Petunia violacea

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by depter, Dec 28, 2005.

1. depter

depter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I just wanted to ask if anybody have experience with Petunia, because I have it in my garden, but I don't know how to use it, how much, what are the effects, dangers, etc...

:cool:Thanks:cool:

2. joechip666

joechip666 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    The Golden Guide: Hallucinogenic Plants states:
    I can find no other sources for it being psychoactive. Most likely, this is simply the result of confusion of Petunia violacea with Ipomoea violacea (Morning Glory): Petunia's are probably not psychoactive.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I would be surprised if it were a mistake in identity. But I know of one other plant that reportedly gives a sensation of flight: Aconite, or commonly called Monkshood. The active principle causes the heart to slow down dramatically, which causes this sensation. It was an ingredient in the so-called flying-ointments used by Witches in the Middle Ages. It is also an extremely poisonous substance. A tiny bit too much and you're dead.

I'd steer very clear of this until more tests have been done.

4. Demonslayer

Demonslayer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I tried petunia which I have in my garden, the usual garden variety. A good handful of flowers made a deep red tea which tasted very good but no psychoactive effect at all. I tried doubling the dose but still no effect.
    I really doubt that this plant has any effect whatsoever.

5. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    or mabey the active alkaloid cannot be removed by making a simple tea, you could try smoking it, but like nag said i would probly steer clear.

6. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: Petunia

In the Highland of Ecuador, Shanin (Petunia violacea) was reportedly utilized as an entheogen. Chemical investigations have been unable to determine it's active principle. Novel diterpenes were found in the closely related Petunia patagonica and several ketones are known to occur in the genus. Indians of Ecuador report feelings of levitation and soaring through the air.

Some 40 species of Petunias grow in South America and in warmer parts of North America. Members of the nightshade family, Solanaceae, they are closely allied to the genus Nicotiana (tobacco).

I am guessing Tropanes, these can cause sensation of flight. Extreme caution should be given to all members of Solanaceae family.

Apparently grows in the Whitehouse garden and is a favourite of Bush,s wife.

7. Metalcore322

Metalcore322 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Swim and his friend tried smoking it (about 4 grams, mostly uncured). It was a pretty good sedative and a mild euphoriant. The whole experience lasted about an hour. I am going to try a tea and then an extract of it. He'll post a thread when done.

8. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o

Petunia is a very pretty flower and is also one of swims favorites in his garden.Favorites to look at and enjoy planting that is.

9. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

Please stop being as unspecific as relating to the Petunia species in general. This thread is about Petunia violacea.

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The only plant I know of that elicits a sensation of flight is Aconite (Monkshood, Wolfsbane) - aconitum napellus. It does this by lowering your heartrate. Flight might not be the best description, though. Falling might be.

It is often fatal. Knowing EXACTLY what you are doing is a pre-requisite.

11. Underground alchemist

Underground alchemist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o
    Ok first off, quit bieng extremely vague about species information and quit spreading your "plant" rumors. Is petunia hallucinogenic? hmmm...I don't believe so,

Specifically on petunia, there is a plant which grows in Waco Texas which is a copy- cat petunia look alike (jagged leaves slightly smaller trumpet flowers), which is extremely hallucinogenic (I got a numbing feeling on my fingers when i rubbed on its blue trumpet flowers) it has no smell, or at least isn't noticable like petunia. In the morning i will post a picture of it, it grows as a small garden weed here, extremely drought tolerant, dosn't grow up north. I believe it is Nierembergia Sp.

There is also an extreme petunia look alike called calibrachoa which was previously classified under petunia species, to me would also fit the description of a potential hallucinogenic plant. Because it was discovered by an Columbian Pharmacist and its a known medicinal plant, this to me would suggest to a very likely candidate for the "shanin" plant.

I strongly believe that because the way the word is built Petunia coming from "petun" or "tobacco" in Tupi, that it is a case of mistaken identity, Shanin is in highland Ecuador (west in the mountains), Tupis live in the brazillian rainforest. Furthermore I have injested petunia violacea during the spring when temps are moderate specifically microwave tea style 2 times, It did not seem to have any effect on me. It could also be that only the wild variety of petunia violacea is hallucinogenic, because the type you buy in the store has been extremely hybridized.

Addressing Nagonog:
    Do not ingest Akonite it is extremely toxic, 100 micrograms of Aconitum is enough to kill an adult. you are foolish and do not know anything about herbs, aconite was used to poison kings not "trip out" you are thinking henbane, or nightshade.