Peyote button group??

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by Slim_Smillie, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Slim_Smillie

Slim_Smillie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I recently recieved a Peyote button group of between 10-20 buttons in the post which arrived earlier today.

I was expecting the buttons to be dried etc and ready to pop in your mouth.

Needless to say its come inside a plant pot filled with earth, and I have little room to plant it!

What should SWIM do? Are the buttons merely still in a plant pot for travel reasons? Or has SWIM been swindlled into thinking he was recieving ready-made trip cacti????

HELP THE SWIMMe!!!!

2. Barebonejoe

Barebonejoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    they still have what you want, probably. all you have to do is cut them off above the root and throw them in the oven at its lowest heat and they're ready to go, once they're dry.

Make sure they are mature enough. If they are not, they won't be very potent, and will be a waste of money. If they're more than 4-5 cm in diameter, I think they should be ready to go.

If I were you, I would keep them planted in the pot for a few weeks to let them adjust to the new environment, (full sun, water every 2 weeks, or until soil is completely dry), THEN cut them off about a 1/2 cm above the roots. That way more buttons will pop up from the roots for future harvesting.

Good luck.

3. Slim_Smillie

Slim_Smillie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    SWIM thanks you v. v. much and is going to try and post up a picture of what he has so he can get a further opinion...

Unfortunately I have no garden (living ain't easy) and has decided to keep it planted, feeding it water every 2 weeks under a normal room light... will this damage results? if so please advise SWIM on best action to take...

CHEERS!!!

4. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    That should be fine. Do you have a windowledge you can put it on?

5. Slim_Smillie

Slim_Smillie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    swim do indeed, trying 2 upload photos now.

6. Slim_Smillie

Slim_Smillie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
  7. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Water every two weeks always.

8. Slim_Smillie

Slim_Smillie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Yay I love my little Peyote already lol...

Any nutrients or just general cacti tips? I kno the peyote is considered a reverent and mystical being so I want it to be as chuffed as it can be... before it hypothetically gets stuffed down SWIM's gob.

9. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    You are one lucky SWIM, SWIM! Bongo would be delighted to have those growing in his cage.

And Bongo loved to eat the fresh buttons much more then the dried ones. He just pulled out the cotton tufts (so they won't stick in SWIM's throat and between the teeth) and chew them thoroughly. One large button was nice as an introduction.

If SWIM tops (cuts) the cacti, applying a small dusting of sulfur powder will help keep the cacti from catching any infections that may be around. Many drug stores carry sulfur powder. Tell 'em it's for a herbal poultice, if they get nosey.