Combinations - Peyohuasca?!

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by HippieD9, Jan 12, 2005.

1. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    One of the most complete scientific studies of ayahuasca yet conducted reported the use by Peruvian Indians of a cultivated Opuntia species, called tchai in Sharanahua, as an ayahuasca admixture, and said to be "very strong." Another cactus, a species of Epiphyllum, known as pokere in Sharanahua and wamapanako in Culina, was likewise added to ayahuasca.(15) A Shipibo informant recently stated that tchai was no longer employed in ayahuasca, the resulting brew becoming too intense.(16) We have no phytochemical data on these cacti, but several species of Opuntia are known to contain low levels of mescaline, (17) and preliminary human bioassays suggest that the B-carboline harmaline might in fact potentiate mescaline - low doses of 60 and 100 mg mescaline hydrochloride, corresponding to 51 and 86 mg base or 0.78 and 1.32 mg/kg respectively, were decidedly psychoactive. The combination of mescaline or mescaline-containing cacti with B-carbolines has been dubbed peyohuasca.(5,18)

Anyone else heard of this? Trip reports? That sounds like something that might be interesting to try.

Peace,

D.

2. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I've heard that MAOi's increases the potency of mescaline, without being more toxic. I think Shulgin mentions it in TIHKAL, under the Harmaline chapter, I also think D.M.Turner mentions it in the Essential Psychedelic Guide.

3. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From TIHKAL,

WITH MESCALINE

(with 100 mg harmaline, 60 mg mescaline (3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine) [20 min]) "At two hours I was in a pleasant state of physical relaxation, a fine sense of well being, and I found music most enjoyable. From then to the fourth hour, thoughts flowed freely, and it became obvious that insight was a major part of this experience. Normally unconscious thoughts were easily available. It was as if I could observe my mind in operation, as facts were weighed to form conclusions. By the sixth hour music was a thing of beauty, with the higher notes crisp and clear. The harmaline has probably worn off. Sleep at eight hours, and the next day was without any adverse effects. This was a remarkable experience, the insight of TMA, and the relaxation of MDMA."

(with 150 mg harmaline, 100 mg mescaline [15 min]) "A stomach ache developed at about 45 minutes, followed by a mild nausea which occurred intermittently throughout the next six hours. I felt comfortable, although there was a slight discoordination at about two hours. Walking was never a problem but did require more concentration than normal. Colors on the television were obviously more intense, and highly saturated at this point and moderate photophobia developed. Even a fire in the fireplace was distracting, and stereo was best enjoyed in the dark. Attempts at sleep did not work until the ninth hour. Upon awakening there was a feeling of dehydration but otherwise no ill effects. Mild looseness of stools was present later that morning. Since experiments using only mescaline at doses between 80 and 120 mg resulted in no CNS effects at all, it seems clear that the MAO blocking effects of the harmaline were crucial to this experience.

4. dmax

dmax Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I've heard of DPT being used to make an ayahuasca equivalent instead of
    plants containing DMT. Sounds somewhat interesting, althouhg DMT
    might be more fun than DPT. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

5. xctico

xctico Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from costa_rica
    Mescaline and SNRI's?

Since mescaline's effect depends on the interaction of serotonine and
    dopamine [it can be fully supressed by administering regular dosages of
    haloperinol; a dopamine represant or a serotonine antagonist like methysergide</font>],

Could the effects of mescaline be amplified by taking a dopamine
    reuptake inhibitor and a serotonine reuptake inhibitor [like
    venlafaxine, which happens to be a serotonine and norepinephrine
    reuptake inhibitor and a light dopamine reuptake inhibitor {an SNRI}]?

On the other hand...

The advantage of using a MAOI

The aditional dopamine that mescaline causes the brain to release will
    get absorbed by monoamine oxidation, so you basically have to produce
    more dopamine. If you use a MAOI, then you let dopamine and serotonine
    levels rise. There fore with a MAOI you require lower dosages to get
    the same high.

Be carefull not to combine both [SNRI or SSRI/ and MAOI!!] as it may
    lead to serotonine sindrome, a particullary nasty way to die!! You
    basically become hypersensitive to serotonine and/or dopamine
    [SNRI,SSRI], and stop getting rid of it {MAOI} at the same time!

6. Darthcarlos

Darthcarlos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    sounds interesting.

7. fastandbulbous

fastandbulbous Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    You have to be very careful combining MAOI's with phenethylamines, as quite a few also have pressor activity (alter blood pressure). Although mescaline doesn't seem too bad, I wouldn't think about trying it with any of the 2C compounds, as the 2,5-dimethoxy groups are also a feature of some drugs used specifically for treating low blood pressure. combining one of theses with a MAOI might end up as a trip to an A&E dept with the beginnings of a hypertensive crisis