflower maoi strenght?

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by mala_22, Aug 12, 2006.

1. mala_22

mala_22 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been taking an off the shelf herbal remedy cantaining the following.

Motherwort powder 34mg
    hops powder 75mg
    passionflower powder 58mg
    wild lettuce extract 29mg
    valerian extract 50mg
    and some B vitamins

I take them for what they are designed. ie- to relieve worry, irritability and aid sleep, and was suprised to find that they work.

I take between 2 and 7 pills a day (within reccomended dosage). This means I am taking between 116mg and 406mg of passionflower. I understand that passionflower is an maoi, he suspects the maoi effect is not very strong but would like to check its strength and wether it is safe if he was to take some other substance and wether it would increase the effects at all, in perticular Mescaline and/or ephedrine. He thinks it would be safe but also needs to know for dosage purposes, as swim only has a little experience with mescaline.

Also does anyone have any comments about the other substances in the pills, for long term use.

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    58 mg of passion flower is not active at all, unless it is a extract. If it is, then it depends upon what strength the extract is. It is suggested that passion flower contains harmala alkaloids. It is hard to say if your extract contains these alkaloids as well. If it is a full spectrum extract, we can assume it does.

3. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    While you should be pretty safe, passion flowers use as a MAOI is probably closer to choclate than say syrian rue, why not just not take the pills on the day of your experiments with ephedra and mescaline, just to be on the safe side. I can,t see the pills being of any benefit to the experiments with these substances, they could be counterproductive with ephedra. They are probably to mild to be of much benefit in taking the edge of a mescaline trip.
    Swim thinks the smartshops promote passionflower as a greater maoi (mushroom booster) than it really is in much the same way they claim Damiana to give a marijuana like high;)