Opinions - peri peri sauce for bloody maries?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Akewstick, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    For some reason or another, I have lots of "peri peri sauce", it's really runny and made out of birds eye chillies, it's a lot like tabasco, could I use this for bloody maries instead of tabasco or worcester sauce?

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Worcestershire is nothing like Tabasco and has it's own truly unique flavor. It is something the Brits found in India and stuck the Union Jack into and called their own. Regards substitutes for Tabasco Sauce - any hot-sauce could do the job. One of my favorites for general use is called Salsa de la Viuda, which translates to Sauce of the Widow. It shows this grinning, old lady on the label. I figure she used this particular sauce to kill her husband with. It's much, much hotter than Tabasco. Then there is Dave's Insanity Sauce, which requires the store-keeper to issue a warning to the customer. It really could kill you!

It comes in handy for dinner-guests that I do not wish to return.

3. London_Bloke

London_Bloke Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    In Nagognog's house, the old adage is literally true:

"Fish and guests smell after 3 days."

4. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    Peri peri also has its own unique flavor (a very nice one: I don't suppose your brand is Nando's, is it? That one's the best!) and would probably not be recommended for a standard-issue bloody Mary. Tabasco and Worstershire sauce are necessary, though as Nag says above, you could substitute just about any "red" hot sauce for the Tabasco in a pinch.

Anyone tried Matouk's papaya sauce? It's blisteringly hot, but with tons of flavor (unlike Dave's, which is just stupid-hot and not nice tasting at all). Highly recommended.

5. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Nando's is what it is, I have found it's an excellent way to live off £3 for 4-5 days and actually be able to taste something that you eat! Hurray for being a Scummy stoner/student.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Tabasco has recently come out with a new product - Tabasco Chipotle Sauce. Chipotle being smoked (not like that, ya pod-head) jalapenos. It's excellent! Not like that foul, green muck they came out with a few years back. This one's a winner. It would be great in a Bloody Mary. Or a Bloody Shame.

7. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    grandbaby; nice to see another fan of matouk's! definitely the best hot sauce ever. the orange kind goes great with pineapples.

a little off topic, i know :p

8. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Chipotle is indeed great in a Bloody Mary.

SWIJ likes to use chilli vodka in hers (as well as tabasco, worcester sauce, dry sherry and some celery salt)

While peri peri is nice on chicken SWIJ doesn't think it has the slightly sour taste that is essential in a BM (in her not so humble opinion anyway!)

@ Nag: "Bloody Shame"? It doesn't have any vodka in it so yes it is!