Netherlands - Passport information

Discussion in 'Coffeeshops' started by budlover, Oct 10, 2006.

1. budlover

budlover Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Why do some coffeeshops take your personal information? What is it used for? Is this a common practice? Is it safe?

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    AFAIK it is only for age verification. If an underaged person is found in the coffeeshop, it means closing of the coffeeshop.

3. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I also believe it is a law that you need to have your passport with you at all times now in the Netherlands, at least if you are a foreigner. Not sure, though I was told this last time I was there. If so it would make sense that the shops would check that as its not likely people will have fakes.

4. Goodall

Goodall Newbie

Reputation Points:
    when i was in the dam, about a month ago, we (myself and some friends) were only asked for ID in one coffee shop, and we went to a fair few in the 5 days that were were in the dam. With regards to having to carry your passport with you at all times im not too sure about that, as when we were there a quite nice girl at one of the camping sites (camping zeeburg if your really interested) said that she needed one of our passports kept behind the desk. I imagine it was incase we broke stuff or tried to get away without paying, but she also said it would be ok for my 2 friends to keep thier passports behind the counter too, as apparently some of the more shady characters in the dam have been known to mug tourits for thier passports and cash.

5. neversummer

neversummer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    73 y/o from The Netherlands
    You dont need your passport at all times, coffee shops accept US drivers liscences as ID's. they dont take your personal information they have no reason to, if they do I wouldnt stay. Passports are easy for them though

6. yaba

yaba Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    When swim lived in Amsterdam (he is Dutch) There was never a need for a paspoort. Has it changed in the last 7 years ?

7. weebl

weebl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from The Netherlands
    Passport is used for age verification and yes you are obligated to carry a passport with you at all times, or European identification card.

8. rocksmokinmachine

rocksmokinmachine Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from earth
    One should carry a passport (or other form of ID) on them at all times.

9. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    The identification duty in the Netherlands means anyone should be able to identify themselves to law enforcement if one has committed a crime, or when there is a threat of terrorist attacks. Only official identification papers are allowed, which are Passports, European identity cards and European drivers licences, if one cannot provide official identification papers when asked, one will be fined. In coffeeshops, one needs identification papers to be able to prove one is 18 or older, but one does not need official identification papers, most other proof will do as well, as long as it doesn't look easilly forgeable.

10. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    I go to amsterdam roughly 3 times a year.
    The only reason you would be asked for your passport is if you looked underage.

11. rocksmokinmachine

rocksmokinmachine Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from earth
    Its not just because one looks underage. Coffeeshops will loose thier license if caught selling cannabis to minors. I have been ID'd recently and does definately look his age. It is the duty of the coffeeshop staff to check all ID, as if a police check was to occur (which they do) the business would be in jeoprady.

I have seen 30 year olds get carded, and taken real offence.

12. C11H15

C11H15 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have never been asked for my passport, but some form of official age verification.
    I had been to amsterdam the year before around the same time and seen this very upmarket looking coffeeshop in a far-out district but could go in because i was with a large group etc etc. But this year i had found it! we went in an smoked and had a coffee.
    But on my arrival i was asked for my i.d. so i showed the man and he refused me entry on the grounds that my UK drivers license was a Provisional. (for non-uk people reading; a provisional driver's license is like a learners permit but is exactly the same and as official as a passed drivers license)
    This confused me and after asking why he got all offended and upset so i left after he said 'it's no good here'. It was still valid, and displayed my date of birth.